Cessna 182Q copilot door doesnt stay latched

Steve Lars

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Steve L
on my 182Q, the co-pilot door will open unless the inside handle is pushed down into the locked position. Is the fix to adjust the arm out? My maintenance manual doesnt cover this but parts shows this adjustment.

Could be a bunch of things, but it’s really not designed to stay closed unless the arm is down, which drives the pin backward into the frame.

The little spring thing and closing the door without putting the arm down, you can pop most Cessna doors open by flexing the airframe by wiggling the wings. Even when adjusted correctly fresh from the factory.

Are you concerned about it for security or for wind? For wind, I can see trying to get them to behave. For security, there’s only about five keys for all Cessnas built before the restarts in the late 90s and I know mechanics and others with a full set on a key ring.

The way to secure a Cessna is to put it inside a hangar. The doors aren’t truly secure.

Often if they won’t latch and the mechanism is intact, the entire door has been sprung out of place or bent by a wind event catching the door and bending it and it’ll have to be adjusted and maybe re-shimmed depending on how much it’s warped. Also extra layers of paint often make this problematic, which affects our airplane a bit. It wasn’t stripped prior to the new paint job in the early 90s, so the doors can be a tad of a pain.

Cardinal doors are very vulnerable to being left open and hit by winds because of their size and relatively smaller attachment lines. A wind-bent Cardinal door becomes a natural pain in the butt until someone repairs it.

As Nate said, a lot of Cessna doors have this issue. So many that aftermarket solutions are available, a couple of which are:

1) the plane lock. I have one of these. You throw the bolt with the inside handle by reaching thru the window and then lock the window with this: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/planelock.php?clickkey=12066

2) a more elegant but far more expensive solution, because it involves an STC, is this lock: http://www.aviationpros.com/product/10138343/siriuswings-cessna-window-lock-stc. It too involves throwing the bolt thru an open window and then locking the window from the exterior.

And Damn! Option 2 has gotten a lot cheaper. I swear, when I bought my "plane lock" (many, many moons ago) this STC paperwork was closer to $500. Now the price is down to far closer to that of the plane lock...plus install labor. I might have to buy one!

But, if it's your co-pilot door then it really shouldn't be an issue. You can throw the bolt from the inside then lock the pilot side door.

Or are we missing something?

But, if it's your co-pilot door then it really shouldn't be an issue. You can throw the bolt from the inside then lock the pilot side door.

That’s what we do.

There’s also the STC for that little gas strut to open the doors, but really the value in those seems to be the opposite, that it’ll keep the doors from turning into sails and getting all bent up in all but the worst winds.

And they look like to me like they’d get in the way of your feet, all the time, trying to get in.

I’ve never seen a 182 with them installed.

I have the door stewards, they don't get in the way at all. I've oft said it's the best upgrade I've made on my plane thus far. Love 'em.

I have the door stewards, they don't get in the way at all. I've oft said it's the best upgrade I've made on my plane thus far. Love 'em.

Huh! Cool. Good to know. Maybe we’ll look into them someday.

We kinda need a new interior first.

To Op, mine worked just like yours did straight out of factory.

Thanks for the input. I have never experienced this before purchasing this plane. I can easily push the handle down to keep it closed.

This^^^. Had them on mine (182J) and loved them. Interestingly enough, a set with STC and all is cheaper than ONE of the plastic bars that limits door extension...which is how I got my door stewards...

The latch parts in the doorpost are adjustable. The door shouldn't pop open that easily. Many older airplanes have had their door gaskets replaced, and the mechanic has glued them to the door on both their surfaces so that they can't compress properly. They should get attached only to the surface parallel to the skin, not the door's frame.

Best way to lock the airplane is to lock the copilot's door, then close the pilot's door and latch it by sticking yourself through the baggage door, then lock the baggage door.

The door stewards, do they help in keeping the doors shut (and airtight) in flight? Both mine pop open unless the seals are liberally lubed up (creates a suction action I guess).

The door stewards, do they help in keeping the doors shut (and airtight) in flight? Both mine pop open unless the seals are liberally lubed up (creates a suction action I guess).

No, they place constant opening pressure on the door.

If your doors pop open in flight, the internal mechanism needs adjusting. The bolt isnt engaging the doorpost properly.

We have the door stewards in our 182P. Like them long time. Especially in gusty conditions.

My brother let a passenger close the jump door in my 182. He was sure surprised when he was looking at a bunch of nothing when it opened up at 7,000 feet.

Doors get twisted and warped through years of use and wind blowing them open to the stops. The latch bolt strike might need some adjusting but it's a temporary fix. My door will stay latched until the wind rocks the plane. Then it'll pop open. No bother. When I leave the plane I lock the pilot door from the inside through the baggage door, then lock the baggage door. Lots of Cessna owners do it that way.

Back