Should I renew 3rd Class Med Cert if I got BasicMed?

eetrojan

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
eetrojan
I had a physical exam setup with my regular doctor, so I filled out a BasicMed form and showed it to him to see if he would fill out his portion and counter-sign it. Had my physical. No problem. Even my anus is qualified to fly it seems. So, Done.

The privileges from BasicMed are fine for my recreational filing.

My third class medical certificate expires next month. I don't presently have any health issues, so I don't see any problem renewing it. That said, I don't see any upside to renewing it either.

Any downside to just letting it lapse?

Last edited:
No downside for your backside. Just the upside for being outside at altitude. See you on the flip side.

I’m going to renew mine. No need for me to go BasicMed at this point in my life.

I’m going to renew mine. No need for me to go BasicMed at this point in my life.
All I gotta say is be careful. Unless you need to fly outside the bounds of BasicMed you are taking a risk every time you go back for the 3rd class.

I would heavily recommend avoiding the unnecessary hassle and danger of the 3rd class for anyone that doesn't need more than 5 passengers, won't fly for hire, won't exceed 18,000ft and remain under 250 knots.

But if you want the piece of paper that no longer has meaning in those circumstances then knock yourself out.

All I gotta say is be careful. Unless you need to fly outside the bounds of BasicMed you are taking a risk every time you go back for the 3rd class.
Elaborate more. What kind of risk am I taking?

Elaborate more. What kind of risk am I taking?
You seem fine. You go in and the AME goes fishing. Now you're not fine. And now you got denied so BasicMed is no longer an option.

It is a gamble. I was fine until I had something as simple as kidney stones hose me. The diagnosis that isn't supposed to be grounding was permanently grounding. Thankfully I never saw the AME so I never got denied.

You seem fine. You go in and the AME goes fishing. Now you're not fine. And now you got denied so BasicMed is no longer an option.

It is a gamble. I was fine until I had something as simple as kidney stones hose me. The diagnosis that isn't supposed to be grounding was permanently grounding. Thankfully I never saw the AME so I never got denied.
Yeah, that’s very true. At this point in my life I feel confident that I’ll pass another 3rd, especially at my age. I have no adverse medical history, although could change at any moment like you say. I do my very best to eat correctly, excercise regularly and get adequate rest and feel as though I’ll be just fine. I’m willing to take the gamble another time.

Get a "consult" before giving the doc a MedExpress number. This works if you have a good-guy AME, not a dick who might "turn you in."

Not if your AME refuses to open your Medxpress with the code.

Most of what I do is simply to protect the pilot from denial.

Last edited:

Most of what I do is simply to protect the pilot form denial.

That’s what I appreciate about you Bruce. And a lot of other things, too. You’re one of the few who truly care.

Most of what I do is simply to protect the pilot form denial.
Yep. And that's awesome about you. Unfortunately I have found you to be exceedingly rare among AMEs. I found most unwilling to even speak without the code, almost like they think it's a requirement.

Well they say 1 of 10 folks are gay...

How many POA people are registered??

Seems like reupping your 3rd class defeats the whole point.

Unless you are going to be flying international or something, if I wasn't flying for hire, even as a young guy, I wouldn't come near a AME. Further I can stay awayone from the FAA and FAA accessories the better, less risk.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back