Senior Discounts?

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Light and Sporty Guy
Why?
I would say that they move with the speed of molasses, but it turns out that molasses can move at 35 miles per hour.

The "seniors" in those scooters are the worst. Start. Stop. Stop. Go slow. Stop. Back up. All the while blocking the whole isle. Then they try to make a u turn. Get crosswise in the isle and sit and stare at the shelf.
Then they get to the checkout.
First the coupons. O.M.G. the coupons. You can't buy the generic and use the name brand coupon.
Finally, all checked out. You would think that it would be easy at this point. You would be wrong.
Just how long does it take to find the credit card? Couldn't you have started to look while the cashier was scanning stuff? Was it so important to stand there and watch her?
Once they find the card, then they can't figure out how to use it. There are only four possible ways to stick the card in the chip reader slot. How hard can it be?
When the cashier tells you to turn it around, turn it around. Don't just sick it back in the way that didn't work before.
Finally the cashier comes around and takes the card away and sticks it in for them.
You would think, finally. The line is going to move. Yea, right.
"Just sign and press accept". Stand there staring at the touch screen. Cashier has to reach over and point - "sign it there".
"Here?"
"Yes - there".
Cue Jepordy theme.
"Now press accept"
"Accept?"
Cashier reaches over and presses it for them.:rolleyes2:

Then, the self checkouts. Wow. Don't ever get behind a "senior" at a self checkout. Ever.

Why do these people get discounts?

They should be thankful that there isn't a "Senior Service Charge" .

Now, get off my lawn.
And stay off.

Why?
I would say that they move with the speed of molasses, but it turns out that molasses can move at 35 miles per hour.

The "seniors" in those scooters are the worst. Start. Stop. Stop. Go slow. Stop. Back up. All the while blocking the whole isle. Then they try to make a u turn. Get crosswise in the isle and sit and stare at the shelf.
First the coupons. O.M.G. the coupons. You can't buy the generic and use the name brand coupon.
Finally, all checked out. You would think that it would be easy at this point. You would be wrong.
Just how long does it take to find the credit card? Couldn't you have started to look while the cashier was scanning stuff? Was it so important to stand there and watch her?
Once they find the card, then they can't figure out how to use it. There are only four possible ways to stick the card in the chip reader slot. How hard can it be?
When the cashier tells you to turn it around, turn it around. Don't just sick it back in the way that didn't work before.
Finally the cashier comes around and takes the card away and sticks it in for them.
"Just sign and press accept". Stand there staring at the touch screen. Cashier has to reach over and point - "sign it there".
"Here?"
"Yes - there".
Cue Jepordy theme.
"Now press accept"
"Accept?"

Then, the self checkouts. Wow. Don't ever get behind a "senior" at a self checkout. Ever.

Now, get off my lawn.
And stay off.
I must commend you on that rant! Grade A+

I am glad I am not the only one that has experienced it. Now who on this board does these things? @Sac Arrow , @mscard88 ? hmmm...

Actually I like to take my time writing a check, always around 5-6 when people are in hurry to pick up crap for mom and in a hurry. Oh the names I can hear people muttering under their breath at me! It's a hoot, and so fun. Oh, Publix stopped giving senior discounts on Wed recently. Bastards, ruining senior funtime!

Annoying the youngsters at checkout lines when you’re retired, sounds like fun.

You have no schedule. What do you care?

What are they going to do? Have an aneurism or stroke out from stress over waiting a few minutes? LOL.

Yay. Now we get to hang out and watch EMTs load then in a wagon.

“You won’t believe what I saw at the grocery store today...” :)

You have no schedule. What do you care?
I know some retired folks who are incredibly impatient. Just like they were before they retired. I think people's personalities are pretty set by the time they get into their 60s.

One thing seniors know is it is an ailse we are blocking, not an isle.

Man, some places are giving me the sr discount without even asking me.....:(

I am only 58..!!!!!

I can't wait to buy a single piece of fruit with a coupon and then try to return it later with a long line behind me.....

Naples FL Costco and snowbirds. These people obviously have the money to winter here but the old cheapskates go to Costco to eat lunch at the free sample carts. The old lady shopping and the husband wandering around in a clueless haze. Average age here in winter is 80. That and people who bring five kids with them when shopping.

When I owned my business in Florida, I was often asked why I didn't offer a senior discount. The reason was simple: Most of my customers were seniors and they were the ones most likely to be able to afford full price.

I just hate the way they walk around and drive while texting on their phones, using twitter, snapchat, instagram, facebook, etc.

Research shows that men will take longer to leave a parking space when someone is waiting than when no one is, while women leave faster.

That has nothing to do with this thread. I don't think they analyzed seniors separately.

Research shows that men will take longer to leave a parking space when someone is waiting than when no one is, while women leave faster.

That has nothing to do with this thread. I don't think they analyzed seniors separately.

If the lot is full or nearly so, I expedite. If there are lots of empty spaces, I might linger.

But I want to know who sits around in parking lots and takes notes on these sort of things and more importantly is it tax payer funded?

. I think people's personalities are pretty set by the time they get into their 60s.
Yes and no.. The folks at work say I have mellowed over the last 20 years. Work smarter not harder is my normal reply..:)

I just hate the way they walk around and drive while texting on their phones, using twitter, snapchat, instagram, facebook, etc.
Funny dog...

You know, someone needs to sue over agism and claim they “feel” like a senior, just like all the gender garbage, so no business is allowed to ask, and must give discounts to anyone who feels old today.

“I’ve been over 60 since I was in the womb. Who are you to tell me I wasn’t? Gimme my discount!”

I got a haircut yesterday and the barber asked me if I was retired. That was a first for me. I turn 55 next month.

I self identify as a senior citizen. I've often said I've been a curmudgeon since I was 15.

I want my discounts and my social security checks now. They can't deny be based on the stupid provable fact that I was born in 1966. I have rights. (and lefts too)

But really, there's a Mexican restaurant I eat at often for lunch and I order 1 Tamale with rice, no beans, and a margarita rocks with salt.

The server said, "oh, so you want the children's 3?" I didn't know children prefer their margaritas on the rocks!

Last edited:
I self identify as a senior citizen. I've often said I've been a curmudgeon since I was 15.

I want my discounts and my social security checks now. The can't deny be based on the stupid provable fact that I was born in 1966.

But really, there's a Mexican restaurant I eat at often for lunch and I order 1 Tamale with rice, no beans, and a margarita rocks with salt.

The server said, "oh, so you want the children's 3?" I didn't know children prefer their margaritas on the rocks!

SOme Mexican chain at the ATL airport used to have a child's burrito and a side and drink. Damn burrito was good size and we'd order it. Guess the manager got tired of the crews buying it so they took it off the menu. A regular size burrito was way too big, enough for 2-3 people. Basturds!

Last edited:
It's probably of note to add. I order that because the the Tamale plate has 3 with rice and beans. I can't eat 3 tamales, I don't like beans, and I almost never eat leftovers. Generally I order a la carte items.

Finishing my threadjack: When I order and say "no beans" they always read back "double rice." I've given up long ago saying, SINGLE rice, no beans.

[I suspect they must cover the entire plate because the dish washers are lazy]

Since I died four years ago and came back via an AED , I get the seniors or kids discount, whichever is the best deal.

Cheers

Snowbird season here in Central Florida, too. Do I need a migratory bird permit to shoot them? I go out for a nice ride on the Triumph, looking to have a relaxing afternoon committing high-speed traffic felonies, and #@$% if I don't always get stuck behind some license plate from Michigan or Illinois or some other yankee state that can't seem to go more than about 40mph.

Local waiters have learned how to get good tips, though, by carding my wife when she tries to order off the senior's menu. :)

It's probably of note to add. I order that because the the Tamale plate has 3 with rice and beans. I can't eat 3 tamales, I don't like beans, and I almost never eat leftovers. Generally I order a la carte items.

Finishing my threadjack: When I order and say "no beans" they always read back "double rice." I've given up long ago saying, SINGLE rice, no beans.

[I suspect they must cover the entire plate because the dish washers are lazy]

I'd rather have the beans than the rice.

I'd rather have the beans than the rice.

Yeah we know, figures...

does-rice-cause-gas.jpg

Snowbird season here in Central Florida, too. Do I need a migratory bird permit to shoot them? I go out for a nice ride on the Triumph, looking to have a relaxing afternoon committing high-speed traffic felonies, and #@$% if I don't always get stuck behind some license plate from Michigan or Illinois or some other yankee state that can't seem to go more than about 40mph.

Local waiters have learned how to get good tips, though, by carding my wife when she tries to order off the senior's menu. :)

worse yet are the ones from canada, i think they forget that their speedometers are in KM/HR and drive the speed limit in KM/HR, for those that do not want do the math, 70 km/hr is 43 mph..........

bob

Why?

"Here?"
"Yes - there".
Cue Jepordy theme.
"Now press accept"
"Accept?"

Now, get off my lawn.
And stay off.

Oh and while we are at it. Working a normal 7-430 m-fri. Go out to dinner Friday or Saurday and get to stand in line behind a bunch of retired people. Why can't you retired people go to dinner in the middle of the week and leave the weekends to those of us still in the working pool? I don't understand it why wait on a Saturday when everyday is Saturday for ya'll? It is like going out to dinner on Mother's Day, Why? Crappy service, grumpy wait staff.

Thanks for bringing this up. I feel a little better now.

maybe the movie Logan's Run had it right.

Oh and while we are at it. Working a normal 7-430 m-fri. Go out to dinner Friday or Saurday and get to stand in line behind a bunch of retired people. Why can't you retired people go to dinner in the middle of the week and leave the weekends to those of us still in the working pool? I don't understand it why wait on a Saturday when everyday is Saturday for ya'll? It is like going out to dinner on Mother's Day, Why? Crappy service, grumpy wait staff.

Thanks for bringing this up. I feel a little better now.

maybe the movie Logan's Run had it right.
I do go out to eat mid-week. I also go out to lunch mid-week, and usually enjoy a glass (or bottle) of wine with my meals.
But I also go out on Saturday or whenever I feel like it. Sorry if it inconveniences you. Maybe, if you work hard and save, you too will be able to enjoy life one day too.

worse yet are the ones from canada, i think they forget that their speedometers are in KM/HR and drive the speed limit in KM/HR, for those that do not want do the math, 70 km/hr is 43 mph..........

So that's why all the people with Washington plates drive 45MPH in the 55 zones on Highway 101 in Oregon. (and 45 in the 45, and 45 in the 35, and sometimes they bother to slow a bit for the 25)

The way I avoid waiting in line for a meal on weekends is I go to a restaurant that takes reservations rather than Burger King.

Cheers

Back