Cessna Panel Overlay Alternatives

AK737pilot

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Chris
I've started my panel project on my 182. Originally I thought I'd just be able to remove the old panel and fabricate a new one, but it looks a little more complicated than that!

I've taken off the old black plastic overlay, and a couple of the old instruments I don't want anymore (ADF, GPS OBS, Autopilot). I was thinking I could use the plastic overlay as a template to fabricate a new one and put some fiberlites between the panel and the overlay.

My question is should I just go with an aluminum sheet (powder coated in Boeing gray), or is there something else out there I haven't considered?

Thanks!

Original Panel
25898980248_0dbf42d1d8_c.jpg

Starting to pull stuff out:
25898977948_98c76c1ab1_c.jpg

I don't know the answer to your question, but 4 months ago I ended up buying used originals in good shape to eventually replace my 182 cracked panel...yet to do it though.

A follow up question is how do folks do the placards and labels? I've seen them printed on and also decals you can get from places like Aircraft Spruce.

And lastly, why do we even need anything to cover the panel? That just seems stupid. What's wrong with us?

LOL! I know what you mean! The airplane will still fly fine with holes in the panel!

How about mask everything off and spray fresh coat of paint on it??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And lastly, why do we even need anything to cover the panel? That just seems stupid. What's wrong with us?
I ask myself this question every time I'm browsing Trade a Plane, Controller, etc.
Most all of the panels that look nice, have no plastic cover, and the screws showing.
Also tend to like contrasting lighter panel color (such as the gray), but not in every case.
I'm sure that the plastic can cover some older butchered up panels and help a lot, but they'll never look as good as the nice ones without plastic. IMO

Check out SairCorp. They will fabricate you a custom instrument panel to your specifications and to what color you want. Definitely an investment but they look great.

you can very well just repaint the overlay. Check out planeplastics. You can order an entire sticker/placard kit.

I love it when you post that Stan. I am envious. I think you said you did the work yourself, right?

This is my freshly painted overlay. Rustoleum Flat Black.

panel[1].jpg
Now that the G5's are installed, I'm giving serious consideration to pulling the overlay and actual panel out and making my own out of aluminum. I can by 0.090" alum from McMaster and trace the giant arc that is my panel. Cut it on a band saw and sand the cut clean enough.

The instrument holes are a pretty simple matter and can be done any number of ways. A jig will ensure the mounting screws are perfect every time.

Incidentally, my reason for wanting this isn't the overlay (which now looks great with fresh paint), but instead the knob cut outs that no longer match the instrument that's in its place. Case in point, the wristwatch dead-center is hiding a HUGE hole.

However, my IA advises me of legal concerns. You can't just throw in whatever you want. He doesn't much care, but come resale time, someone might.

I started with stock cessna and tried painting the overlays. Then I tried to replace them with Plane Plastics parts, which didn't align correctly. Then a scrapped the whole thing and replaced it with a home made replacement panel and new shock mounts. I wanted a VFR panel with applied labels so things could be revised, and in the last 8 years that's paid off. Roll your own. The linked slide show includes more than just my panel but it's the easiest way to show the panel pics.

Wow! Nice job!

I’m not sure I’m ready to take it all out and rewire it. It’s a rat’s nest back there! Maybe next winter!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is my freshly painted overlay. Rustoleum Flat Black.

View attachment 59407
Now that the G5's are installed, I'm giving serious consideration to pulling the overlay and actual panel out and making my own out of aluminum. I can by 0.090" alum from McMaster and trace the giant arc that is my panel. Cut it on a band saw and sand the cut clean enough.

The instrument holes are a pretty simple matter and can be done any number of ways. A jig will ensure the mounting screws are perfect every time.

Incidentally, my reason for wanting this isn't the overlay (which now looks great with fresh paint), but instead the knob cut outs that no longer match the instrument that's in its place. Case in point, the wristwatch dead-center is hiding a HUGE hole.

However, my IA advises me of legal concerns. You can't just throw in whatever you want. He doesn't much care, but come resale time, someone might.

I'd probably do something similar, removing the plastic overlay and installing a metal one it it's place is a minor alteration. All of these overlays are decorative trim. As long as they aren't made with something that burns like crazy or adds a significant amount of weight or alters the primary structure behind it, its minor.

I started with stock cessna and tried painting the overlays. Then I tried to replace them with Plane Plastics parts, which didn't align correctly. Then a scrapped the whole thing and replaced it with a home made replacement panel and new shock mounts. I wanted a VFR panel with applied labels so things could be revised, and in the last 8 years that's paid off. Roll your own. The linked slide show includes more than just my panel but it's the easiest way to show the panel pics.
That's what an airplane should look like!! It's simple, but looks very nice.

I think I'm going to keep it simple and fabricate a new aluminum overlay. The structure of the original panel is not something I want to mess with quite yet!

First step, I think, is to make a template out of plexiglass. I'll use the original overlay for the general dimensions, make a couple holes for mounting and the instrument knobs then attach it to the instrument panel. With a sharpie, I'll trace the instrument positions and cut those out. When I think I have it all lined up, I'll transfer it all to aluminum and powder coat it. Probably go with a dark gray.

Any tips/tricks as I get started??

I think I'm going to keep it simple and fabricate a new aluminum overlay. The structure of the original panel is not something I want to mess with quite yet!

First step, I think, is to make a template out of plexiglass. I'll use the original overlay for the general dimensions, make a couple holes for mounting and the instrument knobs then attach it to the instrument panel. With a sharpie, I'll trace the instrument positions and cut those out. When I think I have it all lined up, I'll transfer it all to aluminum and powder coat it. Probably go with a dark gray.

Any tips/tricks as I get started??
Try to find a shop with a CNC water jet table. If they have any experience they can make one in a fraction of the time and it will be a lot nicer than drilling, Cutting , filing, etc. Have them give you a copy of the program and then in the future if you want to make any changes it will be very simple.

Over at piper forum people are doing crazy things with hydrodipping and getting carbon fibre look on their panels... I am intrigued and the finished overlays looks cool

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Try to find a shop with a CNC water jet table. If they have any experience they can make one in a fraction of the time and it will be a lot nicer than drilling, Cutting , filing, etc. Have them give you a copy of the program and then in the future if you want to make any changes it will be very simple.

Our local avionics shop has a CNC router affair to make new panels extremely precisely. They design it on the computer, then the computer runs the machinery. They take the new panel, paint it white, then paint it gray or black or whatever, then stick it back in the machine and engrave through the dark topcoat, exposing the white, to form all the placards required. Its beautiful stuff.

Don’t most Cessnas have a spacer between the plastic overlay and the structural panel?
If so, how’s best way to neatly attach a new aluminum panel overlay?

Mine just had the thin plastic overlay and the press-fit “buttons” holding it on. Works ok, I guess. With my new overlay I’ll probably use some rivnuts and screws.

I went to the local plastics shop and they sold me a sheet of 1/8” ABS that I cut and formed and with my handy dandy Dremmel tool. It came out ok. To the novice it looks great, but I’ll see the imperfections for as long as it’s installed!

Here’s the right side:
f303c2fd813bb878bf0053178402acc5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Call Southern Avionics in Fairhope AL.. Ask for Matt H. They have a CNC and powder coating too. They can do a special paint that is laser etched, and when light power is added it all glows like glow in the dark sickers.

Here is what we did. We got rid of the the old Cessna plastic (for the most part).

Attachments

• IMG_0345.jpg
    IMG_0345.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 220
Call Southern Avionics in Fairhope AL.. Ask for Matt H. They have a CNC and powder coating too. They can do a special paint that is laser etched, and when light power is added it all glows like glow in the dark sickers.
Any photos of this?

Back