Engine shut down in twin?

Joffreyyy

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Joffreyyy
just wanted to confirm something , there is a checklist for 1. Engine failure during flight which includes the full mixture full prop full throttle then there is 2. Restart procedures where you try to turn it back on and 3. Securing engine checklist where you feather it

If it happens in cruise when would you feather vs try to restart and would you use the checklist if so what parts? (1.2and 3? Or just 2.3?

If there is an engine fire in cruise do you take the time to do checklist or just have engine fire memorized and do it then confirm

Thanks!

just wanted to confirm something , there is a checklist for 1. Engine failure during flight which includes the full mixture full prop full throttle then there is 2. Restart procedures where you try to turn it back on and 3. Securing engine checklist where you feather it

If it happens in cruise when would you feather vs try to restart and would you use the checklist if so what parts? (1.2and 3? Or just 2.3?

If there is an engine fire in cruise do you take the time to do checklist or just have engine fire memorized and do it then confirm

Thanks!

I've done the shut-down/feather/restart dozens of times with students/MEL applicants (checkride requirement) and used the checklist every time...negative training when the instructor/examiner does not use the checklist. I did the shut-down-feather-land with one turning just once, and that was plenty. Had a copilot on that trip and he ran the checklist.

Engine fire is a memorization item.

Bob Gardner

Let’s say your oil temp was very high in red and low oil pressure it starts smoking would you secure by memory or checklist? That is more of the question I suppose

I've done the shut-down/feather/restart dozens of times with students/MEL applicants (checkride requirement) and used the checklist every time...negative training when the instructor/examiner does not use the checklist. I did the shut-down-feather-land with one turning just once, and that was plenty. Had a copilot on that trip and he ran the checklist.

Engine fire is a memorization item.

Bob Gardner

Yep, had to do that for my AMEL. The feather and restart that is, not the feather and land. Having the "dead" engine at idle still helps a bit especially once you bring the good one to idle for touchdown.

Let’s say your oil temp was very high in red and low oil pressure it starts smoking would you secure by memory or checklist? That is more of the question I suppose

Bob answered your question in post #2 above for you. You could consult a MEI or look at a checklist for whatever twin you're referring to.

In cruise, you have time. There is no reason not to reference the checklist as you shut the engine down. Do not make an inconvenience a serious emergency by rushing things and creating more problems.

If one engine died while in cruise, I would start with mixture rich, fuel pump on, switch tanks. If it does not restart after that, then shut down checklist. If enough time and able I may try the restart checklist, depends on the situation.

If the engine suddenly burst into flames, then memory items first. Throttle idle, prop feather, mixture cutoff, fuel pump off, fuel tank selector off. Then checklist.

Fire scares the bejebbers out of me. I will probably want to be on the ground ASAP.

In cruise, you have time. There is no reason not to reference the checklist as you shut the engine down. Do not make an inconvenience a serious emergency by rushing things and creating more problems.

One mantra I drummed into the heads of my MEL students (and in THE COMPLETE MULTIENGINE PILOT)" "Don't just do something, sit there!". Doing the wrong thing in a hurry seldom ends well.

Bob

One mantra I drummed into the heads of my MEL students (and in THE COMPLETE MULTIENGINE PILOT)" "Don't just do something, sit there!". Doing the wrong thing in a hurry seldom ends well.

Bob
Yep.. and as we hammer into our MEL students there have too many times people have secured the wrong engines and then end up SOL.

Back