Interview with a Millenial

Oh no. You are absolutely wrong. We had training where I used to work where they explained the differences between the generations and how we had do design our product differently for each target gen. I don't remember much about it other than us boomers didn't understand technology because we didn't grow up with computers and stuff. Of course, that left me wondering who created all those computers for the younger generations to use since us geezers didn't know how they worked and all.
Again with one of my "when I owned my business stories":

When I owned my business, which was heavily dependent on computers (client/server), imaging, networking, etc, I was the one that had to fix all the problems. Even in my '60s, where I was 25 to 40+ years older than almost all of the employees, I was the one they called when even simple things went wrong. Even when I wrote simple, cookbook type instructions for recovering from simple problems, it seemed to be beyond most of their grasps. There were a few exceptions of course, but the kids just couldn't get it and had to call the "old man" to get them running again. Even today when I go visit, they often have a backlog of computer issues they ask me to help them with.
Of course though, they were better at social media than I was, and I let them put that to good use with our marketing and customer contact needs.

Absolutely wrong? Not slightly or moderately or modestly or even greatly but absolutely? That hurts my middle aged feelings. :(

Millennials also tend to confuse the meanings of 'literally' and 'figuratively'.

What is the stereotypical boom time of the PC you would say? Late 90's? PC sales for 2017 are up 300% since 1997. Car sales are up 12.5%. Is the car dead?
Try down 20% in five years and that's globally. Current sales are at an eight year low. Meanwhile car sales are at a record high. The comparison is bunk.

The core PC scenarios are not going anywhere. Trying to use Excel on an iPad is as ridiculous as trying to watch NetFlix on your watch.

Again that is missing the point just like the last person who made that point. There is a difference between HAVE to and WANT to. Every middle, high school and college student I know goes out of their way to avoid using an actual computer if at all possible. Now, granted that is starting to be more of a generation z thing rather than a millennial thing. Computers aren't "cool" like they were in the 1997-2007 time frame.

One thing about the up and coming generation that really took me aback is that many don’t try and solve problems in silico. I am asked numerous questions that would easily be answered with a Google search. This has taken me aback because the up and coming generation is native to computers, unlike geriatric fossils like yours truly.

I do feel a little bad that millennials have a good chunk taken out of their paychecks for social security, and may not get the benefits us older folk will receive. That's a raw deal.

Millenials are fun to make fun of, but I don't blame them.
I blame their helicopter parents.
But I suspect that the next generation will be much stronger and more resourceful. After all, with millennials as parents, they are going to have to fend for themselves. Their millennial parents won't be able to.

This may be funny but snapchat, pinterest, instagram, twitter; those skills can actually get you a good paying job these days. At least in my line of work.

How much skill does it take to type some text or upload an image or video? Practically none. Those are not high skill tasks.

Great discussion, here is my input:

Ageism aside, it is possible to make distinctions in generations. In their seminal book "Generations", Strauss and Howe posit that there are 4 types and they not only repeat each other but beget each other in a cycle, they map these 4 types to US history and its an interesting read.

In the case of Millenials I think part of their negative perception can be attributed to Machiavelli's observation that "Things gained with difficulty are retained with ease; Things attained with ease are retained with difficulty ". Basically he means that if you have to fight for something you develop the skills to keep it.

This generation grew up in unprecedented affluence, maybe never ever be repeated. So that probably accounts at least in part for their expectations and apparent whininess.

This may be funny but snapchat, pinterest, instagram, twitter; those skills can actually get you a good paying job these days. At least in my line of work.

Nothing funny about it. I know of several "social media gurus" who are pulling down doctor/lawyer wages due to their immense subscriber base and following. Many companies are just now starting to wake up to the fact that they need to enhance their social media presence or get left behind by their competition.

How much skill does it take to type some text or upload an image or video? Practically none. Those are not high skill tasks.

The skill is not in the uploading. The skill is in the wording of the text, or the content of the images or videos. That's how you make the big $$$.

You aren't the same guy slamming a photographer about his prices because you can take a DSLR and get the same pictures for less, are you? There's a bit more skill than just 1) shoot video with smartphone, 2) upload to YouTube. The guys that get paid well are the ones who make seamless splices/edits, tasteful enhancements, and provide subject matter that is in demand by viewers.

I've avoided this thread so far because the real reasons for generational differences are many, and any real conversation about it is difficult on a forum. First, I'm an early Millennial myself, like SoonerAviator, born in the early 80s. Here's the thing, generations don't mean squat. Sure, I was born in the right time frame, was a teenager when the new millennium began, and used computers for most of my life, but like many others, I'm born of Boomer parents. So although I fit in the millennial years, it has nothing to do with any particular generation of people. The world changes, and people change with it. Believe it or not, in my experience, I see just as many older people toting their phones around as the young people. I've seen just as many 40, 50, 60 year old lazy people in the work place as I have young people. I've seen just as many Generation Xers milking the "system" as I have young people, and probably more actually. I see on a daily basis older people struggle with something that a younger person is better at, and I see younger people struggle with something that an older guy is better at. I'm certain that the same was true for the previous generations. It doesn't matter, we will always have a blend of old and new technologies in use and still others are being developed, and people that can work with either, with both, or with neither. As far as attitude and work ethic goes, I feel like that is mostly a product of the times and with raising. Neither of which is within control of the youngster, and both of which are a direct results of previous generations. So why blame the millennial for something that is clearly their parents fault? Secondly, why blame a kid for using the latest and greatest technology? How many of you or your parents spent time turning records, cranking up tunes on the 8 track, sitting around the radio or TV, banging away on the keys of your orange screen Compaq, playing Donkey Kong at the arcade, or whatever the currently tech was when you could? Perhaps you can gripe about them using it too much, but again, that's their parents fault. How many kids in the history of mankind would clean their room, go split firewood, mow the lawn, milk the cows, pick the cotton, etc. without ever being told to do so? Kids will always do what is easy and enjoyable until they are told otherwise, and it's up to their parents or guardians to teach them responsibility and discipline. If the parents never made the kid work, then the kid won't have learned the value of work, and thus, not their fault. Every generation has been influenced, for better or worse, by the times they live in. That's the way it works. The people from previous generation nearly always dislikes how the younger generations act despite their own direct influence on those later generations. So, the moral of the story is, quit griping and realize that millennials are people just like you and do what you can to coexist with them, teach them, and learn from them. We all have our pros and cons.

I personally got my first job as a commercial roofer at 13 years old, and was running a crew of people up to twice my age at 16. I built fence, worked cattle, hauled 1000s of bales of hay, served in the church, served others in the community, captained my sports teams, graduated in the top 10% of my class, worked full time and went to college, then decided to quit school and take a good job. There are many millennials that learned work ethic, family values, did good in school, paid their way through school, and didn't get anything handed to them. As with every generation, there are those that sat on their butts, played video games, caused trouble, smoked weed, made bad grades, and never accepted and responsibility, or were given no guidance from their parents. Though the specifics are different, the story of the millennial is really no different from Gen X or the Boomers. We live in our time, are influenced by those times and our peers, and we turn out to be the person our parents raised us to be for the most part. No sense griping about it. If you are a parent of one of these generations and still have influence over them, then do your part to help them become good, productive, loving, caring, hard working citizens. Otherwise, kick back and enjoy reeping what you and your peers have sown.

And there's you lesson for today from a white, redneck, gun-totin', hard workin', bible thumpin, conservative Millennial.

P.S. Chiggity-check yoself befo you wreck yoself.

Last edited:
Yo, you millennials. The EAA Vintage Aircraft Association and Triple Tree Aerodrome wants to show you some love with a fly-in. See details here.

Back