Need advice

Oh, forty years of handling thousands of personal injury and property damage claims in three states. And you?

Since you asked, a member of the family is a C-level exec for a large P/C insurance company with advanced education in the field. And 33 years in the business to be specific. I just showed this to him and his reaction was priceless. We have a plaintiff lawyer here bashing insurance companies. Could write a book on this and how big and bad insurance companies are. I have heard it all.

I bet the loss ratio is what it is with all these insurance companies because we stand on street corners and light $100 cigars with $10 bills. We give money away. And the LAE and ALAE are what they are cause we throw parties denying everything. You know it doesn't work that way since you work with this every day. Combined ratio's for companies over 100 - but we're not paying claims. Who is more accurate here?

Are there claims that get mishandled - yup. Is there $8B in insurance fraud every year that policyholder pay for in premiums - yup. Do claimants play a role in proper claim settlements - yup. Does Ford make every car defect free off the assembly line - nope. Does Contential motors make engines with exhaust valve issues. - yup. Life isn't perfect - insurance or any other industry.

This is way off topic, but my expert has seen a few too. But for anyone to insinuate the OP is going to get screwed right off the bat is not supported by an industry that pays billions in losses annually.

But for anyone to insinuate the OP is going to get screwed right off the bat is not supported by an industry that pays billions in losses annually.
Ignoring the nonsequiturs and mischaracterizations of what I said ...

The OP describes a situation where the owner of the damaged aircraft is being asked for his tax returns in what appears to be a simple PD claim. That suggests the carrier is intending to defend aggressively. In my opinion it would be a mistake for him to communicate with the carrier without at least an initial consulation with an attorney.

Something is screwy with this whole story. When my 182 got totalled by a tornado I had check in hand within two weeks.

Something is screwy with this whole story. When my 182 got totalled by a tornado I had check in hand within two weeks.
Totaled is easy. Everything short of totaled is more complicated, including the decision of whether it's actually totaled or not.

But your loss wasn't due to the negligence of another party and your insurance carrier paid you for your loss...

That depends on the tornado. Was it the weather phenomenon or the fighter jet that totaled his 182? :)
Good point. Acts of war usually aren’t covered.

Work it out with the insurance company as far as possible by keeping communication open. This should be a no brainer to them if the facts are as presented. Attorney will only drag it out further.

Back