Set your VCR for Sunday 14 Jan

cgrab

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
cgrab
Turner Classic Movies (TCM) is showing "Dawn Patrol" at 0500 CST and 12 hours later "Flying Leathernecks" it's going to be a good day to stay in.

I'll set up the U-Matic video system

Trailer for The Dawn Patrol

Trailer for The Flying Leathernecks

Going to be a good flying day,will set the DVR ,and record them,for an IFR day.

Turner Classic Movies (TCM) is showing "Dawn Patrol" at 0500 CST and 12 hours later "Flying Leathernecks" it's going to be a good day to stay in.

You still have a VCR? I had two of them in the nineties. Seems you are a bit behind times.

I saw "Island in the Sky" the other day. It has been a long time since I have seen that one.

Spoiler alert. Andy Devine is shown in a bathing suit.....

Wish they'd run "The Great Waldo Pepper", haven't seen that one in years.

I have Waldo on dvd. It’s decent.

My favorite aviation movies, though, are 12 O’clock High, Command Decision, and Strategic Air Command. I need to pick up the dvd for Spirit of St Louis sometime.

I have the first season of the tv version of 12 O’clock High on dvd. It’s pretty good, but they were budget constrained and it shows.

Like "wiretapping," "VCR" is a generic term. Nobody taps into wires to listen to conversations but it is still a valid and understandable term as is VCR.

I have Waldo on dvd. It’s decent.

My favorite aviation movies, though, are 12 O’clock High, Command Decision, and Strategic Air Command. I need to pick up the dvd for Spirit of St Louis sometime.

I have the first season of the tv version of 12 O’clock High on dvd. It’s pretty good, but they were budget constrained and it shows.

Like all of those too. "Dr Strangelove" a hoot.

Like all of those too. "Dr Strangelove" a hoot.

Yeah, but then I’m a fan of Slim Pickens. Never really thought of that one in terms of the aviation genre, for some reason.

The version of “Dawn Patrol” they’re showing is the remake with David Niven. I’ve never seen the original and I’d like to.

Ever watch “No Highway In the Sky” with Jimmy Stewart? The book is better, but the movie is still pretty good.

Ever watch “No Highway In the Sky” with Jimmy Stewart? The book is better, but the movie is still pretty good.

I think so. Stewart is in so many. Of course he was a Brigadier General in he USAF. Flew in WWII also. Sure you know that though.

Yep. Also flew as an observer in Vietnam and kept it very quiet, avoiding publicity. My favorite actor of all time. Incredibly talented and versatile as an actor, and one helluva man besides.

Nevile Schute wrote the book “No Highway,” the novel before the movie. Worth reading. Excellent engineering fiction. Schute was himself an accomplished aeronautical engineer and also a pilot.

VCR? Wasn't that the box that half the world didn't know how to adjust, to keep it from always flashing 12:00 12:00 12:00 12:00 12:00 12:00 .... ?

I think so. Stewart is in so many. Of course he was a Brigadier General in he USAF. Flew in WWII also. Sure you know that though.
Good read: Mission: Jimmy Stewart and The Fight for Europe

The author’s style is a little funky in places, but the subject matter is riveting. Stewart fiercely avoided publicity during the war, and never talked about his service afterward, so this account is based on military records and the memoirs and recollections of others.

He was so geared to military flying that before the war he bought a Stinson 105, knowing that the type was used by the Army, and figuring that experience in it would give him a leg up. He was a squadron commander in B-24s in England, flew 20 missions. The story of what it did to him emotionally almost sounds like a real-life “Frank Savage” from Twelve O’Clock High. Making the film It’s A Wonderful Life right after the war was a catharsis for him, as well as for Frank Capra.

In all seriousness, set the DVR? It's a lot of effort to push that button so I want to make sure it's worth it first.

You mean DVR? Who uses VCR’s these days? :p

Kids these days...:frown2:

Most of us are flying 30 to 50 year old airplanes. You think we throw out anything? :nonod:

I just speak into the remote control. It will take care of the rest for me....

Jimmy was pretty much the head of the Marketing Branch of the USAF.

The Mystery Science Theater 3000 version of “The Starfighters” is a definite USAF marketing movie not to be missed. Don’t watch the original though, you’ll be asleep in minutes. Just the MST3K one.

Never seen so much aerial refueling footage in my life. Hahaha.

As a kid in Homer City, my mom took me by the hardware store and pointed to a little statue in the window and told me that was Mr. Stewart's son's Oscar.
Pretty neat.

Gawd I remember my first time... uh scratch that. I remember my first VCR, early 80s. That thing was huge (THE VCR!), and had a cord about 20' or so hooked to the "remote". Went crazy and tape all kinds of movies. Yeah, it's long gone.

Last edited:
In the mid 70s, a friend's dad worked for a local TV station and managed to acquire some of their equipment when they did an upgrade. He had what I seem to recall as a U-Matic machine at home, which was very unique in those days. We kids (I was maybe 13 or 14 at the time) used to hang out at his house watching recorded Star Trek episodes and what-not. Coolest thing in our world back then.

I predate even U-matic. Our highschool had real honest to god open real video tape. We convinced the school to let us borrow the camera and the big clunky recorder for some project. We had previous endeared ourselves to the athletic department by hauling the thing up to the roof of the building and taping scrimmages for them.

There was a U-matic deck sitting on the desk in one of my college offices (I was probably the only undergraduate to have several offices on campus). Later I ended up using an Ampex umatic deck as a digital data recorder for some government FLIR projects. I've subsequently had just about all the technologies: VHS, U-Matic, Pioneer Laser Disk (built a neat little mission preplanner for the state department out of one of those), 8mm (probably the slickest of the tape technologies), and mini DV (still have that one around here somewhere). Now everything is just filmed to memory cards either with something like a GOPRO or my Canon DSLR.

Oh, yes, but if I were to record these I'd use the Hopper3 DVR downstairs.

I gave it fifteen minutes. I felt like I was watching Flyboys again.

I ended up watching MST3000 showing of "Starfighters".

I did not know there was so much stock footage of F-104s refueling still left in the world....

And of course the strategic shots of napalm on desert floor.....

Back