ICOM AN-25N Unboxing

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
I just took delivery of a new ICOM AN-25N handheld aviation radio.

For details on the unit, see the manufacturer's web page: http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/avionics/handheld/a25/default.aspx

This was purchased through Amazon on Wednesday afternoon, Nov. 1. My original source was going to be Gulf Coast Avionics, but then I switched to Amazon. Reason? I wanted it by Friday and Gulf Coast was charging an additional $55.00 for 2-day shipping by either FedEx or UPS (don't blame them, the service ain't cheap). But with my Amazon Prime membership, the unit was the same base cost, but FREE 2-day shipping. Price was the same on both sites, $550.00

And the sorta interesting bit? Unit was sold by Gulf Coast Avionics and fulfilled by Amazon.

In another thread, someone mentioned they would like to see an unboxing video. Since I'm not good at videos, here are some still photos.

Included with purchase is the rechargeable battery pack, the AA-battery pack (takes 6-AA's), charger base, transformer for charger base, antenna, belt clip, lanyard, and headset adapter.

The Li battery had a bit of a charge on it, enough for it to turn on and let me look at some of the settings menu. So it's on the charger now. I have not played with the settings nor used it to listen in on any transmissions yet. But once I get some time on it, I'll post a user review.

IMG_1232[1].jpg IMG_1233[1].jpg IMG_1234[1].jpg IMG_1235[1].jpg IMG_1236[1].jpg

You'll never use the VOR. Rarely, if ever, use the GPS. I have an older ICOM. Love the radio, never once used the VOR. The VOR on it doesn't even work anymore.

dayum, looks fancy shmancy. when I get a backup radio it's going to be just that....a backup...radio.

Looks really nice. Lots of capability.

Will this be for backup? I have an A6 for primary. Transmission with the rubber duck is very poor. Reception is ok, IIRC. You might want to rig another coax lead to a real antenna. Tx through a real antenna is decent.

Backup, plus something to have at the fly ins

Yeah, they're kind of one of those things.
I feel like I need one though as the radios in the rentals are really junk. I mean really.
Plus the alternator breaker has tripped twice on the 172 in the last month. (not on me but just before I flew)
Gawd I hate to add anything else to my flight bag. :confused:

Honestly, I think the purchase wasn’t the best of ideas. Simply.... I don’t use it at all. Likely will post it for sale soon.
My handheld is a rarely used item but it’s always in my knapsack. It’s one of those things that ya don’t need but every now and then yer glad you have it.

My handheld is a rarely used item but it’s always in my knapsack. It’s one of those things that ya don’t need but every now and then yer glad you have it.

Just keep fresh batteries with you, too. You'll need that handheld once every five years and when you go to use it, dead batteries.

Just keep fresh batteries with you, too. You'll need that handheld once every five years and when you go to use it, dead batteries.
Really? I’ve had the same battery in it for 20 years and it’s never failed! Never needs charged and it never runs down! It’s friggin’ amazing I tells ya!

Back