Fish meds? Really?

James331

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
James331
So I was perusing some other sites and someone mentioned that if you ever find yourself in need of cipro or something and the pharmacy isn't open or there's no one to write you a rx for it, one could go to a pet store and buy most antibiotics and some other stuff without a prescription because they are for dissolving in fish tanks, but same pills?

Not remotely in the market for any of this stuff, but thought it was interesting.

Anyone know about this?

Anyone know about this?

I've been taking "fish" amoxicillin for years. I always keep it on hand for whenever I get a cactus infection. I discovered that the same manufacturers who make the fish pills also make human pills. Same lot numbers, same capsules. The reason I know this is years ago I had a scrip filled at the pharmacy for an abscessed tooth. At the time I also had an aquarium full of fish. One day I was looking at my scrip pills and noticed that my fish pills were the exact same capsules and the same lot number as my scrip was. I did some research on the matter and discovered that many "pill labs" will manufacture for both the human and animal markets using the very same pharmaceutical grade chemicals and the very same equipment. When the rare occasion arises, there are also several other "veterinary" based drugs I take in lieu of the more expensive human versions.

Big pharma is such a racket! :yesnod:

I have a co-worker who says she takes the same medicine her dog does, except that hers is cheaper (after insurance), so she gives the dog hers.

Frontline?

I wouldn't laugh too hard there dude... if you're an avid outdoorsman and know you're gonna to be out hiking in tick country, one the best methods I've found to keep them at bay, is a liberal application of DEET and wearing flea collars on my ankles. :cool:

I wouldn't laugh too hard there dude... if you're an avid outdoorsman and know you're gonna to be out hiking in tick country, one the best methods I've found to keep them at bay, is a liberal application of DEET and wearing flea collars on my ankles. :cool:
A lot different than taking four-legged flea medication.

Yep. Used to carry the collars when deployed in the field.

We best all stockpile Cipro - word has it N Korea has an Anthrax arsenal.

Lol, so do we, and the US government kills way more Americans than North Korea.

I wouldn't laugh at that either. Cipro along with iodine is good for radiation poisoning also. I'm a "prepper"... so I keep all kinds of drugs on hand. :eek:

Iodine surely. Cipro for Rad exposure? Enlighten me.
....or was that a dangling participle or something?

Cipro is good to keep on hand for lots of things, between nukes to eating bad sushi, it's actually one of the few meds I keep around, don't use it often but when I do I'm damn glad I had it.

Tractor Supply is a good source for things like that, too.

Rich

Fish meds fish meds rollie pollie ... oops, wrong forum

dude, I have insider information that will blow your sense of reality straight out of the water. Observe:

BB85V.jpg

Big pharma is such a racket!

An even bigger racket is the insurance companies charging ever increasing prices for prescription coverage. After a conversation with my pharmacist I learned that I could byt the one prescription I take for considerably less than the monthly cost of BCBS insurance. The pharmacy was billing BCBS $149.00 for a scrip I could buy for about $35.00.

I kept fish for about 12 years (African Cichlids), which can get pretty pricy. If one fish gets sick, you can't medicate a single fish so you have to dose the entire tank. Biggest tank I had was 120 gallons, about 5 feet long.

An even bigger racket is the insurance companies charging ever increasing prices for prescription coverage. After a conversation with my pharmacist I learned that I could byt the one prescription I take for considerably less than the monthly cost of BCBS insurance. The pharmacy was billing BCBS $149.00 for a scrip I could buy for about $35.00.

Many people assume that insurance gets them (or should get them) the best deal. Insurance companies only negotiate rates which they find acceptable based on the claims that that anticipate having to pay. With pharmaceuticals in particular, lots of others organizations also negotiate, and it’s relatively easy to take advantage of someone else’s negotiated pricing. Just have to do a little homework. It’s been years since I paid insurance plan pricing for medications.

JKG

May as well sprinkle fish food on your salad. Alpo is good cheap protein, too. Save the Fancy Feast for the special occasions!

Back