Part 141 Graduate... Need a DPE

USAF-LT-G

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
USAF-LT-G
Sitting in my hotel room in Addison Texas, but don't live anywhere close to here. Recent graduate of American Flyers Addison Part 141, have been trying to get my checkride past 2 days, and have had to continuously re-book my hotel and airfare out of here and spent way too much money on this instrument rating. I took a loan for $10k since the school wouldn't wait for the VA to pay them and hopefully the VA will reimburse me soon so I can pay the loan back. I spent another $2k 2 days ago on top of the $10 i've already paid, and i'm estimated it's going to cost another $2k since the school wants to ferry me and an instructor and the plane to the DPE. I've crammed, the knowledge is there, and I want to take my checkride so I can go home to my wife and kids (first person to give me the IMSAFE schpiel wins my foot... :) ).

Unfortunately, the low level fog, coupled with the early morning checkride schedules I've been scheduled with, coupled with the DPEs working for the airlines and not being able to conduct checkrides in / around / or above IMC is not helping. The weather tomorrow morning is not looking any better, with a low level IFR base lingering around until after 5pm. The school apparently isn't a 141 approved checkout school, so they're a course, but not able to perform checkouts.

I've done the training in a G1000 C172SP with no auto-pilot (no I do not own or have the plane), I'm in IACRA, I'm associated to the 141 program... I've passed all parts of the program and am fully endorsed, I just need the check ride. I've been out here since last Tuesday, and what started as "a lot of serious fun" is now to the point of I'm frustrated, and would like to get the ticket for which i've worked so hard for so I can go home to my family.

Any help... please advise.... ready to copy.

And unfortunately, the forecast for the next couple of days may not be much better. System is headed to Oklahoma, I’m not sure about DFW area. I’m scheduled for my IRA check ride Saturday morning. Fortunately, the 141 school that I used here is able to do their own check rides. I hope you’re able to get it done quick. Good luck!

Dont have facebook. And don't live in Texas. Just here for training.

And unfortunately, the forecast for the next couple of days may not be much better. System is headed to Oklahoma, I’m not sure about DFW area. I’m scheduled for my IRA check ride Saturday morning. Fortunately, the 141 school that I used here is able to do their own check rides. I hope you’re able to get it done quick. Good luck!

What school are you taking yours with? Wondering if they'd let me take the ride with them considering I'm a 141 grad, just not of their school. And yes agreed.... that new system west is not helping at all.

Oklahoma Aviation, KPWA. All C172SP, G1000 fleet as well. I can’t speak for them, but I’m thinking it would be a long shot. They have a pretty regimented system. Might be worth a call though. Hopefully, you’ll get yours done soon and you won’t have to fool with it.

Where is home?

Chi-Town... there's no 141 programs up there anymore, well.... none that are any worthwhile. And they test differently (i.e. big on VOR service volumes, widths of the glidescope, WAAS, and other things) which is fine, but would be concerned that everything i've hit hard and studied and know like lost comm procedures, and mandatory reporting, and AHRS vs ADC failure, etc., wouldn't be the same as what they're looking for. And the whole point was to use my VA benefits. But that hasn't completely worked its way out yet.

Just feel like i'm getting screwed six ways to Sunday. The program I did was an accelerated 141 program, was supossed to be 14 days, but with weather delays, and other things, it's been more like 20 days with a week off during Christmas. 20 LONG days, with my days typically starting at 5 - 6am, ending at 7pm, going to my hotel and getting in the study time / flight plan time. I swear If I have to flight plan another odd-ball route with w/b like I am right now, for another checkride that gets cancelled.... I'm going to go nuts!

BTW - they've currently got me ferrying up to Durrant to start a check-ride at 9am tomorrow, Flight planning to Hobby using a STAR. which would be all fine and dandy..... if the weather coorperated for that time. But it definately does not look like that is happening.

If you're still around Saturday, there is an event up at Burger Feed and WINGS event happening at DTO starting at 11:30am.

If you're still around Saturday, there is an event up at Burger Feed and WINGS event happening at DTO starting at 11:30am.

Lol read me edit above! Must be a good airport! :)

Lol read me edit above! Must be a good airport! :)

ACtually, whoops.... scratch that. I meant Durrant, and you said Denton :)

I was at Denton this morning. Took off from Addison to do 15 mins of holding work, couldn't get back in on the ILS, so diverted to Dento and was there from about 7:30am - 11:30am sitting and waiting for mins to come back up. You know it was low, when every Southwest Airline pilot was having to go around and then divert.

BTW - they've currently got me ferrying up to Durrant to start a check-ride at 9am tomorrow, Flight planning to Hobby using a STAR. which would be all fine and dandy..... if the weather coorperated for that time. But it definately does not look like that is happening.
Well, we’ll keep our fingers crossed that it works out tomorrow. Keep me posted.

Will do sir. Safe flying. And good luck on yours as well!

ACtually, whoops.... scratch that. I meant Durrant, and you said Denton :)

I was at Denton this morning. Took off from Addison to do 15 mins of holding work, couldn't get back in on the ILS, so diverted to Dento and was there from about 7:30am - 11:30am sitting and waiting for mins to come back up. You know it was low, when every Southwest Airline pilot was having to go around and then divert.
Zach Roland was the Tower controller this morning and a friend... he was chatting to us about how many diverts had to go to AFW.

Invite was legit if you want to join us.

Appreciate it sir. I may take you up on that if I'm still here :)

Well? Check ride today?

Well? Check ride today?

Negatory. DPE texted me this morning, apologized and had stomach flu. But weather was crap anyways.

So new game plan now.... I have business in Orange County next week, so the plan is to fly into Dallas Late Sunday night... Checkride in the morning if the weather is good. If it’s not good, continue on to Orange County, do my meetings, come back to Dallas late Wednesday night, check ride Thursday, head back to Chicago Thursday night.

We’ll see... stay tuned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Negatory. DPE texted me this morning, apologized and had stomach flu. But weather was crap anyways.

So new game plan now.... I have business in Orange County next week, so the plan is to fly into Dallas Late Sunday night... Checkride in the morning if the weather is good. If it’s not good, continue on to Orange County, do my meetings, come back to Dallas late Wednesday night, check ride Thursday, head back to Chicago Thursday night.

We’ll see... stay tuned.
You're one busy fellow!

Long term forecast looks favorable for the days you mentioned. Good Luck!!

You're one busy fellow!

Long term forecast looks favorable for the days you mentioned. Good Luck!!

Thanks! Will advise / Report back if I’m cleared through the Bravo :)

Biggest concern at this point, is that yesterday I flew and I haven’t done a mock oral since Monday. So that’s basically 5 days of time fresh knowledge could start to slip out of my head. All I can do is pick up the red book, the IFR quick reference sheet, and the FAR / AIM and periodically refresh myself till then.

Dang! We can’t control the weather so, it is what it is. Just keep your head in the game and a good attitude. The rest will take care of itself. Have a good week!

Do you have a DPE at your home place? Nothing says you have to stay there to do it, you are already a graduate of the program and that's all the VA needs. Go elsewhere to finish.

We have a few new DPE's in Houston that I think are trying to stay busy. I didn't have a problem scheduling my commercial a few weeks ago. Much different than having to schedule my instrument about a year ago...that took almost 3 months to get scheduled.

Nice weather today.... any progress?

Check ride is Monday. Will let you know. Backup plan is Thursday. Glad you passed Stan! A little worried since I’ve been home and not at it for a few days. Hoping I’ll be good! Everything I’m doing is in a G1000, but no auto-pilot.

Thank you, I appreciate it. It’s a relief for sure! I’m sure you’re prepared, probably over prepared. Don’t get fixated on any one aspect of an approach. Keep your scan going and you’ll be fine.

I'd check my log book. Unless you have ALSO met the part 61 requirements, going for an exam outside your program will require you to meet those requirements.

I'd check my log book. Unless you have ALSO met the part 61 requirements, going for an exam outside your program will require you to meet those requirements.

I’m wellllllll beyond the requirements for Part 61. Not a private who went straight to IFR. I’ve been flying VFR for over 10 years. Past due on IFR. I went 141 just to use up the last of my VA benefits.

As long as you have the graduation certificate from the 141 course you can use any DPE. Not all 141 programs have examining authority and going 141 doesn’t restrict who you can use for your checkride.

Thank you, I appreciate it. It’s a relief for sure! I’m sure you’re prepared, probably over prepared. Don’t get fixated on any one aspect of an approach. Keep your scan going and you’ll be fine.

Hardest checkride of my life, and lots of drama in between... but i passed.

3 hours oral, 2.5 flight. I’m exhausted.

Congrats! Despite all that you went through, you did it! Go home and celebrate with your family.

Hardest checkride of my life, and lots of drama in between... but i passed.

3 hours oral, 2.5 flight. I’m exhausted.

That’s awesome man! I’m proud for ya! I know the feeling, I came home Saturday and passed out! Lol! Enjoy and good luck on your future endeavors.

How did you like AF?

My CFII was awesome. He took care
Of me through thick and thin. The people were all friendly, but they could use some better planes and could have done a bit better on accommodating administration wise on planning and backup plans considering I was an out of towner. But I asked for an accelerated program, and they basically gave it to me the way I wanted it, with a few hiccups.

Will probably get my commercial there in 6 months or so... once I calm my nerves :)

My CFII was awesome. He took care
Of me through thick and thin. The people were all friendly, but they could use some better planes and could have done a bit better on accommodating administration wise on planning and backup plans considering I was an out of towner. But I asked for an accelerated program, and they basically gave it to me the way I wanted it, with a few hiccups.

Will probably get my commercial there in 6 months or so... once I calm my nerves :)

Sweet..yeah I enjoyed them and it was the hardest 10 days of my life but did enjoy it as well. We had one plane hiccup but I got some complex time for fixed gear price.

I'm studying Sheppard air for my commercial as we speak and considered heavily going back there for my commercial.

Sweet..yeah I enjoyed them and it was the hardest 10 days of my life but did enjoy it as well. We had one plane hiccup but I got some complex time for fixed gear price.

I'm studying Sheppard air for my commercial as we speak and considered heavily going back there for my commercial.

I will most likely go back for my commercial. I just need a little time off for good behavior :)

We have a few new DPE's in Houston that I think are trying to stay busy. I didn't have a problem scheduling my commercial a few weeks ago. Much different than having to schedule my instrument about a year ago...that took almost 3 months to get scheduled.

Please PM me with some of those names. I need to get one scheduled in the next few weeks.

Back