Autocorrect is getting worse

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
What is up with autocorrect in the last few years? I used to be able to type without even looking and trust the iPhone (And Android) to fix typos and make me better. But lately it seems to change correct words to incorrect words (they becomes theg for example). It seems I spend more time correcting autocorrect then I would have if it didn't exist. For example, this last paragraph took me almost 3 minutes to type.

For fun, let me try to type the same paragraph without fixing autocorrect:

What is up with autocorrect in the last few years? I u see ed d to be able to type without thkut even looking and trust the iPhone (or android) to fix typos and make me better. But lately it seems to change correct words to injncorrect works (theg becomes theg for example) it seems I spend more time foxi bff autocorrect than I would if it didn't exist. For example, things last paragraph took me 3 minutes to type.

Auto-correct always was garbage to me. I'm always having to double read things I type and fix it. I rarely bother people about an incorrect word being used anymore, because I figure auto-correct changed it for them. It is harder for me to catch the wrong word being used compared to a mis-spelled word.

Probably a government plot to make it harder to communicate and make plans to replace them. :tinfoilhat:

Auto correct only seems to work ,when you are sure of the spelling. When your trying to guess the correct spelling it never seems to know what word you want.

What is up with autocorrect in the last few years? I used to be able to type without even looking and trust the iPhone (And Android) to fix typos and make me better. But lately it seems to change correct words to incorrect words (they becomes theg for example). It seems I spend more time correcting autocorrect then I would have if it didn't exist. For example, this last paragraph took me almost 3 minutes to type.

What is up with autocorrect in the last few years? I u see ed d to be able to type without thkut even looking and trust the iPhone (or android) to fix typos and make me better. But lately it seems to change correct words to injncorrect works (theg becomes theg for example) it seems I spend more time foxi bff autocorrect than I would if it didn't exist. For example, things last paragraph took me 3 minutes to type.

Tern it of

Swype on Android seems to have gone downhill as well.

Gotta reset it sometimes.

Setting general reset dictionary

Computers are getting harder to use and more unpredictable than they used to be. This is being driven by features that are being dubbed as "shortcuts" and "improvements" or some such. Its what happens when the companies have a staff of programmers on hand, and nothing useful for them to do. So they invent stuff there really is no demand or much use for and insert into the interface.

This is just ONE way that computers are getting harder to use and less useful. We had it right about 10 years ago.

I definitely agree Nick. Three that it repeatedly changes even though I repeatedly change them back:

"Thus" always becomes "this"

"Peruse" always becomes "persue"

"Well" always becomes "we'll"

It's like no one is supposed to have a vocabulary more diverse than a 5th grader.

I have seen a lot more typos in otherwise respectable publications since the invention of auto"correct" and it's always a case of a correctly spelled word, but the wrong one.

Siri has become unusable as well...

images

I have seen a lot more typos in otherwise respectable publications since the invention of auto"correct" and it's always a case of a correctly spelled word, but the wrong one.

I do that also. It's because when we proof read something immediately after typing it our brains tend to "read" what we meant to write and not what's actually on the "paper." If I come back and read it the next day then the typo is obvious.

We were taught in journalism class to read our writings backwards when proofing.

If you want it done right, do it yourself.

If you want it done right, do it yourself.
And this is why I turn it off first thing on any device, word processor, etc. I type quite a number of technical terms and I don't need it "fixing" them for me, also it keeps trying to FIX my CApItALiZATION even when I want it that way.

I frequently get texts which require numerous follow-up messages to clear up any Auto-Errect f***-ups. It is always hilarious.
Just pi**-poor Chinese programming on crApple's side. I am surprised y'all are surprised.

Referable to title of thread: be careful, a misspelling can autocorrect to autocracy - IBTL.

The entire IO system is cracking. "Hover"????? WTF? Cannot repeat an input??? (dont know what made it do that). ETC

STOP IT! Go back to what was working without all the fancy add ons. We knew how to make that work. Now, who knows what its going to do???? Unstable IO. YECH!

Are spell checkers to blame for people using an apostrophe every time a word ends in an s or are people just illiterate?

People are illiterate. Drives me nuts.

That said, spelling correction algorithms don't work for me. I hate them.

People are illiterate. Drives me nuts....
I think the main problem is that many people don't think it's important enough to make the effort. It's gotten so bad that it's often hard to figure out what people are trying to say (and impossible in some cases).

One of my funniest was when I used voice to text to tell my friend to hurry to the airport... there were some military helicopters flying down our runway, landing, flying up close to us, turning around, etc. It was fun to watch.

I said, "Hurry up, there are Blackhawks out here. Fun to watch." It sent, "Hurry up, there are black cocks out here. Fun to watch." Not quite the same meaning.

Back