Gave another new controller a ride

Timbeck2

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Timbeck2
...as I do for every newly rated controller that asks for it just to give them the "other side" of how things work in all things air traffic related. This kid says he wants to learn to fly, is motivated enough and is not yet 20. After I asked what he thought about our two hour flight, he said "that was better than I expected. Better than anything I've ever done."

Apparently, the kid has never been laid. ;)

Last edited:
Why, just because he liked flying better? :eek:;)

Good for you Tim doing that. I did it for a few when I was in.

Controller, not 20? Wow! Good on ya btw!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, that is pretty young. But then, the military has had young folks doing amazing things for a long time.

Controller - not a watch supervisor. They are still in positions to be over-ridden by someone else. Getting a tower rating is like getting your private pilot certificate, its a license to learn.

Side note: I probably greased in one of my all time best landings with this kid in the right seat. I waited and waited and he said nothing. I asked him if this was his first flight in a small plane and he said yes. I then asked him why he didn't have a comment on the landing which was barely perceptible. His answer:

I just thought all of your landings were that way.

:)

Really good of you to do that. I need to get a tower tour sometime soon to see how the other half lives.

I really enjoy it, plus I like flying with someone else rather than alone. I only take up those who ask and I let them fly from cruise to about 3 mile final. Today's flight was two hours exactly. We even had to dodge a few clouds this morning and he did fine. Had two moments of light bulb above the head when they gave us traffic we never saw and when ground control forgot about us when a commercial airline distracted her.

I know her - used to work with her about 20 years ago...sounds like she hasn't changed much. ;)

Take her for a flight and arrange for ground to "forget" about you for a while with her in the plane.

<--- recognizes the save attempt and appreciates same.

He's in the military, so he's been weighed for sure. Poor kid takes a lot of crap from the other controllers though. Although he's never been outside the states and neither have his parents, his ancestors are from Syria. His middle name is Simir (which he hates) so people have given him the nickname of terrorist or sleeper cell or similar monikers. He takes it all in stride and is pretty unflappable. Plus his grandmother makes some of the best baklava you've ever tasted.

Controller - not a watch supervisor. They are still in positions to be over-ridden by someone else. Getting a tower rating is like getting your private pilot certificate, its a license to learn.

Side note: I probably greased in one of my all time best landings with this kid in the right seat. I waited and waited and he said nothing. I asked him if this was his first flight in a small plane and he said yes. I then asked him why he didn't have a comment on the landing which was barely perceptible. His answer:

I just thought all of your landings were that way.

:)

So the reason he said that was because you hadn't officially signed him off, right? :D

That's awesome, I know controllers sometimes do fam flights, i would love to have one in my jumpseat one day, I think it would be great to share the other side with them, and for me to bother them with questions!

So the reason he said that was because you hadn't officially signed him off, right? :D

No, I wasn't the one who signed him off. We have two CTO examiners, one on each crew and if the trainee was on your crew then the other one is used to certify the trainee.

No, I wasn't the one who signed him off. We have two CTO examiners, one on each crew and if the trainee was on your crew then the other one is used to certify the trainee.

I was just kiddin' Tim! ;)

...as I do for every newly rated controller that asks for it just to give them the "other side" of how things work in all things air traffic related. This kid says he wants to learn to fly, is motivated enough and is not yet 20. After I asked what he thought about our two hour flight, he said "that was better than I expected. Better than anything I've ever done."

Apparently, the kid has never been laid. ;)
Ya know, for the price of a coupla hours worth of gas................

Yeah, that is pretty young. But then, the military has had young folks doing amazing things for a long time.
As @Timbeck2 mentioned, in the AF when you certify you still have a watch supervisor that can over-key you. It's essentially certification based on general supervision.

In the FAA a supervisor over-keying you on the frequency would NEVER EVER happen. When you get certified you are on your own.

Nice job Tim!

Back