It was a good day.

Sierra Echo

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Sierra Echo
A couple of months ago, my wife had met a gentleman on a commercial flight who is a GA pilot, and she told him about my lifelong interest in earning my PPL. He offered to take me up on a flight and to introduce me to his flying club, where I could get access to planes at a good rate, and a quality CFI to teach me. Today we finally made the connection.

We met at TMB (Miami Executive) and he showed me the ropes of the club procedures. He showed me around the pre-flight procedures, and we boarded the C172. He got us in the air, and then handed the controls over to me.

We flew east over the water, then south down next to the Ocean Reef Club. I flew us over the Card Sound Bridge and then over the bridge on US 1 that crosses into Key Largo. Then we went up over the Everglades for a bit before turning back east for a straight-in landing back at TMB (rwy 9R). I lined up the approach, and then at 5 miles out he took the controls back for final.

When we got back to the club (after 1.1 hours flight time), it just happened that the club president was there, as well as the lead CFI. I was introduced to them both, spent time discussing club membership and next steps, and departed with a de-facto invitation to join, with a CFI to teach me. I just need to get my medical taken care of, and I’m good to go.

Two days ago I wasn’t sure whether any of this was going to work. This evening I’m on cloud 9. Amazing how the world works. Many thanks to those who are helping me - I can’t wait to continue this experience!

Here's our flight:
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N61733/history/20180111/1832Z/KTMB/KTMB

-se

Thanks for the PIREP, Pilot!
Glad to hear

Great write up ,good luck in your endeavors.

Congrats, the first hit is free.

Consult with an AME and discuss your health history.

EDIT: Hmm, phone truncated part of my post.

Consult with an AME about your medical history BEFORE you start filling in MedExpress. There are many pitfalls, and wording things just right is highly important.

Last edited:
Awesome..!!!! But before you can get your head in the clouds, you need to get your nose in the books....:lol::lol:

Congrats. Before u fill up the form and walk into AMEs office, stop, don't and read all the thread in the medical topic about this. Do a consult first and find out if u have any grousing issues before filling up any form, anywhere

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Cool. Put me on the list of spending a few bucks on getting a 'consultation' physical with an AME before applying for the medical. The guys at the club could probably give you a recommendation

Thanks all for the kind words! For those of you stressing the medical requirement, I am absolutely taking your advice. I’ve been lurking on the board for a bit and picked up on the situation early on. I’ve had an email exchange with Dr. Chien and have some local referrals as well, including an AME who is a member of the club. So hopefully I’ll be able to get it worked out expeditiously.

Here’s a photo from my flight. Thanks again for the support!!!

B2BB3466-59A6-4747-8C5C-E619E2C0F550.jpeg

Heh. I’ve seen that smile before. The one that’s really hard to wipe off.

Back