Does FIS-B count as "the weather?"

Van Johnston

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Van Johnston
Does having FIS-B weather count as "having the weather" at your destination?

The following scenario has happened to me more than once: coming home VFR to uncontrolled airport with AWOS near busy class C with flight following. Get handed off from center to local approach approx 60 miles out. Approach asks if I have the destination weather. I reply no, and add that I typically can't receive the destination AWOS until I'm within 20 miles. Controller asks me to tell him when I get the weather, and that if I can't get it he'll read it to me. I replied "Roger, I'll let you know when I have the weather."

A little while later, after a controller change, new controller calls me up, and reads me the destination METAR unsolicited. I look over at the GPS and see I am still 33 miles out.

I feel bad the controllers felt like they needed to read me the weather and congest the frequency. (And from what I could tell, it sounded like she was working most of the Charlie space except for the commercial departures). First of all, I did technically have it via FIS-B. Second, I did plan to get it, but know from experience I have to be within 20 min, and had tried to convey that previously.

So, should I have answered the initial query with "yes, I have the weather," since I did have it?

I've looked in the AIM (4-1-18, 4-3-26, 4-5-9, 7-1-10) and don't see any clear guidance.

What does POA say?

Well, technically i could say I have the weather from the METAR I get from FIS-B, but I won't know if it's Kilo or Mike or whatever. Same 5hing i call the ASOS phone number, it tells me everything apart from which version (lack of a better term) Regs... no idea

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

If you don't have to reply with an ATIS letter, I am fine with 'having the weather' via FIS-B. Prudent aviator double checks the FIS-B once they are able to tune a radio.

My opinion:

From an ATC perspective when you say you have the wx at an uncontrolled field then I'm clean. I don't care how you got it.

From my own flying stand-point. I will say I have the wx if they ask based on FIS-B and then get the AWOS/ASOS later when I'm able. I do this just to be sure there isn't anything pertinent added for the airport (i.e. runway or taxiway closure, etc).

When ATC asks if you have the current weather at the nontowered destination, they are asking if you have the current AWOS, not a perhaps hour old METAR acquired from FIS-B.

Maybe this why some controllers have begun to ask if you have the "1-minute weather."

When ATC asks if you have the current weather at the nontowered destination, they are asking if you have the current AWOS, not a perhaps hour old METAR acquired from FIS-B.

Maybe this why some controllers have begun to ask if you have the "1-minute weather."

I'm sure there are different systems that show different things, however don't most of the weather displays also show the age of the information?

Practically speaking, for AWOS/ASOS fields, a datalink form of WX is fine for "having the weather." If the field is controlled, datalink does not count as the ATIS. But by the same token, ATC should not refer to as the ATIS as "the weather" either. They may do so due to casualness or habit but in that case, I would not respond affirmative until I have actually listened to the ATIS recording even if I'm looking right at the same WX info on the panel. ATIS, as we all know includes other pertinent information beyond weather conditions (e.g., runway/taxiway conditions/closures, wildlife and other useful info).

I'm sure there are different systems that show different things, however don't most of the weather displays also show the age of the information?
They do, but a METAR is METAR. There are a few problems with it as a substitute fore the current airport weather.

For two, first, it is not as current, even if updated with a SPECI. The AWOS weather you get on the radio is current within the numbers of seconds since it took for the recording to start again. That might make no difference on a lovely day, but make it one of those close T/D days with multiple wind shifts and it can make a pretty big difference.

Second, the winds on the METAR are true; the AWOS winds are magnetic. If I care about the wind, I'd rather not have to convert based on the local variation.

Last edited:
If you don't have to reply with an ATIS letter, I am fine with 'having the weather' via FIS-B. Prudent aviator double checks the FIS-B once they are able to tune a radio.
What uncontrolled field has "letter" weather ? Maybe the same places that have "local" Charlie approachs extending 60 miles?

Yup. I tell them I have the "hourly weather" if my only source is XM. They typically ask me when coming home when I'm still way too far away to receive the AWOS.

Back