Is it time for prop oeverhaul ?

blueskyMD

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Bigfoot297
I have 3 bladed Hartzell props in Lance installed new in year 2000 and its nearing 2000 hrs ,1953 to be exact. When I overhauled the engine back in 2008 , I did not OH props. Since then I have flown 1200 hours with almost no trouble with props. There has been 2-3 small nicks over the years which required slight grinding. The props are running smooth and I get compliments from other pilot owners riding in my plane about how smooth the plane sounds. Hartzell recommends OH at 12 years or 2400 hours whatever comes first. My mechanics answer was diplomatic like " you don't have to do this but it will improve safety ". Apart from cost I am also worried about new headaches when you try to fix things that are not broken. Please share your thoughts

I wouldn't O/H them unless they gave me a reason to. It sounds like your's haven't supplied a reason. My thoughts are: a) don't fix things that aren't broke b) don't spend money you don't need to as airplanes will always supply needed reasons to spend money.

Rebalance sure

OH, meh...

btw OP, you mentioned 3-blade. What kind of cruise are you getting at whatever power setting you run at? Just wondering what kind of drag penalty you're seeing with the extra blade.

You have more than one prop on your Lance? :eek:
How very fortunate. ;)

As long as they are being maintained/serviced per the manual (greasing hubs in particular) and there's no signs of distress such as a seal failing, don't try to "fix" them.

btw OP, you mentioned 3-blade. What kind of cruise are you getting at whatever power setting you run at? Just wondering what kind of drag penalty you're seeing with the extra blade.

I normally run my engine at a lower power setting about 60-65% and I get about 148 KTS. Every now and then I cruise at 75% power with mixture just above the peak and I see 158-160 KTS .
I never had 2 bladed prop in my this plane or Arrow I flew before Lance so I have nothing to compare with. so its hard to tell how much drag penalty I am getting but I don't really care . I like the looks of 3 bladed machine

Whatever you do, DO NOT HAVE IT OVERHAULED BY HARTZELL. Hartzell has a bad habit of suddenly finding perfectly good blades "unairworthy" and then defaces them to justify their conclusion.

Different plane, similar engine and prop, but in my io520 powered 3 blade 185, the only differences listed for the 3 vs 2 blade are related to take off and climb, cruise does not mention any differences.

Mike Busch and I agree on one thing. Overhaul on condition, not time.If your engine or prop is past recommended TBO and still going strong under Part 91 there is no reason to do anything.

Mike Busch and I agree on one thing. Overhaul on condition, not time.If your engine or prop is past recommended TBO and still going strong under Part 91 there is no reason to do anything.
I don’t disagree with the concept but I have always wondered how anyone can look at a prop from the outside and know what the condition is inside the hub.

I don’t disagree with the concept but I have always wondered how anyone can look at a prop from the outside and know what the condition is inside the hub.

Blown seals with grease steaks, performance and overall preflight condition says much more for a prop than a engine.

I'd be more likely to IRAN shy of wanting to upgrade to a different prop.

Blown seals with grease steaks, performance and overall preflight condition says much more for a prop than a engine.

I'd be more likely to IRAN shy of wanting to upgrade to a different prop.
Well yes but the thing is I have seen more than a few props not have any of those issues and lots of problems were found on an IRAN.
For me if it’s a prop I have known since the last time it was opened up the I wait for a reason. If it’s new to me and is 50% or more past manufacturers recommended intervals I want to have it looked at.
Not saying I’m right and anyone else is wrong. Just how I like to manage prop mx

Back