Live Streamed Mock Checkride

write-stuff

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
write-stuff
If a Private Pilot checkride is in your future, you will probably want to watch this:

A mock check ride will be streamed simultaneously on Facebook and YouTube featuring a >real< pilot applicant. Filling the role of Examiner will be the AOPA 2015 Flight Instructor of the Year, Todd Shellnutt. For those of you prepping for your first practical test this will be a fantastic opportunity to see exactly what you can expect. Time permitting, we'll be taking viewer questions at the end.

You can join the program on either the Gold Seal Facebook page or YouTube channel. Or, you can go to this standalone page:

www.GoldSealGroundSchool.com/LIVE

NEW Date: Thursday, January 23, 2018 ◄◄◄
Time: 8:00pm Eastern

upload_2018-1-23_16-22-52.png

Last edited:
Awesome. My checkride will be in the somewhat near future so I will tune in and take a few notes.

I let the Chief Instructor know at the flight school Russ, and I'll be there (flight school) w/ a student of mine watching in the FBO conference room. Thanks again to both of you for putting this on.

Excellent, guys. Looking forward to seeing you. It's going to be fun.

All the downloads are now on the page. If you're attending tonight, you might want to take a look and see if you need to print any of them out. These are the same docs that the applicant and examiner will be using.

Russ, great idea. I have a few student pilot friends who would benefit from watching this. Thank you for putting effort into such good videos.
Unfortunately, we are doing my annual tonight so none of us will be able to watch the live stream.
Will this be available on YouTube for later viewing pleasure?

Yes sir, Lou! You'll find the archived video on either our YouTube channel or Facebook page.

Russ, does Eric, The Applican, know what he's in for in front of all us "experts"? ;)

Yep, he knows. His real checkride is next week so this will be a great opportunity to get a peek into his future. We'll try to take some questions after his oral is over, but he won't be aware of the viewer comments during the exam.

During the exam, I'm going to try to hop into the comments section so that I can join in the fun.

Looks like a power surge took out the hardware & they've postponed until January 23rd. So if you thought you missed it here's your chance.

Yeah we had it up on the big screen in the conference room, and around 8' prior they said no go. Did GS instead so it's all good. Sorry Russ, I know you were looking forward to it, not your fault. But y'all do need to pay your power bill. ;)

My apologies to everyone. We've done quite a few of these live streams, but last night, about 3 hours before the broadcast, we had a catastrophic hardware failure. I'm sorry if you were disappointed - we were, too.

We have this rescheduled for Tuesday, January 23 so I hope you'll join us then. - Russ

Already planning to watch Tuesday Russ. Gives me a few more days to get the word out too. Appreciate it!

I am going to live stream this live stream while I fly along and practice the maneuvers along with the student in the original live stream.

I am going to live stream this live stream while I fly along and practice the maneuvers along with the student in the original live stream.

Lol, I think it's just the oral portion Bryan. Guess you could still fly and answer the DPE's questions though.

Lol, I think it's just the oral portion Bryan. Guess you could still fly and answer the DPE's questions though.

Really? Bummer. I thought we’d be seeing the whole ride.

I’m still tuning in. Thanks to those putting it on.

This makes a whole lot more sense.

I was wondering how they were going to stream it and maintain a connection from a flying aircraft.
I will still be watching.

Really? Bummer. I thought we’d be seeing the whole ride.

I’m still tuning in. Thanks to those putting it on.

I was wondering how they were going to stream it and maintain a connection from a flying aircraft.

Click on the OP's link and there are other links they'll be using if you wanna get really into it.

Actually, we do have an in-air broadcast system and have already done a number of multi-camera streams from the airplanes.

Ok, we're just about 3 hours away from the mock checkride Live Stream. The applicant is Steve Lee. All the documents are there as downloads to help you follow along.

www.GoldSealGroundSchool.com/LIVE
Sweet, thank you for the reminder. Myself and my student pilots friends are actually free tonight and can watch for sure.

Btw, poor Steve Lee. You say he knows he's being watched but does he have any clue that you are letting PoA watch and critique? PoA being one of the most brutal and arrogant pilot websites out there? :D
Also, you mentioned Steve's real checkride was scheduled for one week after the original mock checkride. Did y'all postpone that too or did he take it? (and did he pass?)

Thank you for the opportunity to let us watch pretty much a horror show that reminds us what we looked like during our first checkride. :)
But as long as it helps students prepare for their checkride, it is not in vain. ;)

Nah, the previous candidate was Eric. He did his real checkride yesterday (I think). Steve is the "new" guy and he knows the world will be watching.

Y'all have fun. - Russ

We're gonna blow up your internetz, brah.

We'll be watching on the 60" with a twelve pack.

To heck with Superbowl LII, we get to mock a mock ride!

Who's got the bacon wrapped olives and deviled eggs?

I was wondering why you were headed toward your airplane from the FBO playing out that really, REALLY long bundle of Cat5 cable.

hopefully this recording goes better than pflemmings.

Russ, just make sure both parties check their zippers

I really liked the mock checkride. There was a lot of good information on what we can expect. Thanks

Excellent! Poor guy was nervous, felt for him but he pulled it out. I enjoyed it because the questions were scenario based vs a question/answer oral, which were the way it was done under PTS. Starting back in instructing after many years so now I see how it's played, helped a lot. Gave me some great ideas to quiz my students on in preparation for the oral. Todd is the man with his comment about sectional charts and the information on them. Thanks Steve (applicant), Todd, and Russ for putting this on.

Last edited:
Will the mock checkride be posted on your youtube page?

This might not be the suggestion box... but here I go.

Can you do one where the Checker does no commentary or discussion of the ACS... just straight up examination... and then follow it with the commentary, result, and that stuff?

We all know the examiner has a checklist but they don't need to check it order, they need to be satisfied the box can be checked. Sometimes the dialog checks multiple boxes.

Also, there was no follow up on how the student can improve. Personally I think he talked too much a couple times. Short answers are better. Long answers that misstate something not on point lead to more questions.

Overall, thanks for sharing.

[Note: I watched it with a solo student to allay some fear of the unknown]

This might not be the suggestion box... but here I go.

Can you do one where the Checker does no commentary or discussion of the ACS... just straight up examination... and then follow it with the commentary, result, and that stuff?

We all know the examiner has a checklist but they don't need to check it order, they need to be satisfied the box can be checked. Sometimes the dialog checks multiple boxes.

Also, there was no follow up on how the student can improve. Personally I think he talked too much a couple times. Short answers are better. Long answers that misstate something not on point lead to more questions.

Overall, thanks for sharing.

[Note: I watched it with a solo student to allay some fear of the unknown]

They apparently only had an hour Rob. Myself I could have watched another hour. I also would have liked a brief on follow up, and hints from Todd for orals. The student was nervous, even though it was practice, but I'm sure that's how many applicants respond. I saw it at the airline during our orals. Simple answers, you expand on an answer and the examiner is gonna enjoy asking you more.

Russ, I agree with others, a more-official mock ride sounds like a good next step. As if the person was a real DPE giving a real oral examination with a real checklist and no mention of training or mock test. Make it as real as possible. (of course while the applicant knows it is just a rehearsal)

Given the audience, I think Steve did fine. I was probably more nervous on my private checkride with a single person in the room than Steve was with millions watching. :)

Let us know when the next one will be! And thank you.

Good stuff last night Russ and kudos to Steve he did a really good job. I agree with others on extending I would have stayed for at least another hour. I would have also liked to see more feedback. One question I do have is both of my instructors have taught me to include Top of Climb and Top of Descent on my nav log, I didn't see that last night and would have liked the examiners thoughts on that. Great job would like to see more!

Back