Gear up Landing in Juneau Yesterday

AKBill

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
AKBill
Gear up landing in Juneau yesterday. C-210 gear malfunction, no injury's. Partial runway closure for about 45min,

image5528071_web1_180118Plane_Crash.jpg

Last edited:
Rut-roh....glad nobody was hurt.

It was reported his registration expired March 2017, wondering if his insurance has and out and will refuse to pay.

It was reported his registration expired March 2017, wondering if his insurance has and out and will refuse to pay.
Yup! Feds may be interested too. Seems every gear up is a mechanical failure.
FAA says a expired registration makes the airplane illegal to fly. It's a 1962 C model so maybe no insurance anyway but he's in hot water anyway, violation.

Last edited:
More than one person from that area that flys sans registration, medical, certificate......

I am thinking of a specific 310 that passed me from behind, on my left, at 100 feet separation, same altitude and not talking on the radio.

More than one person from that area that flys sans registration, medical, certificate......

I am thinking of a specific 310 that passed me from behind, on my left, at 100 feet separation, same altitude and not talking on the radio.
Did he sound his horn like a proper gentleman driver?

You were a racer man. At least it wasn't Dale Sr or you'd been in the wall, er, his turbulence. Were you never passed on the left before? o_O

Almost never an injury from a gear up landing. They just land and scrape and end upright. Mechanics come out, manually lift the plane, and pull the gear down, then push it off the runway by hand.

Almost never an injury from a gear up landing. They just land and scrape and end upright. Mechanics come out, manually lift the plane, and pull the gear down, then push it off the runway by hand.

Yup. I was working the tower when we had a T-37 return w/ 2 IPs onboard and they couldn't get the gear down. Fire Dept foamed a section of the center runway. Meanwhile the Wing Commander, DO, and another's staff cars pulled up adjacent to the runway to watch. Here comes the T-37, looking good, flares, oh oh, wtf, oh no. See, they flared but didn't have the drag of the gear (didn't think of that) and touched down, ok slid down, beyond the foam. With the Wing CO watching. Two IPs! Bet they were buying at the O Club later.

Saw another T-37 that touched down on the T-37 runway just after midnight. Sparks, oh hell. RSU calls up, says" did you see that?", "yessir we did", RSU "got any openings up there"?

There's a light (blinking red?) in the nose or somewhere on front of T-37s that the IPs in the RSU use to verify the student has the gear down. So he was probably in hot water for not catching the student landing gear up.

All it did on both was scrap the bottom and grind off an antenna or two.

That plane used to be based at Mt Drone. A cfi bellied it in about 89 or 90. He was my cfi, just getting old and forgot. He way about 80. Fixed it and wife made him sell it.

Yup! Feds may be interested too. Seems every gear up is a mechanical failure.
FAA says a expired registration makes the airplane illegal to fly.
Can't vouch for that end of the country, but a gear up (no matter what the reason) is an auto 709 ride here. The FAA accepts no excuses.

Can't vouch for that end of the country, but a gear up (no matter what the reason) is an auto 709 ride here.
So if the FAA issues a request for re-evaluation, is the pilots license suspended until the re-evaluation is completed? I suspect the answer is yes.

edit: read up on it a bit. Normally the FAA wants the re-evaluation within 15 days, sooner is you will be flying passengers commercially. If you can't do the re-evaluation within 15 days you must surrender your license and a temporary license will be issued for 30 days.

Last edited:
Exactly why I have no interest in a retract for a piston single.

Glad everyone is ok

*injuries.

And yeah, C210 - one of the most dominant gear-up planes out there.

Had one on final when I worked Quonset tower during the controller strike. I was watching an Army NG Huey land and turned to check on the 210 who was on short final gear up. Yelled at him "negative gear" and then second later gear comes down and he asked if it were down. Yep. Never even thanked me or offered a ride.....

Had one on final when I worked Quonset tower during the controller strike. I was watching an Army NG Huey land and turned to check on the 210 who was on short final gear up. Yelled at him "negative gear" and then second later gear comes down and he asked if it were down. Yep. Never even thanked me or offered a ride.....

Several years ago I was on short final to a short gravel strip in Alaska when on the radio I heard "GEAR NOT DOWN..!!!"

So I firewalled it and off I went. Checked the gear, 3 green 1 in the mirror. Recycled, everything checked out Ok, so I landed. I never found out who the warning was for.

Just curious, what is different between a single engine retract and a multi engine retract? One thing I like about a 210 is that it is possible to make a visual check to see if all the gear is down or not.

Several years ago I was on short final to a short gravel strip in Alaska when on the radio I heard "GEAR NOT DOWN..!!!"

So I firewalled it and off I went. Checked the gear, 3 green 1 in the mirror. Recycled, everything checked out Ok, so I landed. I never found out who the warning was for.

Just curious, what is different between a single engine retract and a multi engine retract? One thing I like about a 210 is that it is possible to make a visual check to see if all the gear is down or not.

Better safe than sorry!

How do you mean different between a twin and SE? Yeah most twins you can't see the gear. Some twins have mirrors that show whether the gear is down.

Oh, I hear you. I specified single engine because I just have no interest in a multi engine piston. Next step up for me would be SETP.

Sorry. I randomly transmit a gear call instead of ATITAPA. It happens...

What about gas airplanes? You okay with those? Because they can run out of gas.

And what about that fuel pump switch? Do you have some type of automatic sensor with an actuator that will switch the fuel pump on and off when required?

Point is that retract gear is just another mechanism. It can fail and be forgotten like any other.

Back