Confession is good for the soul...

I thought spot-landing contests, attempting to cut rolls of toilet paper thrown out the window and flour bag bombing were tests of skill performed in front of your peers for fun? Times have changed...

Last edited:
3Ps, the IMSAFE, and the other 5 or so acronymous checklists in the FAA Risk Management Handbook. The thing is, it's not just a matter of assessing risk. This is an example of where the theory of ADM is weak. My problem with ADM is that, as presently taught, it assumes a certain action is already intended and works to either support or disprove that intent in the context of risk. A better approach, if you ask me, involves prudence, which allows us to consider the mere necessity of an action before we even intend to perform it. If we disprove the need with sound reason, we eliminate the intent altogether.

I joked around with an examiner on one of my past check rides that if I find myself running through a checklist if I am safe to fly in the first place then I'd probably stop there and go back to the couch and find a game to watch. We figured it was the FAAs best try to give common sense to those who lack it, OP recognized what they did wasn't good and corrected it. I've screwed up doing non airplane stuff before and learned from it. I bet nobody else on here will cough up to doing something stupid, or to knowing how fast fuel siphons from a wing in flight. We're all pro keyboard pilots on here with a perfect batting average.

Back