Burned Valves - 414 Grounded

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
Unfortunately in the past few months I've gone from having had no burned valves in nearly 3,000 hours of flying (which amounts to over 5,000 hours of engine time in the air since most of that was in twins) to having a bunch of burned valves in a short period of time. Yesterday I did a borescope and compression check on the left engine of the 414 and found three burned valves. This follows the first burned valve that I had in November, which was discovered following my first trip to St. Croix (35 hours in 3.5 days).

First let me discuss what I observed, and what I think the root cause is (which I'm sure will cause some level of disagreement). At annual keep in mind that all of my cylinders had compressions that were better than 60/80, and the borescopes looked great - burned pizza look on the exhaust valves, perfectly symmetrical. The plane had flown approximately 50 hours since annual.

Before I went to St. Croix I had new mags and harnesses put on the 414. I was concerned with the possibility of a mag or harness issue. I've had many mags fail on me in the past, and these mags were old. The nylon gear in the Bendix mag will, without warning, shear a bunch of teeth off of it, rendering the mag useless. The last thing I wanted was to have a mag failure somewhere during the 1,000 miles between Florida and St. Croix, with diversion options all international. So, I had the shop replace the magnetos. Normally, I check timing as I've had bad luck with shops getting timing incorrect. Unfortunately virtually every shop I've come across gets timing wrong. I had loaned out my tools so I couldn't get it done before the trip. But the engines ran smoothly and the plane flew.

As we flew, the first thing I noticed was the EGTs were about 100 degrees higher than normal. Typically I see EGTs in the range of 1550F on the engine monitor. They were up at 1650F for the same power settings. The plane was also noticeably slower.

Over the course of the trip, I did observe the EGT on the #4 cylinder going a bit higher, and also wandering around. Keep in mind, I flew 35 hours in 3.5 days so I was very in tune with what the EGTs on each cylinder were doing (not much else to do during those long trips). If I flew shorter, more "normal" flights, then this probably would've been harder to detect without downloading data from the engine monitor. On the last leg coming home from St. Croix, I observed during the hot start that one cylinder didn't seem to give the starter much resistance. And upon landing back home in Kansas City, the idle was very rough on the left engine with a lower EGT on the #4 cylinder, although it smoothed out by around 1300 RPM.

I called the shop the next morning and told them "Pull the plane in, check the left engine. I'll bet you the #4 valve is burned." 0/80 compression on that cylinder. I told them to also borescope the rest of the cylinders and do compressions to make sure that I didn't need to ground the plane completely at that point. Cylinders 5 and 6 were showing noticeably lower compression than 1, 2, and 3. 5/6 were in the 55/80 range (still legal) with some leakage around the valve. 1, 2, and 3 at that point were still showing 65/80 or better with no indications of issues. They replaced the #4 cylinder in time for me to do my next trip, and I expected that 5/6 might need to get done at some point.

Now comes the more interesting part. I had my ignition timing tools back and checked the timing. Timing on the TSIO-520-NB is spec'd at 20 degrees BTDC. I found the left engine set to 15 degrees BTDC, and the right engine set to 17. I was not happy about this and reset the timing to spec. My EGTs were back in the 1550 range and my airspeeds were back to normal. With the new cylinder, things were running well, idle was back to being smooth. With a burned valve, this makes sense. The valve seats poorly and thus at low cylinder pressures (low idle) too much air bleeds out and you have a dead cylinder. Once you get the cylinder pressures up a bit more, the cylinder fires and runs. At power, it will seal well enough that you won't notice a power loss.

32 hours of flying later, I was having a rough idle on the left engine again, although I wasn't seeing signs during cranking of a cylinder that seemed dead to rights. I decided before the next transport I needed to do a borescope and compression check to make sure that things still looked good. Yesterday I did that transport ahead of my upcoming transport from Houston to SoCal this weekend. I found the following:

- Very obviously burned valves on cylinders 3, 5, and 6 with the other 3 cylinders looking fine. #4 cylinder looked the best (as you'd expect, being brand new) with a beautiful burned pizza pattern.

- Corresponding compressions of between 10/80 and 15/80 on the three cylinders with burned valves, all leaking out the valve.

A few things to note for everyone:

1) There are lots of ways to detect a burned valve if you listen to your engines. Listening is both physical (as I noticed from watching my engines crank over during a hot start and also the poor idle). Don't ignore these warning signs - it means there's a problem

2) You can also listen using your engine monitor. Chances are you won't be as in tune with your EGTs as I was on this trip, but if you download the data you'll be able to identify a problem valve

3) Here's the controversial point that I'm sure will cause some disagreement. A lot of people have said there is no published EGT or TIT limit for Twin Cessnas, and that engine monitors have so many variations that you can't believe the EGT/TIT values anyway. I have always disagreed with this. The metal doesn't know whether or not there is a published limit, all it knows is what it will tolerate before it will tolerate no more. The turbochargers on Twin Cessnas actually have published limits for TIT of 1650F (you have to dig deep to find the spec for the TH08A turbo itself, Cessna doesn't publish it), and Cessna published power settings with manifold pressure, RPM, and fuel flow that would ensure you never reached a point that would have a limit. So, there was no point in publishing one.

While there are inaccuracies that can occur with the EGT/TIT measurements, I saw a significant increase due to mistimed engines, followed by exhaust valves in the following hours. Now, my guess is that the damage was already starting and that those valves would have burned anyway given enough time. However, I also think that the mistimed magnetos and significantly higher EGTs I observed on my first trip to St. Croix accelerated the wear and burned the valves faster.

I've said before that most shops get ignition timing wrong. I see them incorrectly find TDC (some will look for the physical position of the piston through the spark plug hole, which is wrong) and most will use a gravity needle which will have inherent inaccuracies with it. Normally I see timing being set in the range of 2-3 degrees off. Seeing 5 degrees off is a new one for me. Still, this is the inherent issue with the tools that most shops use. When you look at plane-to-plane variation in speed, I bet this is part of it.

I've attached a few pictures and posted some pictures and videos on the fundraiser page for the new engines of the burned valves, you can see there:

https://poundwishes.com/donate/2473881/engine-overhaul

Yes, a shameless plug for the engine fundraiser for Cloud Nine - RAM is giving us an incredible sponsorship on these engines but we still have a lot of money to raise. Cloud Nine is an all-volunteer 501(c)3 non-profit that relies on donations. These engines will put us in a position to save many, many more homeless pets.

cyl6.jpg cyl5.jpg cyl3.jpg

And the 310 you sold probably had zero issues since. Hope you get er done quickly.

And the 310 you sold probably had zero issues since. Hope you get er done quickly.

The 310 has fared better MX wise, but that would be expected as 310s generally have less MX needs than 414s. Keep in mind we'd hung new engines on it and the plane was completely gone through. However it has had its own issues and hasn't been trouble-free.

Regardless, the 310 wasn't cutting it for the mission, and looking at the trips that we've done with the 414 the 310 wouldn't have done them well at all. This plane has a job to do and works for a living. We knew going in that it'd need engines at some point, and that the engines were risk areas. Same for the props. The engine beam was the only truly unexpected major item we've done thus far.

The 414 upgrade was very much worth doing, this is just the next phase of climbing the mountain with it.

OK....I read "timing using the physical location of the piston thru the spark plug hole" is incorrect in setting timing?

Hmmm....I always thought using the piston is the most accurate way of determining TDC. In that I insert the bung plug...rotate till piston comes up and touches bung, measure that point.....then rotate prop all the way around till piston touches again the bung....then take the difference to get the exact location of TDC and use that to determine timing point.

What is different about what I'm doing vs. your method?

OK....I read "timing using the physical location of the piston thru the spark plug hole" is incorrect in setting timing?

Hmmm....I always thought using the piston is the most accurate way of determining TDC. In that I insert the bung plug...rotate till piston comes up and touches bung, measure that point.....then rotate prop all the way around till piston touches again the bung....then take the difference to get the exact location of TDC and use that to determine timing point.

What is different about what I'm doing vs. your method?

My description was unclear. The way you do it is the same as the way I do it, and correct.

Some people will just physically look in the hole, say "Ok, the piston looks like it's at TDC", and set that as TDC. As you know, there are several degrees of crankshaft rotation where the piston looks to be more or less at TDC.

My description was unclear. The way you do it is the same as the way I do it, and correct.

Some people will just physically look in the hole, say "Ok, the piston looks like it's at TDC", and set that as TDC. As you know, there are several degrees of crankshaft rotation where the piston looks to be more or less at TDC.
yup....that is a poor way of locating top....where there is a few degrees of motion with little piston movement.

Pretty sure I could set timing with nothing more than "one mississippi, two mississippi" and get it more right than most shops. Airplane mechanics have been ****ing up timing since at least WW2. I remember my grandpa's rants about it.....

I'm sure it "assumes" that timing is correct? :Do_O

It does. Plus in this case you've also got 25-30 years and 1200-1600 hours since the engines were overhauled, flown by a lot of different pilots and who knows how they were flown.

Great for you rescuing pets from STX, that is one terrible place for strays, I know I've lived there. Hope you chewed out the guy that timed the mags, there is no excuse for that. Good luck with the 414. I'm not sure they're still there but cape air had a maintenance hangar at the far end of the airport, they operated 414s. Maybe help if you're in a jamb as you are a charity.

Fortunately we're done with the STX trips, and they went off trouble-free. I don't know if Cape Air still has a hangar there, but their 402s were still flying all over down there. Apparently this season hit them hard as most of their business down there is tourism, which of course was wiped out.

I'm happy we have a path forward for the new engines. The plane will be in great shape after it.

Take a good look at the contact surfaces between rocker arm and exhaust valves. Big Continental engines are prone to poor geometry between the two and often have the rocker not contacting the valve stem squarely. That wears guides and allows poor valve seating and burned valves.

Take a good look at the contact surfaces between rocker arm and exhaust valves. Big Continental engines are prone to poor geometry between the two and often have the rocker not contacting the valve stem squarely. That wears guides and allows poor valve seating and burned valves.

Is there a fix for that geometry issue?

(Other than an STC for a Lycoming swap ;))

Is there a fix for that geometry issue?

(Other than an STC for a Lycoming swap ;))

Riley had developed an STC to put TIO-720s in the 414. It was supposedly a terrible conversion. You got better takeoff and climb, but it made the plane much harder to handle OEI. A few years back there was a 414 with this conversion that Vmc rolled and crashed, killing everyone on board. The NTSB report was one of those "Why the hell did they take off?" situations, but they did. The Lycoming engines apparently added enough drag to offset any speed benefits from the extra horsepower, although I doubt that's really true.

No doubt, the engines on the Aztec were the most reliable ones I've owned. They also only made 250 HP and were naturally aspirated. The price of power.

Riley had developed an STC to put TIO-720s in the 414. It was supposedly a terrible conversion. You got better takeoff and climb, but it made the plane much harder to handle OEI. A few years back there was a 414 with this conversion that Vmc rolled and crashed, killing everyone on board. The NTSB report was one of those "Why the hell did they take off?" situations, but they did. The Lycoming engines apparently added enough drag to offset any speed benefits from the extra horsepower, although I doubt that's really true.

No doubt, the engines on the Aztec were the most reliable ones I've owned. They also only made 250 HP and were naturally aspirated. The price of power.

I have always wondered about the potential rudder authority compromises of adding hp upgrades to a light twin.

The limited production short body Baron 56TC is one example. Although that thing was/is a rocket ship (a member of our club up here has had one or more than 20 years) but 380 hp on each side in a single engine situation sounds like it could be a handful.
Not sure if Beech increased the vertical stabilizer or rudder area for that model.

I also wonder about the various RAM hp upgrades for the twin Cessnas? How do they deal with the increased asymmetric thrust potential over the original design? Or does Vmc increase?

I have always wondered about the potential rudder authority compromises of adding hp upgrades to a light twin.

The limited production short body Baron 56TC is one example. Although that thing was/is a rocket ship (a member of our club up here has had one or more than 20 years) but 380 hp on each side in a single engine situation sounds like it could be a handful.
Not sure if Beech increased the vertical stabilizer or rudder area for that model.

I also wonder about the various RAM hp upgrades for the twin Cessnas? How do they deal with the increased asymmetric thrust potential over the original design? Or does Vmc increase?

When you do a HP upgrade, one of the tests you need to do is Vmc. Theoretically there isn't necessarily an issue with increasing horsepower significantly - turboprops have much higher power/weight ratios and the Vmc goes up as you'd expect, although rudder size and specific rudder location (i.e. how far aft of CG) is part of it. So you could just increase Vmc, which I think is what the Riley conversion did. The catch is, if Vmc gets too high, then you end up being below Vmc during certain parts of approach and thus require significantly more discipline in case of an engine failure to not shove the other throttle all the way forward.

I'm not sure what the Vmc numbers are on the RAM upgrades for Twin Cessnas, but RAM VI and VII come with VGs, which work to lower Vmc. Plus the horsepower increases are significant but not severe - going from 310 HP to 325 or 335 HP. The Riley conversion on the 414 took it from 310 HP to 400 HP.

There was also a Riley conversion that put turboprops on the 421, which I think were flat rated to something around 475 HP. My guess is that was largely due to Vmc issues. With the significantly improved horsepower (plus the fact that you could run them at that horsepower continuously, which almost no 421 owner would do with the stock GTSIOs) you got improved climb rate, although the cruise speed numbers I saw weren't all that impressive, especially when you factor in the extra fuel burn. Here's one that's been for sale for a while:

https://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/1425625/1975-cessna-421b-riley-turbine

Wow. For 380 grand for a used airplane "approaching" 230 knots isn't very impressive. Seems that those turbines could be put to better use.

Wow. For 380 grand for a used airplane "approaching" 230 knots isn't very impressive. Seems that those turbines could be put to better use.

Especially when you consider that $380k will buy you a nice Cheyenne that will go faster on similar fuel, have a higher cabin pressure differential, and actually be designed as a turbine in the first place rather than an STC.

The benefit of buying the 421 converted to a turbine is that your annual, etc. inspection requirements for the airframe are the 421 inspections, and you don't have to deal with the "Phase" inspections that you have on turbines. However I'd buy a Cheyenne before buying that 421, and I think everyone else agrees - hence why it's been sitting on the market so long.

That plane is priced about $100-150k too high.

Too bad for me both are out of my league. I would have loved a turbine for the glasair 3 kit I sold when I realized I'd never finish it.

Too bad for me both are out of my league. I would have loved a turbine for the glasair 3 kit I sold when I realized I'd never finish it.

Well, turbines are out of the league for most of us.

There are a lot of advantages to pistons and a lot of advantages to turbines. In general, I think the main disadvantage to pistons is that airplanes tend to be fitted with piston engines that are more marginal on power output, and also that higher power piston engines people generally don't want to operate at higher powers for extended periods of time.

If you took a 340 and put GTSIO-520s on with appropriately sized props (375 HP) and ran them harder, you'd get performance that would get pretty close to the Silver Eagle 340 conversion. Probably also true with the P-Baron. But the P-Baron has such short gear you'd need to get the appropriate props by adding blades - a 5-bladed prop would probably be necessary to optimize it.

There is a 414 RAM based at my home field. The vertical stabilizer has VGs. I don't know if the VGs were a necessary or optional part of the RAM upgrade or if they were done separately, but they're clearly there for this reason.

There is a 414 RAM based at my home field. The vertical stabilizer has VGs. I don't know if the VGs were a necessary or optional part of the RAM upgrade or if they were done separately, but they're clearly there for this reason.

All RAM VI and VII 340s/414s have VGs. It's optional on RAM IVs - RAM sells the VG STC to anyone, it doesn't require a RAM upgrade.

Ugh. Does this mean the 414 is grounded until the overhaul is done? It's going to take a while to raise that much money.

Speaking of raising money, that Pound Wishes site is a little finicky. I clicked on the "other" amount and tried to enter the amount with a decimal point and two zeroes. It ignored the decimal point and added the two zeroes. :eek: Oops, not that much. Then it wouldn't let me get rid of the extra zeroes. Sneaky. I left the page and went back, put the right amount in, and tried to use Paypal since I don't have my wallet in my pocket. It says, nope, no Paypal right now. The site owners might want to get things working better, that's got to be causing some lost donations.

I'll try it again next week when I get back, or maybe just send Cloud 9 a check and save you the transaction fees.

Some people just like VGs. I've seen them on a leading edge of a Air Cam that was bought from a engineer, not original equipment.

Ugh. Does this mean the 414 is grounded until the overhaul is done? It's going to take a while to raise that much money.

The plane is grounded until we get new engines on the plane. With that said, we had already been talking with RAM about new engines and they were already underway. The fundraiser actually got launched shortly before I found the burned valves. So this adds some urgency to the matter, but it was going to happen anyway and needed to happen anyway.

It is a lot of money to raise, but I'm optimistic. Generally, big projects like these have been a combination of big checks from some very generous (and obviously wealthy) individuals and then the smaller donations. Both are important to the overall goal, whether it's $10, $100, $1,000, or $40,000. Well, ok, a $40,000 donation would be really important if we could get it, not gonna lie, but I do appreciate all donations in any denomination. :)

Speaking of raising money, that Pound Wishes site is a little finicky. I clicked on the "other" amount and tried to enter the amount with a decimal point and two zeroes. It ignored the decimal point and added the two zeroes. :eek: Oops, not that much. Then it wouldn't let me get rid of the extra zeroes. Sneaky. I left the page and went back, put the right amount in, and tried to use Paypal since I don't have my wallet in my pocket. It says, nope, no Paypal right now. The site owners might want to get things working better, that's got to be causing some lost donations.

I'll try it again next week when I get back, or maybe just send Cloud 9 a check and save you the transaction fees.

Thanks for the PIREP. The PoundWishes software definitely has its share of bugs that I've run into over time. I'll give that report to my contact there. They're a startup that's growing (with growing pains), but they're really great to work with. My contact there is as dedicated to pushing and promoting Cloud Nine's campaigns as I am. She's great about pushing me to get better pictures, videos, etc. which in the past I've been really bad about doing. Donations have gone up significantly since I've started working with them. But yeah, their software has bugs.

I do really appreciate you wanting to make a donation! If PoundWishes doesn't work, you can either mail a check like you said or also make a donation via PayPal.

Back