So, student pilots.. Who are we and where do we stand?

I've been trying to knock out the tower endorsement for my Sport ticket since before Christmas. I think I need training on how to create simultaneous availability of airplane, instructor, and good weather. I seem able to get two of the three, but never all three.

Meanwhile, I've been doing some fun flying with my son whenever I can get plane and wx but not instructor.

Pics from our flight Sunday morning:

upload_2018-1-16_11-30-40.png

upload_2018-1-16_11-31-24.png

upload_2018-1-16_11-31-55.png

I finally got to fly this morning. IR lesson(s). We did simulated instrument take off, basic attitude flying, capture and track a radial, constant speed and constant rate climbs, A&B patterns and then an arbitrary hold. It was a beautiful, cool, and smooth day. Plain old 172N was climbing over 1000'/minute at Vy. Which meant I had to adjust all my target performance numbers, but it was so happy to fly I didn't mind.

Instructor said I pretty much nailed it all including the hold which we hadn't briefed but since I was knocking everything else out of the park, she just threw that in. I almost feel like I know what I'm doing. :)

John

First night flight last night. Air was SOOOO smooth it was unreal. Just went to the practice area, did some flying around, then back for some pattern work.

Tower was someone in training (I could hear her trainer in the background, and he even jumped in a few times). Made for some interesting "patterns" but it all worked out. Had fighter jets taking off between our landings, regionals and regular aircrafts coming and going, plus myself and another Cessna 172 in the pattern practicing. And 2 runways with landing traffic on them. She was a little busy, for sure.

I will say the final landing was a little more intense than it needed to be. Got us behind a regional jet and we got a bit of their wake turbulence, both about 4 miles out and right before touchdown. Rocked the wings and got my attention. Good learning experience and next time I'll ask for more separation or send me out of the pattern further, whatever will get me away from it.

First night flight last night. Air was SOOOO smooth it was unreal. Just went to the practice area, did some flying around, then back for some pattern work.

Tower was someone in training (I could hear her trainer in the background, and he even jumped in a few times). Made for some interesting "patterns" but it all worked out. Had fighter jets taking off between our landings, regionals and regular aircrafts coming and going, plus myself and another Cessna 172 in the pattern practicing. And 2 runways with landing traffic on them. She was a little busy, for sure.

I will say the final landing was a little more intense than it needed to be. Got us behind a regional jet and we got a bit of their wake turbulence, both about 4 miles out and right before touchdown. Rocked the wings and got my attention. Good learning experience and next time I'll ask for more separation or send me out of the pattern further, whatever will get me away from it.

I was taught as a general rule of thumb, you can turn when the other plane has pass your wing tip and the speed we fly these spamcans, wake shouldn't be a problem. I added my own personal minimum to it. whenever I get cleared to land, caution wake turbulence for landing citation / 380 ahead of you... my response 100% of times is.. 21k will extend downwind by another 2 miles.

Took my first practice test at 2 in the morning after studying for hours and made an 80. Several stupid mistakes, but I’m not shocked since my brain was done. Im confident.

I was taught as a general rule of thumb, you can turn when the other plane has pass your wing tip and the speed we fly these spamcans, wake shouldn't be a problem. I added my own personal minimum to it. whenever I get cleared to land, caution wake turbulence for landing citation / 380 ahead of you... my response 100% of times is.. 21k will extend downwind by another 2 miles.

I let the regional get about a 45 behind me before I turned, I squared it off so I didn't cut the corners, and even stayed high...still got hit with it. I'm used to the wake turbulence warnings here as it's a fairly active airport, this one was just a little tighter than I care for and next time I'll extend further. I think the newer controller was trying to squeeze in more than necessary this time (usually isn't an issue).

I let the regional get about a 45 behind me before I turned, I squared it off so I didn't cut the corners, and even stayed high...still got hit with it. I'm used to the wake turbulence warnings here as it's a fairly active airport, this one was just a little tighter than I care for and next time I'll extend further. I think the newer controller was trying to squeeze in more than necessary this time (usually isn't an issue).
I was flying around the pattern with a Navy P-8 (737) yesterday. I don't know what they were practicing, but a couple times I was looking down on them from 1000 as they were skimming treetops on their base. So, I didn't have too much trouble staying above their wake.

upload_2018-1-18_13-43-34.png

It was pretty cool to see a jet that big flying a pattern that tight and low.

That would be awesome

We also flew over some helicopters doing SAR practice runs right over the surface before we got back to the pattern from the practice area.

All of your stories of different aircraft are awesome. We get the occasional guard blackhawk or chinook but nothing too fancy. Did an hour of solo work. Had the pattern all to myself except for one other 172 departing straight out. Night xcountry (CEU to LZU) tomorrow.

Flew KCRQ-KAJO today. Practiced flight following, Filing VFR flight plan, opening in flight and closing after landing, Cross wind take offs and landings. Beautiful day!

GuXn

GuX1

GuXE

GuXR

Student pilot north of Atlanta. Flying my own plane; a Grumman Tiger. Got a 92% on my Written yesterday. Not sure if it is true, but was told no more testing while the shutdown is in effect.

I’m still lacking some X-country time, night flying and cleanup (I am sure there are a few other things I am missing).

Did my first stage check ride yesterday and passed!

Was quite nerve racking, was in an aircraft I hadn’t flown before, same type just a registration I hadn’t flown, and clouds were a little low (2000AGL) and winds a little high.

All went well though, except a little gusty on final landing back to base as we had an almost 30kt headwind.

So excited to start my first solo flight now. Was meant to be today but again we had some strong winds so decided to call it off. Hopefully next weekend!

We were finally able to knock out my dual night xcountry. KCEU KLZU KCEU, logged 2.7 total. I really enjoyed this experience. On the way there we used Foreflight to navigate after getting on course initially using my XC plan. Set up flight following with Atlanta center. It took me a LONG time to find the field in the see of lights in the ATL area. My instructor said it would be difficult and he was right. Eventually I found it though and made a straight in final. Continued for 3 more landings and taxi back. I fly out of an uncontrolled field with relatively little traffic, so it was great to get the tower experience as well as being in a high traffic area. We saw 2 PC12s, a baron, a couple citations, and 3 Imagineair Cirrus air taxis, all within my 3 laps in the pattern. Headed back to KCEU and my instructor puts away the Ipad and says "alright, get us home". Used I-85 to get most of the way home, then pulled out the sectional and found a couple rotating beacons that I used to get back to our home field. Awesome experience. I realized though I need to work on my communication with ATC and getting my readbacks correct. Fumbled a couple times reading back squawk codes, etc.

Last edited:
We were finally able to knock out my dual night xcountry. KCEU KLZU KCEU, logged 2.7 total. I really enjoyed this experience. On the way there we used Foreflight to navigate after getting on course initially using my XC plan. Set up flight following with Atlanta center. It took me a LONG time to find the field in the see of lights in the ATL area. My instructor said it would be difficult and he was right. Eventually I found it though and made a straight in final. Continued for 3 more landings and taxi back. I fly out of an uncontrolled field with relatively little traffic, so it was great to get the tower experience as well as being in a high traffic area. We saw 2 PC12s, a baron, a couple citations, and 3 Imagineair Cirrus air taxis, all within my 3 laps in the pattern. Headed back to KCEU and my instructor puts away the Ipad and says "alright, get us home". Used I-85 to get most of the way home, then pulled out the sectional and found a couple rotating beacons that I used to get back to our home field. Awesome experience. I realized though I need to work on my communication with ATC and getting my readbacks correct. Fumbled a couple times reading back squawk codes, etc.

Sounds like a great flight! I've got my night dual cross country on Friday, looking forward to it. Right now the plan is to head to Socorro and back, but we'll see as the day gets closer. Hopefully the weather cooperates, looking windy later in the week here.

My goal was to knock this out before my written expires in Feb but the instructor told me today that I’d better prepare to take it again. :(:mad:

If it makes you feel any better, I took that written three times over the years. Ha. Then got serious with @jesse and nailed it out.

Then I got to do it again for the IGI. :)

Good learning experience and next time I'll ask for more separation or send me out of the pattern further, whatever will get me away from it.

Remember also you can stay above their glidepath and touch down beyond their touchdown point if runway length is sufficient.

They’re almost always shooting for the 1000’ marker, so beyond those a ways is good if you didn’t see them touch down. I say “a ways” because they may have overshot their landing, of course. But *usually* not by that much. :) YMMV.

Finally! Plane and instructor coincided with acceptable weather. I finished off my tower endorsement at KLEE (Leesburg) this morning. I’ve been trying to knock this out since before Christmas, but wx or availabilities kept getting in the way.

Winds weren’t too bad when we took off from X04 but were picking up in Leesburg by the time we got there. On the way back we had a 30 knot headwind at 2000 feet, and then we got knocked around pretty good in the pattern. I managed to plop it down, though. Rain and thunderstorms moving in this afternoon, so it’s good we got up this morning.

Radio work was all good though, and I did fine with all instructions.

Glad to have the endorsement. It opens up many more destinations.

Beat the weather at KRYY Saturday. Got my second solo in the pattern. Got too rough to do the final out and back to the practice area and today was solid IFR.. looking forward to XC, instrument and night.

Finally! Plane and instructor coincided with acceptable weather. I finished off my tower endorsement at KLEE (Leesburg) this morning. I’ve been trying to knock this out since before Christmas, but wx or availabilities kept getting in the way.

Winds weren’t too bad when we took off from X04 but were picking up in Leesburg by the time we got there. On the way back we had a 30 knot headwind at 2000 feet, and then we got knocked around pretty good in the pattern. I managed to plop it down, though. Rain and thunderstorms moving in this afternoon, so it’s good we got up this morning.

Radio work was all good though, and I did fine with all instructions.

Glad to have the endorsement. It opens up many more destinations.
Just curious @Half Fast , what is a "Tower Endorsement"?

Yeah I wanna know too.
Probably means an endorsement for repeated solo TO & landings at another airport within 25nm. (61.93(b) (1)

edit: following posts say he is a sport pilot. nevermind.

Last edited:
I was scheduled to fly this morning out of KORL. More IR training squashed by weather. This is getting old fast. I'm 1 for 5 now. Friday is scheduled EARLY so we'll see. In the mean time I've eliminated nearly 400 questions out of the bank on Gold Method, so maybe the written won't be so bad.

Tower endorsement is required for Sport Pilots to fly into C or D airspace to a towered airport. It's not part of the Sport Pilot certificate training.

Sport pilots are restricted from B, C, and D airspace and towered airports without an additional logbook endorsement. From FAR 61.315,

(c) You may not act as pilot in command of a light-sport aircraft:

(7) In Class B, C, and D airspace, at an airport located in Class B, C, or D airspace, and to, from, through, or at an airport having an operational control tower unless you have met the requirements specified in § 61.325.

And from FAR 61.325,

If you hold a sport pilot certificate and seek privileges to operate a light-sport aircraft in Class B, C, or D airspace, at an airport located in Class B, C, or D airspace, or to, from, through, or at an airport having an operational control tower, you must receive and log ground and flight training. The authorized instructor who provides this training must provide a logbook endorsement that certifies you are proficient in the following aeronautical knowledge areas and areas of operation:

(a) The use of radios, communications, navigation system/facilities, and radar services.

(b) Operations at airports with an operating control tower to include three takeoffs and landings to a full stop, with each landing involving a flight in the traffic pattern, at an airport with an operating control tower.

(c) Applicable flight rules of part 91 of this chapter for operations in Class B, C, and D airspace and air traffic control clearances.

Back in December, my CFI and I did a couple of full-stops at Orlando Executive (KORL) and planned to do a flight into Leesburg (KLEE) the following day. He wanted me to have at least two different airports to sign off the endorsement, and I agree wholeheartedly with him even though the reg doesn't specifically require it. Anyway, the next day we were blown out by weather. Ever since, either he's been unavailable, the plane's been unavailable, or we've had high winds or IMC.

Finally squeezed in a short flight yesterday morning to knock it out. YAY!

It's a separate endorsement for a student sport pilot, but not for a certificated sport pilot. See the FAR paragraph I quoted above.

Ah! I've never studied the sport pilot certification regs. So I learned something. Anyway, now you can visit my home drome, KORL. I've been in and out of X04 several times to get cheap gas.

John

Ah! I've never studied the sport pilot certification regs. So I learned something. Anyway, now you can visit my home drome, KORL. I've been in and out of X04 several times to get cheap gas.

John

Yep, I can now visit KORL to get expensive gas, pay a ramp fee, and have a pricey burger! :)

One big advantage of the endorsement is that I have more diversion options if needed for weather. When X04 winds get bad (and I'm sure you know what a PITA that place can be) or a thunderstorm moves through, it's nice to have the option to set down at KLEE, grab a cup of coffee, and wait it out.

Yep, I can now visit KORL to get expensive gas, pay a ramp fee, and have a pricey burger! :)

One big advantage of the endorsement is that I have more diversion options if needed for weather. When X04 winds get bad (and I'm sure you know what a PITA that place can be) or a thunderstorm moves through, it's nice to have the option to set down at KLEE, grab a cup of coffee, and wait it out.

Yes indeed! And there are a lot of other nice places to visit that have towers as well. KLAL is nice too.

Night cross country last night. Perfect weather around here and it was a great flight.

I've realized that for some reason my landings at night are so much smoother than during the day (or I'm just getting better!).

Went to Socorro (KONM) for a landing, then back to KABQ for some pattern work to get more night landings in. Heading to Socorro there was a plan that took off from there heading my direction. Wasn't communicating with center yet, but I had them in sight the whole time (so much easier at night with lights). Then they had climbed to my altitude (8500') and was at my 12 o'clock. Center asked if I'd like to divert or descend, so I descended to 8000'. At this point they had been communicating so it was less of a factor. They passed right over the top of me a handful of minutes after I was down to 8000'.

Landings back at ABQ were good. Pretty slow at that time of night so no issue getting me in. Except about 2-3 landings in I did hear them talking about a plane with an emergency inbound. Then on my 4th time around they told me after my landing they would need to move me around a bit to allow that plane in, no problem. Saw the plan touchdown as I was about mid-field. Gave me clearance and wake turbulence warning, then I came in.

All in all a great flight. Next will be another dual cross country, my choice of day or night, to get some more confidence with VOR usage. After that will be a stage check then solo cross country flights.

Getting closer!

btw...74.1 hours, 247 landings...hopefully I get to my checkride by 100 hours :(

Ooops. Meant to say "try Lakeland."
I figured. They used to have two nice restaurants on the field but last Time I was there (18ish months ago) they'd both closed. They do have an EAA museum and Pilot store.

I figured. They used to have two nice restaurants on the field but last Time I was there (18ish months ago) they'd both closed. They do have an EAA museum and Pilot store.

Yep, I've visited the museum and Pilot Mall during Sun-n-Fun. The shop tends to be a bit overpriced, but I still like to support a local business when possible. Haven't tried the restaurant.

I wish KORL still had the 94th Aero Squadron. It used to be quite good 30 years ago. Then it became the 4th Fighter Group and started going downhill. I think it finally went belly-up a dozen years back.

I recall many years ago sitting by a window at the 94th and watching Joe Kittinger take off in a biplane and then pick up a banner for Rosie O'Grady's. Must've been around 1985 or so. Too bad the place is gone.

Old (56 hrs) student, flying a PA-28-161 out of KPAO. Set out to do my first solo XC last Sunday, but turned back due to higher-than-desirable oil temp. Turns out it was a combination of new engine + continued climb at Vy + pilot perception. Heading back out on Sunday again with an open mind and a eye out for cruise climb. Expect to be back before kickoff of the big sports ball game, so as to partake in the girlfriends homemade hot wings and nice, cold beer...

Hallbacks is still open......not sure if that was one of the places you were referring to or not.

Old (56 hrs) student, flying a PA-28-161 out of KPAO. Set out to do my first solo XC last Sunday, but turned back due to higher-than-desirable oil temp. Turns out it was a combination of new engine + continued climb at Vy + pilot perception. Heading back out on Sunday again with an open mind and a eye out for cruise climb. Expect to be back before kickoff of the big sports ball game, so as to partake in the girlfriends homemade hot wings and nice, cold beer...

Welcome to the forum! I hate to correct you on your very first post, but I'm obligated to point out that 56 is not old; it's young, I say, young!

:)

Glad to have you here. Keep us posted on your progress.

Back