Hangar Burglary

I have an acquaintance who releases a live rattlesnake in his house when he goes away for more than a day.
That's a little hardcore, even for me.

:eek: Haha that is hardcore Shepherd!

More theft at Taylor (T74), June 23 2018:

"Jason Snuggs post from my Home airport... I flew to Taylor (T74) last night to visit a friend. Upon returning to the airport at 7pm this evening to fly back to KGLE, I walked up to my 182 with the window pried open.

Thieves stole my brand new Avidyne audio panel, 550 nav com and my Garmin 430. Also lightspeed headset.

They damaged the paint on the door but knew exactly how to get the avionics out. Police got some prints and I have all the serial numbers, units are registered to me with Avidyne.

I’m sick about this, please keep ears open for units for sale."

That airport is just bad news. No wonder ACS Avionics escaped to Georgetown (KGTU).

@Ted DuPuis -- is it permitted for @zaitcev to post the serial numbers here? Then they would appear in a google search some unwitting buyer does and hopefully get his gear back and some justice from Johnny Law.

I don't know the policy about this.

Last edited:
I had a thief come into my hangar so often that I put a motion detection trail camera. Caught the thief in the act....a racoon using my doggy door for the hangar cat to come and go found a good food source.

Last time we had people get into our hangars and I think they had a key, at least that was my opinion.

This time it was Jason, who was just visiting for the night. They saw a plane on the ramp that hadn't been there before and checked it out. They took one of Jason's headsets, but left two more. Doesn't make sense, but maybe they got spooked. They took all of his avionics. This has happened once before that I know of and that was years ago, and there was suspicion that someone had the work done, stole it themselves and got insurance for it. I loaned him a handheld radio and ADSB and he was able to get back home today.

It's bad when something happens to any pilot, but someone you know and at your own airport makes it even more frustrating. We have a cool airport with a good group of pilots who like to hang out late into the night often. In this case, he landed about 9:30PM on Friday and the party was still going on in the helicopter hangar. By the time I got to the airport at 8AM, Jason's window was open, but I didn't think much about it since that's not uncommon. So sometime during the night, on a dark ramp, they probably had all of the time they needed.

Simply put, we need cameras and more lighting. It needs to happen, but Taylor is a poor town and I don't know what they'll do. We got funding for runway rehab, new hangars, VASI, AWOS was approved, and if the city will match $250K, we could have a new terminal. That doesn't seem like a lot of money, but I guess it's enough they may pass on the offer. How much can a few cameras and signs saying there are cameras cost? Combined, I bet we've lost $75-100K in the last two years. T74 is by a major highway and if you just look each time you drive by, it's easy to spot a new plane on the ramp.

Jason's panel before and after.
34984736_1883357595020764_5543674791875051520_n.jpg
36063558_1883357715020752_1685970015972491264_n.jpg

Omg. Someone really has to know what they are doing to steal this kind of stuff. Very targeted imo. I never leave my headsets in the plane, even in a locked hangar. But this is crazy!!!

25 years ago when the radios that came in cars sucked big time, people were replacing them with Blaupunkt radios, huge speakers, etc. That was perfect for listening to Pump up the Jam, Samantha Fox and assorted nineties music.

One of my friends had his radio stolen from his Honda Civic. He installed a new one and attached razor blades in the back of the radio, hoping to teach a valuable lesson to the thief that would attemp to steal it.

Bad idea.

On night as he came back to his parked car after a night out in town, he found his radio still in place but large pools of blood on the carpet and seats. The thief was so mad he used his boots to kick the **** out of the car, which was subsequently written off as a total loss.

More theft at Taylor (T74), June 23 2018:

"Jason Snuggs post from my Home airport... I flew to Taylor (T74) last night to visit a friend. Upon returning to the airport at 7pm this evening to fly back to KGLE, I walked up to my 182 with the window pried open.

Thieves stole my brand new Avidyne audio panel, 550 nav com and my Garmin 430. Also lightspeed headset.

They damaged the paint on the door but knew exactly how to get the avionics out. Police got some prints and I have all the serial numbers, units are registered to me with Avidyne.

I’m sick about this, please keep ears open for units for sale."

That airport is just bad news. No wonder ACS Avionics escaped to Georgetown (KGTU).
Wow that is terrible!!! Sorry!!!

25 years ago when the radios that came in cars sucked big time, people were replacing them with Blaupunkt radios, huge speakers, etc. That was perfect for listening to Pump up the Jam, Samantha Fox and assorted nineties music.

One of my friends had his radio stolen from his Honda Civic. He installed a new one and attached razor blades in the back of the radio, hoping to teach a valuable lesson to the thief that would attemp to steal it.

Bad idea.

On night as he came back to his parked car after a night out in town, he found his radio still in place but large pools of blood on the carpet and seats. The thief was so mad he used his boots to kick the **** out of the car, which was subsequently written off as a total loss.
Yep, used to be in parts of NYC you'd leave the car unlocked as the cost of replacing broken windows and doors was cheaper than replacing the radio.

Yep, used to be in parts of NYC you'd leave the car unlocked as the cost of replacing broken windows and doors was cheaper than replacing the radio.

That’s how it was in college when I owned a Jeep. Cheaper to leave the doors unlocked and have my stereo stolen than to replace a soft top that had been cut open so that they could then steal the stereo. And yes, someone eventually stole my stereo at the dorms.

Bad idea.

Good or bad idea, that guy is my hero!!

Good or bad idea, that guy is my hero!!
I had a friend who did this. He had a lot of very expensive stereo equipment. Unfortunately he died young and his Mom goes and sits in his truck all the time. He had become so paranoid, for a long time we were worried that there were other traps in the truck that she would hurt herself on. Luckily she didn't.

Omg. Someone really has to know what they are doing to steal this kind of stuff. Very targeted imo. I never leave my headsets in the plane, even in a locked hangar. But this is crazy!!!

a T-handle Allen wrench is all it takes. The stuff slides right out in seconds. Every time I see a nice piece of avionics on Ebay with a low reserve and no tray or owner's manual, this is what I think of.

Working door locks, even the cheap-azz Cessna ones, and sun shields all around are a must when RON on the ramp. The idea is not to be theft-proof. But, just to be a bigger PITA than the next guy. If I had a GTN, it'd come out and go into the flight bag when parked outside overnight. And, I too remove headsets and handhelds every time; even in my own hangar.

I lock the doors of the cars when in the garage, and I take my gun with me.

I know Jason well. He is a really good guy and funny as hell.
This blows.

Man this is unbelievable. I'd be going hunting if this happened to me. I hope someone catches the dirtbag responsible

a T-handle Allen wrench is all it takes. The stuff slides right out in seconds. Every time I see a nice piece of avionics on Ebay with a low reserve and no tray or owner's manual, this is what I think of.

A flying club I belonged to a bunch of years ago had a problem with avionics being stolen repeatedly. After the third incident, one of the club members made it extremely difficult (time consuming) to get the radios out. Starting with the top box, a couple of long screws where inserted from the bottom. This was done on each of the boxes, including the bottom one itself. That meant 3-4 minutes of unscrewing each box in order to get to the top one (plus the time it took the thief to figure out why just using an allen wrench wasn't yielding results). The problem went away.

Working door locks, even the cheap-azz Cessna ones, and sun shields all around are a must when RON on the ramp. The idea is not to be theft-proof. But, just to be a bigger PITA than the next guy. If I had a GTN, it'd come out and go into the flight bag when parked outside overnight. And, I too remove headsets and handhelds every time; even in my own hangar.

Haven't heard of anyone being affected by it personally, but I've heard of a scam where someone steals some avionics from a plane, then takes those same avionics to another plane that has the same set up and replaces them. That way stuff is sold with a "clean" serial number. The really bad part is that when the poor guy with the second aircraft eventually finds out, the thief is typically years gone, and probably any chance of an insurance claim.

Sounds like someone needs to fly in there and camp in their plane. I'd be willing if it was closer.

I don't like the idea of doing that over & over but I'm with you. I'd take out my good ones in a heartbeat. IMHO we should have removable keys or faceplates.

A guy should probably make a padded bag to keep them in, and slide them into a silver anti-static bag for storage.

Haven't heard of anyone being affected by it personally, but I've heard of a scam where someone steals some avionics from a plane, then takes those same avionics to another plane that has the same set up and replaces them. That way stuff is sold with a "clean" serial number. The really bad part is that when the poor guy with the second aircraft eventually finds out, the thief is typically years gone, and probably any chance of an insurance claim.
If you've ever installed a GPS...you'll quickly know that just swapping boxes will not work. If that were done I guarantee my setup/config would be all screwed up. There are all kinds of config settings for the ARINC 429 and RS 232 links....they just don't plug and play. :confused:

If you've ever installed a GPS...you'll quickly know that just swapping boxes will not work. If that were done I guarantee my setup/config would be all screwed up. There are all kinds of config settings for the ARINC 429 and RS 232 links....they just don't plug and play. :confused:

To be fair, the story was told to me in the 90s before we had all that other fancy equipment, like LORAN.

Sounds like someone needs to fly in there and camp in their plane. I'd be willing if it was closer.

Sounds as if the thief is an opportunist. He saw the plane sitting there, took a look, found something interesting, grabbed it and disappeared. All done in less than 10 minutes. Also someone that knows a little about airplanes and avionics. Probably makes a habit of visiting small airports when people are most likely to not be around.

I wouldn't mind helping if it wasn't so dang hot, muggy and with so many mosquitoes. I don't mind "taking care" of a thief. I'd hope we have some good lawyers on this board that could get me off death row. ;)

Sounds as if the thief is an opportunist. He saw the plane sitting there, took a look, found something interesting, grabbed it and disappeared. All done in less than 10 minutes. Also someone that knows a little about airplanes and avionics. Probably makes a habit of visiting small airports when people are most likely to not be around.
I think the same. As mentioned before, T74 is right off the hwy, easy egress too. Silly fence with gates permanently open. No security, no cameras. It is a nice sleepy-town airport, I like it. It is shame that it is being targeted for easy loot. :(
I've been saying for years that I fear the day when thieves figure out they can open old airplanes with an old Chevy key or even a screwdriver. :(

Jack, how soon till y'all take matters into y'all's hands? It seems the police can't do much if they are short on officers.

I was thinking about camping IN the plane. Not with the plane. Still be muggy and hot, but the skeeters shouldn't get it. Then just sit and wait with a taser.

I was thinking about camping IN the plane. Not with the plane. Still be muggy and hot, but the skeeters shouldn't get it. Then just sit and wait with a taser.
I was thinking more of a 6" combat knife. Or heck, camp out at the Best Western nextdoor on the 2nd floor with my grampa's .223. Nice cool A/C and coffee within reach. And easy egress before the unavailable squad cars arrive. :)

I was thinking more of a 6" combat knife. Or heck, camp out at the Best Western nextdoor on the 2nd floor with my grampa's .223. Nice cool A/C and coffee within reach. And easy egress before the unavailable squad cars arrive. :)

Less satisfying though. Plus, I'd want to stomp a mudhole in the guy.

I wouldn't mind helping if it wasn't so dang hot, muggy and with so many mosquitoes. I don't mind "taking care" of a thief. I'd hope we have some good lawyers on this board that could get me off death row. ;)

I think the same. As mentioned before, T74 is right off the hwy, easy egress too. Silly fence with gates permanently open. No security, no cameras. It is a nice sleepy-town airport, I like it. It is shame that it is being targeted for easy loot. :(
I've been saying for years that I fear the day when thieves figure out they can open old airplanes with an old Chevy key or even a screwdriver. :(

Jack, how soon till y'all take matters into y'all's hands? It seems the police can't do much if they are short on officers.
Nothing in the hangar or in a plane is worth me going to prison for! I hate to say it, but it's not my problem. I've removed anything I can't afford to lose from my hangar. The plane is insured. Now if I walked into a situation and caught someone... who knows?

Nothing in the hangar or in a plane is worth me going to prison for! I hate to say it, but it's not my problem. I've removed anything I can't afford to lose from my hangar. The plane is insured. Now if I walked into a situation and caught someone... who knows?
I am sure in that situation you'd be forced to use self defense. If I was on the jury, I'd clear you and give you a medal for great community service.

Problem is, you WOULDN'T be on the jury - they'd make sure a bunch of mother's with young son's were on it. The last person a lawyer would allow on a jury would be a pilot. As much as I'd enjoy administering some Texas Justice - Jack's probably right: let the insurance handle it. Lot less fun though.

Back