FAA written tomorrow

Sport Pilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Pilot
The time has finally come. I take my FAA written exam tomorrow. I have been studying for 168 days; accumulating 423 hours in study time. I hope I do well.

The time has finally come. I take my FAA written exam tomorrow. I have been studying for 168 days; accumulating 423 hours in study time. I hope I do well.

With that much study time you should have zero issues.

Thank you everyone. I have been using Gleim.
Hi.
Gleim courses are very good. I am sure you know but worth mentioning again, if you have a question you do not know the answer to, make a note of it and move on. Come back to it later, and if you do not know the exact answer look for the most logical and guess. At the end double check and make sure you answered All the questions. No extra credit for short time, take / use all the time you can / have. Good luck.

Sometimes it helps to look for the least wrong answer.
Good Luck!
70% is passing.

Just a quick review before bed.

Attachments

• 3B2F0537-3D31-4CB5-ACCF-B79A0195DE99.jpeg
    3B2F0537-3D31-4CB5-ACCF-B79A0195DE99.jpeg
    199.1 KB · Views: 34
I am quite sure I will be fine and 70% is passing, but during the oral, doesn’t the DPE focus on the subject matter that was missed on the written? So the more you miss, the longer and more in-depth the oral?

It depends on the DPE and how he judges you.

It is not information you want to forget and you will probably continue to learn.

Right. It’s all very important information. It’s just so much information.

I am quite sure I will be fine and 70% is passing, but during the oral, doesn’t the DPE focus on the subject matter that was missed on the written? So the more you miss, the longer and more in-depth the oral?

The DPE is looking at trends. If you miss questions evenly distributed over multiple areas of operations, the results will likely not effect where the DPE focuses his/her questions. If you miss a significant number of questions in one area of operation, or specific task, expect the DPE focus on that area, or even start there. The DPE's job in the ground portion of the practical test is to make sure you have no significant knowledge deficits and understand the concepts addressed in the ACS. The best place to start are those areas that you missed on the knowledge test.

The DPE is looking at trends. If you miss questions evenly distributed over multiple areas of operations, the results will likely not effect where the DPE focuses his/her questions. If you miss a significant number of questions in one area of operation, or specific task, expect the DPE focus on that area, or even start there. The DPE's job in the ground portion of the practical test is to make sure you have no significant knowledge deficits and understand the concepts addressed in the ACS. The best place to start are those areas that you missed on the knowledge test.

Just as a "don't be like me" anecdote, don't be like me.

DPE: Let's go through the categories you missed on your written.
Me: Ok, let's.
DPE: So this first one, says "validity of weather forecasts", you remember what the question was?
*here begins the don't be like me part*
Me: Yeah! It was about validity period of SIGMETs and AIRMETs!
DPE: Ok, so how long is a SIGMET valid for?
Me: Errr........ I don't remember.

So. Don't be like me. :)
(I did pass. but...)

About the practical test:

Now is not the time to worry about your Practical Test; focus on your upcoming knowledge test.

The oral parts of the practical tests I have taken were open book.

Don’t be afraid to look things up.

Be prepared to plan a flight the FAA way.

Take your primary textbooks with you along with a current FAR/AIM, current charts and a current chart supplement.

Your CFI will have had experience with the DPE and know what he is looking for.

If you fail you can just take your practical test again after some instruction.

Good luck! I just took mine the other day and only missed one question. I was relieved that there was almost nothing they threw at me that I hadn't seen in the practice questions. I was especially worried about the regulations stuff (the question I missed did in fact fall in that area). I used the King Schools course and one thing I found really useful was the ability to go back and re-take all the questions I ever missed. That was the last thing I did the night before the test and at least a couple of those showed up on the test (which made me smile :) )

Friends,
Thanks for all the words of encouragement and guidance!

Use the book of charts, diagrams, AFD, etc that is supplied w the test to your advantage.....you’d be surprised how often you can find or deduce a troubling answer there. You’ll do fine....then it’s on to real stuff!

Thank you and I will. I decided to fly the written before the airplane. There are many variables as to why I chose that route; the most important is to have a better understanding as to what the CFI is actually saying.

The night before, get a good night sleep and lay off the hooch. Get the stuff you'll need together in one place - E6B, pencil, plotter, endorsement and simple pocket calculator was what I took. The testing station also provided all that (except the endorsement). They'll want their fee up front, credit card works well. If you joined AOPA or EAA, take your card and get a discount. During the test, read each question CAREFULLY, and each response. Take your time. Take a deep breath and let it out, then mark the answer. By question 5 you'll be tempted to bang right through, as it all seems quite easy, but relax and take your time. Good Luck! Also, all the "stuff" you're learning will fall into place when the flying starts.

Got everything in a ziplock ready to go!
One hour left before the test!

Attachments

• F8D4ED68-D700-4E66-A1C1-ACEDE07833BE.jpeg
    F8D4ED68-D700-4E66-A1C1-ACEDE07833BE.jpeg
    227.9 KB · Views: 14
Thanks everyone! I am now ready for the next lesson and level of aviation.

That is what I like about this site. Though many of you have been pilots for years and even decades, you still can give guidance and kind words to a young Jedi.

You appreciate the passion.

Thanks for the thanks everyone.

I completed the IACRA student pilot application online with a DPE on December 14th. How long is the usual wait time? I’ve read it is 3 weeks, but I’m now on track for 5 weeks.

Thanks.

Back