Hangar Burglary

Yah, Jack. I read about this on VAF today. (Dave)

I'm surprised the city isn't notifying the tenants. Sorry to say it, but these days, the tenant who doesn't come to check his stuff may well be the thief.

Yah, Jack. I read about this on VAF today. (Dave)

I'm surprised the city isn't notifying the tenants. Sorry to say it, but these days, the tenant who doesn't come to check his stuff may well be the thief.
I honestly think it's someone who has a key, but it's hard to accuse somebody. I think they got a key to get into my hangar, then figured the police would suspect them and decided to add scratch marks to some of the other hangars. Maybe I've just seen too many true crime shows!

FYI. Internet isn't required for a good alarm system, or a land line. Just cell phone service which can't be disabled by cutting the phone line. Unless you want security cameras that you can view on the cell phone or internet.

I like alarms that make a LOT of noise and flash several lights and notify me if that happens.

I learned a lesson last night. I have a stand alone panic button for my alarm system. DO NOT lay these flat. The cat will walk on it at 3am..... And I had to explain that to the monitoring company. I swear I heard muffled laughing in the back ground.....

Another reason not to have a live cat.

Another reason not to have a live cat.

Unless you're hungry...

Cat_Chinese_Food_01.jpg

Off topic - had an office assistant who was known to be very cat-allergic. One day she went to the local Chinese place for lunch and the couldn't work the rest of the day due to hives and facial swelling.

To the OP, any way to change the lock? Even if management needs a key, change to a proprietary lock set. Give them a key that can't be duplicated (there are still some out there) and if you get broken into again...management will have some Splain'in to do.

Yesterday was interesting. At least two more people have had their hangars burglarized. Not sure if they happened the same day as mine and they just now discovered them or if it's a new crime. There were two hangars that were robbed and they had deep scratches at the top of the door, on the door knob side. The police believe they pushed in the top of the door, and slid something down to pop the latch open or pull the door handle. There is one other hangar that has the marks and they've asked that guy to come out and check his plane, but he didn't make it out yesterday, so we don't know. Oddly, my hangar doesn't have these scratches on the door. Also odd, all hangars that we know were hit were on the corners of the hangars, where the security lights are mounted.

They have one person of interest, not really a suspect, but someone they will talk to. They took a lot more prints and assigned a detective to the case, so we'll see if anything happens. Let's just hope this is the end of it. For some reason, as of now anyway, the City won't call all of the hangar tenants and have them come check hangars. As rarely as some of these guys fly, it could take months to figure out who all was hit. I've notified everyone I know at least.

Be interesting to see if the prints match or if it’s a copy-cat.

As far as fingerprints go, they flat out tell you it won't do much good around here. They depend on the State to process them and a hangar burglary ranks pretty low on their scale of crimes. It is simply a measure to nail the coffin shut if they catch them in the future. I will say this officer was very nice and thorough.

I hear you. We experienced a home invasion and LEO took the doorknob from kicked in door. They told me it would take 90 days to get back results. I told them I see on Miami Vice, Criminal Minds etc, they turn that around in about 12 minutes... What's the problem here in TN?

Glad they didn't get any of your $$$ cameras

-MF

Last edited:
set an ebay alert for the headsets centered within say 100 miles of your location. that's the best place to sell a headset

What you need is like Knight Rider but for a plane. Knight Flyer? Imagine your plane fighting back, taxiing out and taking off, landing in autonomous mode at the nearest FAA police HQ with the perp locked inside?

Well, one can dream!

What you need is like Knight Rider but for a plane. Knight Flyer? Imagine your plane fighting back, taxiing out and taking off, landing in autonomous mode at the nearest FAA police HQ with the perp locked inside?

Well, one can dream!

Airwolf can handle it. No need to get Knight Industries involved. For this job we want future McGuyver involved. We’ll save Mr. Future Baywatch for a different type of gig. LOL.

Plus, if we can’t find them, there’s that team we can call when nothing else works... what were they called? Oh yeah, the A-team. ;)

If you leave your desktop or laptop PC unlocked and unattended at the office, it gets “Hasselhoffed”. LOL. Animated loops on the entire desktop and both monitors, usually. :) :) :)

Airwolf can handle it. No need to get Knight Industries involved. For this job we want future McGuyver involved. We’ll save Mr. Future Baywatch for a different type of gig. LOL.

Plus, if we can’t find them, there’s that team we can call when nothing else works... what were they called? Oh yeah, the A-team. ;)

If you leave your desktop or laptop PC unlocked and unattended at the office, it gets “Hasselhoffed”. LOL. Animated loops on the entire desktop and both monitors, usually. :) :) :)

:rofl:

You left out Pam! Speaking of boobs!

nintchdbpict000269255911.jpg

We’ll save Mr. Future Baywatch for a different type of gig. LOL.

OK, you made me do it...

I hear you. We experienced a home invasion and LEO took the doorknob from kicked in door. They told me it would take 90 days to get back results. I told them I see on Miami Vice, Criminal Minds etc, they turn that around in about 12 minutes... What's the problem here in TN?

Glad they didn't get any of your $$$ cameras

-MF

Were you home at the time?

Last edited:
I see they now have caramel m&m's.

And they're SO good!
==============================

As for the anti-LE attitudes around here, I don't know that it's really anti-LE, but probably just disappointment. I'm one of the most law-abiding people I know and like someone else said, I've had police officers point guns at me a couple of times. And when you have someone who is obviously overly-hyped pointing a gun at you with one in the chamber, when you pose zero threat, it makes you VERY nervous. And you don't tend to look favorably on police after that.

The first time it happened apparently there was a false alarm of a quickiemart being robbed and I happened to be in there at the time. The second time was when I had a headlight go out on me late one night. Do you know when a headlight goes out? At night. So one cop approaches my door while the other has his gun pointed at me from the passenger side. Scares the crap out of you.

It's funny the things you will remember the rest of your life that mean nothing to someone else. When I was 16 I had a new Firebird. The ones with the plastic bumpers. A lady backed into it and while the replacement bumper was on order I put the plate in the back window. I even called the city police to ask if that was ok. Sure, as long as it's visible. Only a county deputy pulls me over and is lecturing me about the plate. When I said I called the city police to ask about it the guy pokes me in the chest with his pointer finer. "I'm not the city police!"

I'm not anti-police, but it's really hard to have happy thoughts about people who treat you this way.

With that said, a couple of my best friends are cops. Good people...no, great people. But just a few bad experiences can taint a person's view irrevocably.

I'll see your "Jump in my Car", and raise you a "Hooked on a feeling"

So much cheese, I just can't help but LoL!

Best comment from Youtube: "This video is like Interstellar, a lot of sheet happens that you can't explain."

LoL

It's funny the things you will remember the rest of your life that mean nothing to someone else. When I was 16 I had a new Firebird. The ones with the plastic bumpers. A lady backed into it and while the replacement bumper was on order I put the plate in the back window. I even called the city police to ask if that was ok. Sure, as long as it's visible. Only a county deputy pulls me over and is lecturing me about the plate. When I said I called the city police to ask about it the guy pokes me in the chest with his pointer finer. "I'm not the city police!"

You were 16. That was the problem.

I had a "discussion" with a Washington State Patrol trooper when I was 17. I turned left in front of him (a long way in front of him) to take the back entrance to the high school. I got pulled over because the tail lights were out in the car. I thanked them for letting me know and told them I would have my dad take care of it (his car). OK at that point. Then the trooper says, "Don't you think you turned a little close in front of me?" Well, no high school kid is going to argue with a state bull, but I was thinking that the only way I turned too close in front of him was if he was going well over the posted speed limit. And, after driving in the Boston area for 5 months, and then sharing the driving coming back across the country, I had far more driving experience than the average 17 year old. Oh well, not the first time, nor the last, that the WSP has given me cause to believe that they have a special class in the academy on how to have a "God Complex". I really don't care for that organization. They need to take some lessons from the California Highway Patrol on how to deal with the public. I've dealt with them a few times over the years ranging from "motorist in distress" to getting a ticket and the experience has been uniformly positive. Very professional organization. Oregon State Patrol, the one time I dealt with one of their troopers, was also very good. Again, back in high school, many decades ago. WSP, over the decades, not so great.

Well, unfortunately I can relate, Jack. My hangar was broken into a couple months ago as well. My perps kind of went the opposite way and left my headsets, but took all my tools and a bunch of my RC stuff. The cops also did the opposite, and didn't investigate the crime scene at all. I could have shown them fingerprints if they wanted to look, but they had no intention to do so. I even invited the police back after the fact to get some prints, but they weren't interested. I also got tire track measurements, gathered info from folks who had witnessed suspicious activity recently, and identified the most likely suspects and the vehicle used. The police agreed that those suspects were likely the ones that did it and questioned them, but since they didn't gather any evidence, all they had was circumstantial. One fingerprint could have told the tale. My stuff is long gone. I hope you fare better.

I honestly think it's someone who has a key, but it's hard to accuse somebody. I think they got a key to get into my hangar, then figured the police would suspect them and decided to add scratch marks to some of the other hangars. Maybe I've just seen too many true crime shows!
Jack,
Any update?
Did you move to a new hanger?

Maybe it's just me.
I can think of half a dozen non-lethal booby traps to secure a hanger.
Those are the hard ones.
Lethal booby traps are much, much easier to do.
Just a hint. Don't EVER touch my back door handle unless you are wearing very well insulated gloves.

Maybe it's just me.
Those are the hard ones.
Just a hint. Don't EVER touch my back door handle unless you are wearing very well insulated gloves.

Wiring diagrams please!

Simple.
A metal mat on the ground, a switch on the door and a really big Tesla coil.
Touch the door and nothing happens, open the door and the circuit makes and unleashes 300,000 + volts. No real current, so it won't kill you, but it will spasm you into next Thursday.
A large capacitor will work, but it takes some time to recharge.
An old magneto will also work. So will a power supply for an electric fence.
The trick is to make one entry point look "inviting" so they go to that one point.

I have an acquaintance who releases a live rattlesnake in his house when he goes away for more than a day.
That's a little hardcore, even for me.

Jack,
Any update?
Did you move to a new hanger?
No, no updates. Nothing from the police and I haven't moved yet. The city is supposed to put deadbolts on the hangars and if they don't, I will put one on mine. I should move in a week if the hangars are ready.

Maybe it's just me.
Those are the hard ones.
Just in case anyone is thinking about following this advice, well, my advice is that you don't! You say it's non-lethal, but if someone has a weak heart and maybe they don't die, but you hurt them, you'll be going to jail. People have died from tasars the police deployed... you know, the non-lethal force?! In my case, it's a City hangar. They have a right to go in my hangar any time they want for maintenance or to check to make sure we're following the rules. What if the police got a call saying someone suspicious was at the airport and they check to see if your hangar is locked? What if it's on fire and a fireman gets shocked? Simply not worth it. Put in a deadbolt and a camera, etc. Just my opinion though, everyone can do what they want.

I have an acquaintance who releases a live rattlesnake in his house when he goes away for more than a day.
That's a little hardcore, even for me.

The problem comes when you arrive home and can't find it. I'd hate to discover it in the couch when I'm laying down or sitting on it.

May I suggest what I use:
34BD93CA00000578-3614880-Trust_The_couple_say_the_bear_is_so_domesticated_he_sits_down_wi-a-62_1464513300097.jpg

Back