Solar Panels for Hangar

colojo

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Colojo
A few of the Port-a-Port T-hangars at Centennial Airport have one or two solar panels mounted on the roof. I'm curious as to what these are used for and how they are set up. I haven't been lucky enough to run into any of those hangar tenants yet to find out. Anyone here have experience adding solar to their hangar? I'd like to use it to power a trickle charger for my RV-8's battery.

Probably a solar battery maintainer. I have one on my tractor.

And maybe a light or two inside the hangar.

Several of my neighbors have them. They use a diode to prevent the solar panel from sucking power out of the battery when the sun is down. I didn't realize the panels would do that. They have been happy with the installation since they added the diode.

We have a small solar panel at the cabin in CO. It charges a bank of golf cart batteries, which then feed an inverter. it powers some lights, and the TV set.

Just be wary of cheap charge controllers. They are junk.
Those made by WindyNation are reasonably priced and reliable in my limited experience with electric fences, gate openers, security lights, etc. No experience with use in Hangar. I get unmetered 110V AC there

Back