Senior Discounts?

The scooter thing bugs me at times, especially the 500 lb “disabled” person driving it like a bumper car.

Cheers

Yeah, I've had way more trouble with obese or otherwise handicapped middle aged Wal-Martians than with old folk. If you find yourself in Fort Smith, AR in need of entertainment, the Wal-Mart on Rogers Ave after 9pm is a sight to behold. Apparently the really strange ones are nocturnal. There won't be a single electric buggy still plugged in at the entrance.

I have witnessed the old ladies hobbling around, garnering sympathy with their walkers, smiling, thanking people for moving out of their way, letting them move ahead in line, etc.
But boy when those elevator doors are closing, they will snatch that walker up and take off in a dead run!

Walkers in Vegas... Don't you love the "parking lot" in front of the buffet? And the ones that aren't parked are tray holders for the geriatric dim sum cart!

I feel bad for my mom at times. She is the absolute oldest living person in the family. Not the oldest in age, more than a double handful have made it over the 100 mark in the family history. She is just the oldest living person in the family right now. She is the last one in the family that was born in the 30s. All of her immediate family is dead, her mom and dad passed on over 35 years ago, brother, aunts, uncles all gone. All of her friends her age are gone except 3 high school classmates and they are younger than her. They stopped having reunions after moms 50th one in 1999.

She still gets around good. She is 95% done with her 2017 taxes. She has stopped driving at night, but she will get out her GPS and go all over town. (OK, it is a small town) Her mind is still sharp and her health is great for her age. She just might outlive me.....(sorry mom, I didn't mean to scare you with the heart attack..)

Makes me realize that my first cousins (the ones that are still living) and myself are now the "old" generation in the family. When did that happen..???

Snowbird season here in Central Florida, too. Do I need a migratory bird permit to shoot them? I go out for a nice ride on the Triumph, looking to have a relaxing afternoon committing high-speed traffic felonies, and #@$% if I don't always get stuck behind some license plate from Michigan or Illinois or some other yankee state that can't seem to go more than about 40mph.

Local waiters have learned how to get good tips, though, by carding my wife when she tries to order off the senior's menu. :)

I recall someone once saying that they were going to get a bumper sticker that said, "When I retire I'm going to move up north and drive slow in the middle lane!"

worse yet are the ones from canada, i think they forget that their speedometers are in KM/HR and drive the speed limit in KM/HR, for those that do not want do the math, 70 km/hr is 43 mph..........

bob

Funny. Some of the fastest drivers on I-5 in Washington state have BC license plates.

So that's why all the people with Washington plates drive 45MPH in the 55 zones on Highway 101 in Oregon. (and 45 in the 45, and 45 in the 35, and sometimes they bother to slow a bit for the 25)

That's Oregon plates in Washington state. Those and the BC plates noted above. I remember years ago it was Idaho plates. 5 over or 5 below. Never the speed limit.

Now, I set the cruise control for 5 over and the Washington state police never look at me. About the only positive thing I can say about the WSP.

Snowbird season here in Central Florida, too. Do I need a migratory bird permit to shoot them? I go out for a nice ride on the Triumph, looking to have a relaxing afternoon committing high-speed traffic felonies, and #@$% if I don't always get stuck behind some license plate from Michigan or Illinois or some other yankee state that can't seem to go more than about 40mph.

Local waiters have learned how to get good tips, though, by carding my wife when she tries to order off the senior's menu. :)
Michigan is no Yankee state, they're all hillbillies. From where I sit you're one of those damn northerners. When I lived in the Caribbean I would tell all the visiting rednecks that they're Yankees. As anyone south of the border what they call Americans. By the way, the Yankees won the war.
Dodging traffic is why I have a bike, drive aggressive and split lanes, those slow pokes are easy to get around.

Yeah, I've had way more trouble with obese or otherwise handicapped middle aged Wal-Martians than with old folk. If you find yourself in Fort Smith, AR in need of entertainment, the Wal-Mart on Rogers Ave after 9pm is a sight to behold. Apparently the really strange ones are nocturnal. There won't be a single electric buggy still plugged in at the entrance.

Here's a Walmart scooter story:

http://thesmokinggun.com/buster/handicap-scooter/walmart-scooter-bandits-294035

Makes me realize that my first cousins (the ones that are still living) and myself are now the "old" generation in the family. When did that happen..???

On your 30th birthdays.

30 is the perfect age..... don't trust anyone over 30, don't trust anyone over 30....:lol::lol:

No, the perfect age was 17. I could drive, Mom and Dad paid all the bills, I had almost zero responsibilities, and there was this little gal named Rose that had the cutest.....

No, the perfect age was 17. I could drive, Mom and Dad paid all the bills, I had almost zero responsibilities, and there was this little gal named Rose that had the cutest.....

Yeah but... mom and dad paid the bills, so they got to make the rules......

Half Fast said:
...and there was this little gal named Rose that had the cutest.....
Dimples?

I was gonna say tush...
Reckon I don't know her then. ;)

When I think about getting old, and it's getting to be daily now, I always remember a line from the movie "The Straight Story".

The old guy (Richard Farnsworth) is asked, "What's the worst part about being old?"

"Well, the worst part of being old is rememberin' when you was young."

When I think about getting old, and it's getting to be daily now, I always remember a line from the movie "The Straight Story".

The old guy (Richard Farnsworth) is asked, "What's the worst part about being old?"

The worst part about being old, is that it happens so fast. Suddenly, you are slow.

I'm reminded of getting old when I throw the football with my 8 yo grandson. Still can do it, just can't run to catch the ball, has to be in my immediate vicinity. But, I still get there and do it for him.

The worst part about being old, is that it happens so fast. Suddenly, you are slow.

I'm reminded of getting old when I throw the football with my 8 yo grandson. Still can do it, just can't run to catch the ball, has to be in my immediate vicinity. But, I still get there and do it for him.

Oh, man. I used to play a lot of beer-league softball back in the day. Then, years later, a buddy about 20 yrs younger got me on his team. That was a baaaad mistake.

An old man, talking to Billy Pilgrim in “Slaughterhouse-five”...

I knew it was going to be bad getting old.” He shook his head. “I didn't know it was going to be this bad.”

At 68, so far so good. Most of the little system failures to date have tended to be orthopedic. Could be worse.

A LOT worse!

my R1200GS water boxer

I just came to a realization. My bike has a horizontally opposed flat twin engine, my plane has a horizontally opposed flat four engine, and my car (Outback) has a horizontally opposed flat six engine. Hmmmmm

I just came to a realization. My bike has a horizontally opposed flat twin engine, my plane has a horizontally opposed flat four engine, and my car (Outback) has a horizontally opposed flat six engine. Hmmmmm
Get a Ferrari Testarossa with a flat 12 to complete your collection.

Oh, I thought that was Bill in the silver car.

Back