Fireball meteor...

tawood

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Tim
Did anyone else see the fireball meteor, 1/16/18, about 8:08 EST? Amazing! It lit up the whole sky like daylight in green!
I'm in SE Michigan, and it was towards the southwest for me...I've seen a fireball meteor before, and although it always looks close, I've found in the past I've viewed it from hundreds of miles away, only thinking that it was nearby. This one could have lit up the Chicago area at least.

Last edited:
I didn't see it, but it is cloudy/overcast in our area.

I'm in Lansing and I saw what looked like lightning around that time. All I saw was one brief flash from the window but that must have been it. I remember thinking it was weird at the time.

I read an article about meteors. White probably ice, red/orange probably rock, green probably man made metal from earth.

But no, I missed it as well.

In Alaska I was in the air and saw a green burning object shoot across the sky. Man that thing really lit up the area. I watched it for at least 15 seconds. When I landed people ran up to me asking what it was....

Saw a flash even though it was overcast - the rumble came quite a while later. It must have been quite a ways away.

I read an article about meteors. White probably ice, red/orange probably rock, green probably man made metal from earth.

Exactly.

I'm surprised the press hasn't mentioned yet that this was a NK ICBM test, sans warhead. Must be a truly massive cover-up going on.

Apparently the one that triggered the Hawaii alert burned up (or was destroyed) at high altitude, before it could be seen in daylight.

Invest in defense company stocks. War coming in 5, 4, 3,...

Interesting event. It was overcast here (and snowing), and probably too far away anyway. Apparently a much smaller rock than the one that caused injuries 5 years ago in Chelyabinsk, but same sort of airburst bolide.

I got a chuckle out of the part where the Verge article said that according to NASA, this sort of thing was "rare for Michigan"... as opposed to where?? Heh.

I'm surprised the press hasn't mentioned yet that this was a NK ICBM test, sans warhead. Must be a truly massive cover-up going on.
More likely a failure of the alien anti-gravity drive use by the air force in the Aurora spy plane.

But no, I missed it as well.

In Alaska I was in the air and saw a green burning object shoot across the sky. Man that thing really lit up the area. I watched it for at least 15 seconds. When I landed people ran up to me asking what it was....
The colors don't really tell us whether man-made or not.
This NASA site shows various colors, and the elements that produce them, in a meteor:
https://leonid.arc.nasa.gov/meteor.html

As most meteors are iron-nickle, I don't know why they didn't list nickle which could also produce green (and other colors). Emission spectrum of nickle here: http://chemistry.bd.psu.edu/jircitano/Ni.gif

Last edited:
Article headline: "...and traveled between 40,000 to 50,000 miles to get to Earth"

You need to stop reading at that point. :mad2:

Article headline: "...and traveled between 40,000 to 50,000 miles to get to Earth"

You need to stop reading at that point. :mad2:
There's a radar track of the alien ship dropping it off. Why do you have an argument with that?

More likely a failure of the alien anti-gravity drive use by the air force in the Aurora spy plane.

Nah, I don't think so. I worked on an IRAD last year to incorporate the anti-gravity drive into a cruise missile. The anti-gravity drive is a fail-safe type; all failure modes bias positive g's, so the <ahem> "meteor" (yeah, sure...) would have flown off into space in event of a failure if that's what they were using.

Sure it wasn't a doctor in a vee tail?

In 1965 (I think) a meteor lit up the sky over the mid-Hudson Valley in the late afternoon. It was THAT bright. People panicked, and the local authorities and the local military were convinced it was an aircraft on fire.
So they called out the Civil Air Patrol. Peekskill Composite Squadron to the rescue.
Change into our uniforms, the Squadron Adjutant, comes roaring up to pick me up with a car already overflowing with cadets and off we go.

Using some tricky triangulation, (I called my cousin who lived north of Albany) we determined the crash site had to be between Peekskill and Albany on the east side of the Hudson, so we staged all our planes at Dutchess County Airport. When our Wing Commander, Col Al Nevins, walked into the hanger, we all jumped to attention.
He walks to the back of the hanger, points to the map and says: "We are concentrating our search in this area. We already have confirmation that there are no military or commercial aircraft missing, so we are probably looking for a Dr. in a V-tail Bonanza." There was a flight plan filed for that time and it was never closed.
Turns out he was shacked up with a babe up near Columbia County Airport.

Back