Cheap LED landing/taxi lights

Oh, it's better than that. The owner can MANUFACTURE (from a kit, if they wish c.f 21.303 (b)(2), STC not necessary) the lamps and then install them as an owner with a simple logbook entry.

Jim

jim does that mean that the RST led landing light kit will be available soon?

bob

Jim, it's all included in that second photo! ;)

Lol, it's brighter for sure, but really from the outside it looks the same as the LEDs on the other planes around here, I was going to take a down range shot of it, but the snow bank infront of my hangar door and awol shovel kinda nixed that.

I'll post one in a day or so, also at least in the hangar with the engine off, didn't notice any RF issues, and the two lights have screw terminals on the back so no mods in wiring required.

Oh, it's better than that. The owner can MANUFACTURE (from a kit, if they wish c.f 21.303 (b)(2), STC not necessary) the lamps and then install them as an owner with a simple logbook entry.

Actually don’t you need 2 logbook entries? One by the owner, and one by A&P?

Careful the Handxen.com bulbs from China mentioned above have non-standard wiring connections and require modification of the electrical connection. Some of the these builds built for Chinese tractors and trucks are emit a lot of radio inference..

Citation, please?

Thanks,

Jim

Last edited:
Actually don’t you need 2 logbook entries? One by the owner, and one by A&P?
If we can believe the quote from MURPHEY, above, that, " rules changed so that an owner can replace without A&P signoff" then it doesn't matter who manufactured the bulb, the owner can sign it off for manufacture under 21.303 and then the install using the Murphey quotation.

However, I'd like to see a cite on the Murphey quotation.

Jim

If we can believe the quote from MURPHEY, above, that, " rules changed so that an owner can replace without A&P signoff" then it doesn't matter who manufactured the bulb, the owner can sign it off for manufacture under 21.303 and then the install using the Murphey quotation.

However, I'd like to see a cite on the Murphey quotation.

Jim
I was referring only to Whelen and Aeroled models.

From Whelen's website, list of STCs and PMAs:
http://www.whelen.com/aviation/product.php?head_id=13&prod_id=197
Under Documents, you'll notice both STC and PMA for the lights. Under AC43, all that's needed is logbook entry by the pilot. I installed mine before it was PMA and the A&P looked at it, wondered why he has to sign off and do paperwork, but he did. FAA changed the rules a few years later.

Citation, please?

Thanks, Jim

Just look at the picture in the ad. The cheap Chinese build has pigtails and not the owner maintenance compliant standard screw type connector. Buy one and have a local tech put an oscilloscope on your ground system with the light on to see the noise on you electrical bus. The Whealen has noise suppression circuitry. This is just a farm tractor light.

61MF9A4rBdL._SL1001_.jpg

Just look at the picture in the ad. The cheap Chinese build has pigtails and not the owner maintenance compliant standard screw type connector. Buy one and have a local tech put an oscilloscope on your ground system with the light on to see the noise on you electrical bus. The Whealen has noise suppression circuitry. This is just a farm tractor light.

61MF9A4rBdL._SL1001_.jpg

Uhh, most all of the fleets PAR light are tractor lights slick!

What do you think that old GE bulb it replaced was lol

Also the ones from pilotgoodies have two screws on the back, I have not gotten any noise on any of my comms.

James, the difference is the voltage to current circuit embedded in the LED lights where the incandescents only require a simple voltage input, and don't have anything that can drive noise back into the system. If yours works, that's great. The original question being answered were for the Handxen bulbs. I'm not familiar with the one's you're referring too.

Last edited:
James, the difference is the voltage to current circuit embedded in the LED lights where the incandescents only require a simple voltage input, and don't have anything that can drive noise back into the system. If yours works, that's great. The original question being answered were for the Handxen bulbs. I'm not familiar with the one's you're referring too.

The ones I'm referring to are the ones this link was about.

jim does that mean that the RST led landing light kit will be available soon?

bob
Quite probably. I'm getting REAL TIRED of all this "Chinese crap" and such when I don't have hard data on what the hullabaloo is all about. By the way, those of you that think that the "approved" lights are so great ought to check the country of origin of the little LEDS on the plates themselves. jw

Pictures in the ad mean squat. You don't like pigtails? I'll put on a Cinch terminal block and a homebrew LC filter for electrical noise about 50 cents. YOu now satisfied and can quit your kvetching?

I'm miss quoted above. I never said anything about adding LC filters or clinching pigtails.

To the contrary, anything other than straight like for like mounting or attachment to the harness is not FAA allowed owner preventive maintenance unless by an A&P.

So, I swapped out my panel bulbs on my Cherokee, which are essentially automotive bulbs (GE53) with automotive LEDs that are GE compatible but use much less power. Is that a problem?

So, I swapped out my panel bulbs on my Cherokee, which are essentially automotive bulbs (GE53) with automotive LEDs that are GE compatible but use much less power. Is that a problem?

No

Back