MedXPress 8500-8 disclosures - second issuance

FWTxPilot

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Stephen McGilvray
I am up for renewal of my third class medical for the first time since getting my license. At the first issuance in 2013, I disclosed a hospitalization for a back surgery, which is now more than 13 years old. It did prevent me from getting my medical from the doc immediately, but ultimately OKC mailed my cert within a week or so with no additional information needed.

My question is do I need to disclose all the information again in part 1 of the medical history section, or only items that have occurred since my last issuance? Additionally, if I disclosed a non-traffic misdemeanor conviction on my original application, do I have to include that explanation again as well?

Thanks,
Stephen

I am up for renewal of my third class medical for the first time since getting my license. At the first issuance in 2013, I disclosed a hospitalization for a back surgery, which is now more than 13 years old. It did prevent me from getting my medical from the doc immediately, but ultimately OKC mailed my cert within a week or so with no additional information needed.

My question is do I need to disclose all the information again in part 1 of the medical history section, or only items that have occurred since my last issuance? Additionally, if I disclosed a non-traffic misdemeanor conviction on my original application, do I have to include that explanation again as well?

Thanks,
Stephen
Hi.
My understanding is that you should, and note it a previously disclosed.

Keep in mind the lead in paragraph for question 18 says "Have you ever in your life..." (my emphasis)

So you'll need to check yes for the appropriate item.

But in the detail part of the form where explain your yes answers, just do a short summary of why your checked yes, and add "Previously Reported, No Change". And as Stan said, the AME marks in his page that the details are already in your file.

After spending some time trying to find this information on google, I was unsuccessful. It's been a while since I have logged in here on POA, but I knew you guys would have an answer. Thank you!

Just out of curiosity, why are you pursuing re-issuance of a third class medical vs going with basicmed? Not trying to advocate one way or the other, just looking for data to add to the pros vs cons of basicmed. Thanks!

The link posted above appears to be instructions for the medical examiner. The instructions for the applicant are accessed by selecting "User Guide" in the Help menu of MedXpress. I downloaded it a few minutes ago, but the file size is larger than allowed for attachments here, so I am attaching Appendix A, which covers what to enter in the form. The "PREVIOUSLY REPORTED, NO CHANGE" instruction is in section 18.

Attachments

• MedXPressUsersGuide Appendix A.pdf
    72.9 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:
Yep; "Previously reported, no change" makes more sense. Then the AME can make his "Already exists in patient file" comment.

Just out of curiosity, why are you pursuing re-issuance of a third class medical vs going with basicmed? Not trying to advocate one way or the other, just looking for data to add to the pros vs cons of basicmed. Thanks!

I figured I would get this question. I am not that familiar with basicmed as it pertains to commercial pilots, but I guess my thought is if I ever want or need to get a class I or II medical it would be wise to maintain my current class III.

The link posted above appears to be instructions for the medical examiner. The instructions for the applicant are accessed by selecting "User Guide" in the Help menu of MedXpress. I downloaded it a few minutes ago, but the file size is larger than allowed for attachments here, so I am attaching Appendix A, which covers what to enter in the form. The "PREVIOUSLY REPORTED, NO CHANGE" instruction is in section 18.

Thanks. I haven’t had a chance to review the file yet. Your post might have just saved me some time.

I figured I would get this question. I am not that familiar with basicmed as it pertains to commercial pilots, but I guess my thought is if I ever want or need to get a class I or II medical it would be wise to maintain my current class III.
Commercial pilots whose only medical qualification is BasicMed are not allowed to exercise commercial pilot privileges, only private pilot privileges.

Commercial pilots whose only medical qualification is BasicMed are not allowed to exercise commercial pilot privileges, only private pilot privileges.

That's what I thought. I do not have a commercial rating yet, but I am working on it. I could probably certify under BasicMed until I actually get the rating, but I am young and relatively healthy, so I figure why not just maintain the class III.

If by young you mean less than 40, then another third class definitely makes more sense. If you are under 40, you might as well get the second class now and then you’re ready for that job when you get your commercial rating and if you don’t end up excercising commercial privileges then you’re still good for another four years...

I have three or four PRNCs. Every once and a while I have to switch AMEs (they keep retiring or dying or some thing) and occasionally, I have to explain one to the new AME but usually not.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back