New to flying

SVN

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
SVN
Hey guys,
My name is Adam, I’m from Orlando.
I’m really happy I found this forum where I can find passionate people about aviation.
I’m thinking about starting my private licence soon. My ultimate goal is to become an Airline pilot.
Any suggestions for good and reasonably priced schools close to Orlando? Is there any cheaper alternative? Anyone from Orlando or Central Florida?

I fly out of Orlando Executive. I belong to Orlando Aviators flying club which is pretty reasonable. If you've got the money and time one of the 141 flight schools who specialize in turning out airline plates might be more time efficient than the club.

Oh, and welcome!
John

I fly out of Orlando Executive. I belong to Orlando Aviators flying club which is pretty reasonable. If you've got the money and time one of the 141 flight schools who specialize in turning out airline plates might be more time efficient than the club.

Oh, and welcome!
John
I totally agree with you jsstevens. I want to get my private first and then go from there.

Howdy! Welcome. SVN, damn, almost thought SRV was back! RIP.

Last edited:
SunState Aviation out of Kissimmee has a well organized program and well maintained fleet of planes

Welcome to the board and to the journey.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Thank you guys

I trained with First Landings in Apopka and now rent from them. Good operation with several planes and instructors.

I hope you have deep pockets!

Welcome!

I'm a central florida guy too, welcome to flying! i have my own bird and have been out of the flight training loop for some time so can't help with any places around Orlando but best of luck and welcome to the club!

I trained with First Landings in Apopka and now rent from them. Good operation with several planes and instructors.
That’s probably a cheap way to go even for PPL with those cheaper to rent light sports. They have full CFIs on staff?

That’s probably a cheap way to go even for PPL with those cheaper to rent light sports. They have full CFIs on staff?

Yes, they do. I have enough hours with full CFIs to satisfy my Rec or PP requirements if I ever decide to upgrade.

run... run while you still have a chance to get away!

Just kidding... You're lucky to be young and enthusiastic about an airline job... The industry is starving for pilots right now and there appears to be some very attractive offers out there for qualified people... Good Luck!

And welcome to POA!

Hi Adam and welcome,
Take yourself off to check out Bartow KBOW,
Bartow Flying Service, great bunch of people, nice airplanes, highly respected CFI's and reasonable charges.

In fact I think they are doing an offer on Discovery Flights right now for about $75

Did we scare him off?

BTW, Xscalber - I see you’re in Wtr Hvn. I’m your next door neighbor, over in Haines City. Are you flying out of KBOW? Thought you’d be using KGIF. Of course, I have to drive all the way to Apopka to find an LSA to rent.

Welcome - quit thinking, start doing! In a year, you'll be wondering what you did before this, that is how awesome it is.

Welcome aboard. I picked the flight school nearest to the airport entrance lol.

Try to get a discovery flight with an instructor that has the availability you need. There's nothing wrong with scheduling discovery flights at a couple different schools and feeling them out.

Wow! There's a lot of central Floridians on here/ We should have a fly in meet up.

We tried one a few years ago at KDED and only two of us showed up.

Suggestions?

Wow! There's a lot of central Floridians on here/ We should have a fly in meet up.

Suggestions?

Agreed! But in the near term,...

Anyone going to be at the Sport Expo in Sebring next week? I'm planning to drive down on Saturday; not sure yet if I'll go Friday or not. If any of you other Floridians will be there, let's try to connect and grab a cup of coffee or something.

Suggestions?
KCDK seems like a natural. Love the food there and the old '57 Chevy (or whatever it was) taxi.

Suggestions?

We used to live in Orlando, about a mile or so from KORL. My mom and dad are in Clermont. I’m in Miami now and I’m only starting on my PPL, but hopefully by next winter I will be very game for a CFL fly-in!

Hello All,

I am also new here, and also in Central FL. I have been snooping around trying to find the best flight school that works for me. I live a few miles from the Apopka airport, and have checked out the operation there. This week I hope to check out Fly Smart in Kissimmee, I don't mind the drive if the school is right for me. Looking forward to chatting with you all as I begin this new adventure.

Of course it is because we're all so awesome! ;):)

I have been snooping around the boards for a few weeks now, and I love it. I started flying when I was 15, soloed when I was 16 in 1994, but I never did finish. I HAD 44 hours, my solo cross countries done, but never did my check ride, I was 18 and ran out of funds and then moved from Southern Ca to Seattle and never flew again. To make it sting even more I lost my log book somewhere in my travels over the last 20 years, so I will be starting from scratch, but that is ok with me.

Welcome, Skyking! I finished up my Sport Pilot ticket at Apopka a few months ago. They did a fine job, but kept losing instructors for airline jobs. I went through 4. Otherwise I was pleased with the training and the way I was treated. I’m still renting from them.

I have been snooping around the boards for a few weeks now, and I love it. I started flying when I was 15, soloed when I was 16 in 1994, but I never did finish. I HAD 44 hours, my solo cross countries done, but never did my check ride, I was 18 and ran out of funds and then moved from Southern Ca to Seattle and never flew again. To make it sting even more I lost my log book somewhere in my travels over the last 20 years, so I will be starting from scratch, but that is ok with me.

Man that's tough deal to lose all that time. To be honest, it'll probably take you that much time anyway since it's been so long. I had about a year layoff after I had 30 some hours, and just about had to fly that same amount before I got my PPC. Wish there were a way to retrieve all those hours. Possibility where you trained may have receipts or records of your hours, doubtful though after all this time.

Man that's tough deal to lose all that time. To be honest, it'll probably take you that much time anyway since it's been so long. I had about a year layoff after I had 30 some hours, and just about had to fly that same amount before I got my PPC. Wish there were a way to retrieve all those hours. Possibility where you trained may have receipts or records of your hours, doubtful though after all this time.

I am still friends with my old CFI from CA who is now a Captain at United mainline. What does that tell you? He has so many log books he doesn't know where to look, but like you said it won't matter I don't think. In order for me to be proficient I will need to redo all those hours anyways, but just for nostalgia I wish it would turn up.

I am still friends with my old CFI from CA who is now a Captain at United mainline. What does that tell you? He has so many log books he doesn't know where to look, but like you said it won't matter I don't think. In order for me to be proficient I will need to redo all those hours anyways, but just for nostalgia I wish it would turn up.

Well there you go! It shouldn't be difficult for him to find the flights he did with you. Maybe he could start a new logbook for you and write those flights in it, certify it as replacing the lost one with a simple statement, and boom, you have those back. I would certainly try. I have quite a few logbooks too but I can easily find certain flights, and I even know where those logbooks are.

Last edited:
There's a difference in redoing them because of proficiency and redoing them because of the reg. If (and its a big one) you end up checkride ready at 30 hours wouldn't you be kicking yourself for not having the original time? What about wanting to do CPL flying when you have 200 new hours instead of 250? and so on but you get the point. They're your hours, you paid for them make sure they're in the book or you have to pay for them again.

If you really have 44 hours ($8000) in your old CFIs logbook its worth a few bottles of scotch to get em back

Last edited:

That sucks about the logbook. It almost happened to me but I found it. Just hang in there. It took me 'only' 23 years to get my private. :eek:

Back