Chunks of Dakota gone South

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
Pulled fuel tanks on our Dakota for a vent tube inspect/replace in preparation for new paint soon.
Also pulled the wingtips for repair and lighting mod/upgrade/repair.

7393d48438ee5be3dfb189e6aa460f98.jpg

f0e47781bcd4963ae6ab8043c6780a97.jpg

70880942c9ddc24cf46f0d493f1d4005.jpg

Based on the title I was expecting South Dakota to have given up on this whole 45º55' border thing and started to annex part of their northern neighbor...

Based on the title I was expecting South Dakota to have given up on this whole 45º55' border thing and started to annex part of their northern neighbor...

Yeah, Bismarck acquiesces to Pierre.
Trying to coin a decent pun but I think I fell short.

Ya, it always seems to be oil that starts these territorial wars. ;) :p

Wow, that looks invasive!!

Why is some of the structure primered and other not? Factory, or prior repair?

Wow, that looks invasive!!

Why is some of the structure primered and other not? Factory, or prior repair?
I’ve heard no explanation of why some factory stuff was primed and some was not. As I understand it the Comanche was totally primed but that spec was dropped for the PA-28s. My Dakota, a 79, is mostly unprimed.

Ya know, the more parts you take off, the lighter the plane gets, the faster it goes......

It's now a Dakota Glider, but won't be headed back to South Dakota until we can carry fuel again. Oh, and getting new paint soon, and discussing avionics upgrades - Garmin G5 and some kind of upgrade of the 430W - tbd.

We discussed upgrading to an Aspen and Garmin GTN750 or something ... to match the Bonanza and Saratoga, but we may be backing down from that a bit.

Don't be moving that thing around, like in and out of the hangar, without reinstalling the tanks. Those suckers are structural, you'll ripple the wing skins. Good opportunity to get a n inspection cam in there down along the wing root, attach points and such for future reference.

CorrosionX is great for coating the internal metal on a plane. It is easy to apply and will prevent corrosion like the primer. DO IT WELL before you paint or after you paint. It will leave a very fine residue all over the inside metal surfaces when done correctly. http://www.corrosionx.com/

Even South Dakota knows North Dakota has more nukes than most countries, and doesn’t mess with them. ;)

Even South Dakota knows North Dakota has more nukes than most countries, and doesn’t mess with them. ;)

I have a friends in Canada and sent them a map of the nuke silos locations in ND and Montana. Another one in WY too. Told them those things would be flying right over them on their way to the Kremlin. They thought there were just a few, but there's 100 of them now (used to 250).

Going to be one fine Dakota ,when finished ,with new avionics. Good luck.

Back