Help us choose a color for a Dakota?

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
My wife doesn't have to dress me in the morning ... only because she has already made sure everything in my closet matches everything else in my closet.

I'm color challenged.

Feedback on the 2 color scheme samples we're kicking around? Or suggestions on others?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-19 at 7.36.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-19 at 7.36.04 AM.png
    556.4 KB · Views: 150
  • Screen Shot 2018-01-19 at 7.35.49 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-19 at 7.35.49 AM.png
    573.6 KB · Views: 145
go with white and paint 'airplane' on the side

Not sure I'd do the swooshy paint line thing, seems kinda like the airplane version of those tribal tats everyone was getting back in the late 90s early 2000s.

That is the same paint scheme that I have. Here is what it looks like in burgundy. Of the two color combos you posted, I much prefer the blue one.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    260.3 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
I'm partial to original paint schemes whenever possible. Your Dakota is a 1983 model. Piper painted all '83 PA-28s in the same scheme, very simple, pleasant, and easy for a paint shop to duplicate.

Screen Shot 2018-01-19 at 8.13.23 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-19 at 8.12.12 AM.png

I especially liked the color combination in the '83 Turbo Arrow brochure -- "Firethorn" and "Claret" (dark burgundy) stripes over "Sandalwood Tan" and "Juneau White" base tones:

Screen Shot 2018-01-19 at 8.14.49 AM.jpeg

I liked it so much I had my Grumman Cheetah painted in that combination, using Piper's colors:

Screen Shot 2018-01-19 at 8.15.28 AM.png

Last edited:
I'm partial to original paint schemes whenever possible. Your Dakota is a 1983 model. Piper painted all '83 PA-28s in the same scheme, very simple, pleasant, and easy for a paint shop to duplicate.

View attachment 59426

View attachment 59429

I especially liked the color combination in the '83 Turbo Arrow brochure -- "Firethorn" and "Claret" (dark burgundy) stripes over "Sandalwood Tan" and "Juneau White" base tones:

View attachment 59430

I liked it so much I had my Grumman Cheetah painted in that combination, using Piper's colors:

View attachment 59428

That.

Though sometimes using the original paint scheme, but with your own colors looks nice, that's what many of the skywagon a restorations do, but for sure the original layout nearly always looks better.

Please, please not Cessna brown and orange.....

th

Of those two, the blue one rocks! But British Racing Green would also look good . . .

That blue looks real sharp.....

Ran across this video the other day....really like how it turned out. Did a nice job on the interior too.

Blue. But I am not fond of grey on an airplane.

Just don’t paint it the typical brown colors they always used back in the day...

My wife doesn't have to dress me in the morning ... only because she has already made sure everything in my closet matches everything else in my closet.

I'm color challenged.

Feedback on the 2 color scheme samples we're kicking around? Or suggestions on others?

Thanks!
I vote for RED!!!!!

Bright dayglow yella with black stripes! Let 'em know you're coming!

Like this, except more yella.

20170729_113337.jpg

Of the two? The gray one is my preference. Paint schemes are hard work, eh?

Back