Every airport I've landed at least once...

Mine on MyFlightBook is funny. Over the years there have been changes to airport designators. A lot was the result of the growth of AWOS, but there have also been old designators taken up by new airports. The result is, the 182 airports on the map shows airports I have never been to.

We won't mention where some typos have shown me :D
ICAO identifiers vs. three-letter IATA/FAA identifiers can help with that.

Thanks for the info that MyFlightBook can generate a map with visited airports rendered. Does anyone know if MyFlightBook or ForeFlight can also plot the flight paths (like others have shown above?) MyFlightBook does calculate total distance flown so I imagine it's already doing much of the computation for this.

View attachment 59132
Yes. If a flight has telemetry with flight path data, it uses that; otherwise, it uses great-circle point-to-point connect-the-dots.

Thanks Jeff, much appreciated.
MyFlightBook will show straight lines connecting the airports listed in your flights, even if you flew circuitous routes between those points for terrain, weather, etc.

Under the "Airports" tab select "Visited Airports", then click "View in Google Earth." That creates a KML file that will open in Google Earth like this:

View attachment 59135
It will actually use the circuitous routes if you've attached a telemetry file (GPX, KML, CSV, a few other formats) to the flight; otherwise, it uses point-to-point airports as a fallback.

Yes, on purpose, Nope, not lost. It's one of the best trips I've ever done. Lots of old Nubian ruins, friendly people and great scenery. The view from one of our camp sites:

Sudan.jpg
I think I can make out Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru's place in the distance.

ICAO identifiers vs. three-letter IATA/FAA identifiers can help with that.
It's fun having a map that thinks I've flown to China (the typos). On the others? I wouldn't be changing a pen-and-paper log to update it to a changed identifier, so why an electronic one?

It's fun having a map that thinks I've flown to China (the typos). On the others? I wouldn't be changing a pen-and-paper log to update it to a changed identifier, so why an electronic one?
Yeah, that's why I keep 'em around. I'm not a flight planner - nobody should (I hope!) be flying by or filing flight plans based on MyFlightbook! I keep old identifiers around as long as possible, long after an airport has closed.

But note that three-letter codes are a world of their own: if you type xyz as a three letter code, and xyz is not a direct hit but kxyz is, then I map it to kxyz. Likewise, if you type kxyz and it's not in the database but xyz is, I use kxyz. That's because a lot of people assume that all use airports can use "K" + the FAA three-letter code, but that's often not true. E.g., Maui is PHOG (ICAO) or OGG (FAA/IATA), and near me Vashon airport (2S1) has no ICAO code. So you might type "xyz" using the local FAA identifier, but the local airport is in the database as Kxyz but there's an airport in China with the IATA code xyz; in that case, I map to the Chinese airport code.

Back