Filing off airway?

DesertNomad

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
DesertNomad
I am trying to file KRNO to KRYN.Everything is fine down to GFS, then the airways don't go where I am going.

If I file KRNO-FMG-V105/V135-GFS then PKE, VICKO, V66, ALMON, what is likely to happen?

I've never tried anything like that, and there's no reason to think that I know what I'm talking about, but I'm guessing that you'll be cleared to fly what you filed except for the part that goes through a restricted area. Are you /G?

Yes I am /G and I'm pretty sure there are no R areas on that route (it skirts several), though there are a couple MOAs.

Disregard. When I entered your proposed route into Skyvector, it made an incorrect assumption about how you were planning to get from VICKO TO V66 because you didn't specify that.

Yes I am /G and I'm pretty sure there are no R areas on that route (it skirts several), though there are a couple MOAs.

IFR aircraft will not be routed through an active MOA if separation cannot be provided.

ATC prefers it, they often change me to Direct-to except around MOAs and DC area. I’m guessing crowded areas like northeast would be the same.

Many places I have been want me on airways even if you are /g.

FWIW, while I haven't flown in SoCal or much in the NE, I've flown around most of the middle of the country and Florida and have yet to have any issues filing (and generally getting) direct.

Nearly always get direct out here in the west. Restricted areas can be a bother. Radar problems and lower altitudes in remote areas can be a bother. Sometimes you’ll get put on an airway to deal with the bother. Position reporting is soooo much fun.

For the OP. The FAA computers should be able to handle the proposed route AIUI. They just need fixes to build the route. I’d prolly just file direct BTY direct RYN. Las Vegas might give a vector or reroute but so what. I’m assuming OROCA isn’t a problem. Might be a bad assumption.

IFR aircraft will not be routed through an active MOA if separation cannot be provided.
His planned route takes him through Turtle MOA, with a floor of 11,000 MSL, and Quail MOA, with a floor of 10,000. Maybe ATC would let him fly below those altitudes. If not, he might be able to cancel IFR, depending on the weather.

See AIM 5-1-8 Flight Plan (FAA Form 7233-1)--Domestic IFR Flight
c. Direct Flight, and
d. Area Navigation (RNAV)

If I can just go off-airway (never filed like that), I'd just do KRNO-FMG-OAL-BTY-EED-BXK-KRYN at 11,000'. No idea if that will work.

I've done that route VFR to KHII (and onward to KAVQ) but then I substituted GBN instead of BXK.

If I can just go off-airway (never filed like that), I'd just do KRNO-FMG-OAL-BTY-EED-BXK-KRYN at 11,000'. No idea if that will work.

I've done that route VFR to KHII (and onward to KAVQ) but then I substituted GBN instead of BXK.
The only thing the FAA computers need is a fix within a few (who knows how many) miles of a center boundary for a direct route that crosses center boundaries. DUATS will generate fixes automagically for you so the route will be acceptable. After that routes can be changed at just about any point in the process until the aircraft is landed. It’s part of the fun of long IFR cross country trips...advise when ready to copy...

As a side note I’ve almost always filed direct. Around here (Denver) the clearance will include a SID when departing. A STAR will be tacked on when arriving but usually isn’t part of the initial clearance when flying home from outside the area. Sometimes we will just get vectors for arrival but only when we don’t have to cross or be near the arrival corridors for DEN.

The only thing the FAA computers need is a fix within a few (who knows how many) miles of a center boundary for a direct route that crosses center boundaries. DUATS will generate fixes automagically for you so the route will be acceptable. After that routes can be changed at just about any point in the process until the aircraft is landed. It’s part of the fun of long IFR cross country trips...advise when ready to copy...

As a side note I’ve almost always filed direct. Around here (Denver) the clearance will include a SID when departing. A STAR will be tacked on when arriving but usually isn’t part of the initial clearance when flying home from outside the area. Sometimes we will just get vectors for arrival but only when we don’t have to cross or be near the arrival corridors for DEN.

In my experience, the FAA computers have no issue handling a straight "direct" flight plan. I never file fixes, just airport - direct - airport. Never had an issue, including on long flights that cross multiple center boundaries.

In my experience, the FAA computers have no issue handling a straight "direct" flight plan. I never file fixes, just airport - direct - airport. Never had an issue, including on long flights that cross multiple center boundaries.
As I said the fixes are generated automagically. Whether you see them or not is another topic entirely. Now perhaps the FAA system has been updated and no longer requires the fixes. Dunno. Do know it was a requirement and the filing software dealt with it. The requirement apparently grew out of the way routes were generated by each center since all the centers operated independently and didn’t have many fixes outside of their territory.

As I said the fixes are generated automagically. Whether you see them or not is another topic entirely. Now perhaps the FAA system has been updated and no longer requires the fixes. Dunno. Do know it was a requirement and the filing software dealt with it. The requirement apparently grew out of the way routes were generated by each center since all the centers operated independently and didn’t have many fixes outside of their territory.

All I know is I file "direct" with no intermediate fixes, and I'm usually cleared direct with no fixes given. Maybe the controller sees some fixes on his end, but that's never conveyed to me.

They pretty much have to if there is no radar coverage. Of course, there's some facilities here that want to climb you to get you in radar coverage even if you are filed/cleared via an airway.

That may not work here because I need to avoid Area 51 and all the R areas there, plus direct has lots of terrain issues.

FWIW, while I haven't flown in SoCal or much in the NE, I've flown around most of the middle of the country and Florida and have yet to have any issues filing (and generally getting) direct.
Around here in the San Diego and Los Angeles area I always get airway routing, even though I'm also /G

It is not uncommon for them to give you a slight heading change for traffic and then tell you to intercept another Victor Airway to some VOR then proceeded back on your route

See AIM 5-1-8 Flight Plan (FAA Form 7233-1)--Domestic IFR Flight
c. Direct Flight, and
d. Area Navigation (RNAV)

Back