Interview with a Millenial

I bet I’ve interacted with more millennial than anyone reading this. They are just like the generation before them and the ones before that. Some of them give me tremendous hope for the future. Some less so. I suspect that’s the way it’s always been, though.

I bet I’ve interacted with more millennial than anyone reading this. They are just like the generation before them and the ones before that. Some of them give me tremendous hope for the future. Some less so. I suspect that’s the way it’s always been, though.
I concur. There’s a lot of deadbeats in my generation and a lot of go-getter’s. Same as any prior generations. I imagine this type of interview is probable for a select few.

LOL. I use none of the "technologies" that she rattled off. I don't even use facebook even though it's supposedly for old people. ha.

They are just like the generation before them and the ones before that. Some of them give me tremendous hope for the future. Some less so. I suspect that’s the way it’s always been, though.
The difference is, today's airheads have a voice (social media) and are getting all the attention. The responsible members (and there are many) of the "Millennial" generation are not so visible, largely drowned out in the noise.

Last edited:
This is a very hurtful thread :frown:. One of the moderators needs to close it down. I thought this was supposed to be a safe-space for all pilots, not just you non-millennials.

At the very least, there we need a trigger warning in the subject line.

I actually agree with her about the morning routine except I don't do the Starbucks foo foo junk. I grind me some "Murdered Out" roast (Black Rifle Coffee dot com) and sip that until 10:45.

We hire quite a few college graduates right out of school. The thing I find is that many of them haven't had a job before, so we hire them and pay $60K or more to someone who has very limited professional skills. Like dressing appropriately, showing up at a reasonable time, not playing on FB during a meeting, etc. Having a job (even at McD's for a couple of months) before starting your career gives you a leg up.

I agree completely.

That said, I have a developer that is spot on like the girl in the attached video but she's 36.
on the GD phone all the time.

When I first started up my lab I put all the phones on the wall away from desks, to discourage errant phone use. Then along cane cell phones.

One of the labs in my graduate institution was completely gutted by fire. In the midst of that fire, which completely destroyed the laboratory, a postdoctoral researcher had to be physically removed from the telephone.

I find it harder to deal with a young lazy person than an older lazy person. I assume the older person has put more into the system, and therefore deserves a little more slack.

I find it harder to deal with a young lazy person than an older lazy person. I assume the older person has put more into the system, and therefore deserves a little more slack.

But if you bust their chops for it, the older one is far more likely to get it.

But if you bust their chops for it, the older one is far more likely to get it.

But the older one is more likely to have a pile of "screw you" money than the younger one.

Cute video, but reality is the candidate should not get to the interview unless they’re highly qualified for the position. Obviously, the candidate wasn’t.

Anyone had the millennial interview with their parent present? That's an interesting scenario.

I interview a lot of folks - generally, and against common perception, younger ones are much less tech/computer literate. They're real good with social media, as stereotyped, but using tech/software to get the job done, much less so. Just not usually real up to speed on back office tools, or nitty-gritty, get-the-job-done apps. Or the credible places to find good information - tend to be slower on digging up good sources, vetting them, synthesizing the info. Writing skills also tend to be less polished. . .

But I don't sweat it too much, since you expect some ramp-up time for less experienced folks - they get up to speed O.K., and you pay them less to start, too: But as a generalization, unless you're hiring them for social-media related work, they frequently lack the depth of tech skills I see in the 30-55 age groups.

I interview a lot of folks - generally, and against common perception, younger ones are much less tech/computer literate. They're real good with social media, as stereotyped, but using tech/software to get the job done, much less so. Just not usually real up to speed on back office tools, or nitty-gritty, get-the-job-done apps. Or the credible places to find good information - tend to be slower on digging up good sources, vetting them, synthesizing the info. Writing skills also tend to be less polished. . .

But I don't sweat it too much, since you expect some ramp-up time for less experienced folks - they get up to speed O.K., and you pay them less to start, too: But as a generalization, unless you're hiring them for social-media related work, they frequently lack the depth of tech skills I see in the 30-55 age groups.
I just recently hired a 23 year old. She is really good at the basics of the job. Driven and motivated to do well. But she has the typical "I'm too good for this job" thing that all millennials seem to have. And she is very tech illiterate.

She's great at building relationships and networking face to face which was a surprise to me. I thought social networking would have destroyed that skill.

And she is faster than my more seasoned folks.

If she can get over the "I'm the next CEO" attitude and develop some problem solving skills she is going to be the best employee I've ever had.

A friend of mine, his son will be starting college next fall. I don't know exactly what his degree will be in, and I doubt he knows at this point. That is not really a problem now.

But he does know that he will not accept his first job for less than 150K a year, and no position less than top management.

Must be nice to be young and full of pee and vinegar...instead of old and just full of pee like me...

I blame that on the death of the PC. You no longer need to learn how a computer works. You can do almost anything with an iPhone or iPad that you used to need an actual computer to do. I wonder if schools and colleges even have "computer labs" anymore or if such a concept has become a historical relic.

A friend of mine, his son will be starting college next fall. I don't know exactly what his degree will be in, and I doubt he knows at this point. That is not really a problem now.

But he does know that he will not accept his first job for less than 150K a year, and no position less than top management.

Must be nice to be young and full of pee and vinegar...instead of old and just full of pee like me...

That bubble is going to burst with such force that the shock wave will knock some sense into him.

I wonder if schools and colleges even have "computer labs" anymore or if such a concept has become a historical relic.
Really? Computer science and engineering programs still exist. They also very much need powerful computers and computer labs to store said computers.

It's literally exactly what you said. Read the rest of my post.

Then you are misinterpreting it. And yes, I read all of your post. Obviously, an engineering program is going to have specialized equipment. I'm talking about labs for general education purposes (but not even a computer science program needs specialized equipment). The topic of discussion was not about a lack of computer skills among engineering graduates.

Second!

What last year's crop of millennials made:

Then there are some better robot applications.
104937322-GettyImages-902788960.530x298.jpg

I was less than enthused with some of the new grads we hired a few years ago. I had to sit through weeks of six sigma training with a class of new hires. Most were on there phones, instant messaging each other and giggling at the instructor. A few paid close attention and several years later it was easy to predict which ones would excel.

This pass spring I attended my nephews graduation from the Naval Academy. I spent the weekend at the Academy and spent a fair amount of time with him and his classmates. I left the graduation believing the future is in good hands.

I think your right. It has always been that way.

I blame that on the death of the PC. You no longer need to learn how a computer works. You can do almost anything with an iPhone or iPad that you used to need an actual computer to do. I wonder if schools and colleges even have "computer labs" anymore or if such a concept has become a historical relic.
I don't think that is true. Ever try to work a spreadsheet or write/edit anything of any length on an iThing?

I don't think that is true. Ever try to work a spreadsheet or write/edit anything of any length on an iThing?

That's not the point. Do you have an alternative hypothesis to explain why millennials have poor computer skills other than the one I proposed (less computer use due to iThings)? Or, do you believe the premise is wrong?

Really? Computer science and engineering programs still exist. They also very much need powerful computers and computer labs to store said computers.
Yeah, but not everyone is a computer science major.

That's not the point. Do you have an alternative hypothesis to explain why millennials have poor computer skills other than the one I proposed (less computer use due to iThings)? Or, do you believe the premise is wrong?
On what do you base your premise that their skills are poor?

I can't imagine getting through college without using a PC frequently. How are you going to write a term paper?

On what do you base your premise that their skills are poor?

My premise? I did not make that premise. I was responding it.

I do not know if it is correct or not. But if it is, I proposed an explanation.

Last edited:

Not sure how you can get through college without those skills. I guess I'm taking all the wrong classes.

Back