Fixed Gear Mooney M20D Master

"I finished the restoration in November 2014..."

How did you get field approval for installing a flux capacitor?

back-to-the-future-flux-capacitor-replica-3.jpg

Ron: Good on you for the restoration! We need pictures, and lots of 'em, too.

Very odd that S-Tec excludes fixed-gear models. But, why not call up the folks at Brittain Industries? they sell refurbed autopilots, at pricing that will confuse you (it's reasonable). Reports are that they work great, and Mooneys had Brittains as factory fit for a long time (think, "PC").

www.BrittainAutopilots.com

Congratulations, Ron! Truly a labor of love.

I am familiar with the three remaining fixed gear Ds, but don't know the prop status on the other two. You may well have a unique bird! Wish I could make OSH, but I'm in mid-relocation right now and trying to sell a house.

May we see some pictures here if the finished product?

Last edited:
I rarely check this site anymore because I've grown weary of the drama and the trolls. But for some reason I decided to take a look just a few minutes ago and found this update. Congrats on the refurb, Ron! Is this the one that was for sale on Ebay a couple years ago out of New Jersey? We have the fixed-gear bird on the West coast (N6630U). Ours is a constant speed prop. We have recently finished a complete refurb of the original interior. She looks and smells like a new plane now. Please keep me informed about your journey and let me know if you sell her. I'd love to stay in touch with the new owner. I'd also love to see some photos of the restoration. These are certainly three very rare birds and we're proud to own one. We love the continued comments we get from ATC about forgetting to put our gear up and the followup comments of not knowing these even existed.

Feel free to send me a private message. I'd love to stay in touch.

Attachments

• IMG_0438.JPG
    IMG_0438.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 57
Wow, that much slower huh? And people say fixed gear doesn't cost much on a clean plane. Oh well, cool to have the last of a mistake lol, even cooler you have it up to a good spec. Is there a Porsche Mooney left?

Porsche no longer supports the engine, and I think conversion was required. Many of the M20Ls were hit by a hurricane during conversion in (Punta Gorda?) Florida and totaled with lots of ill will and little insurance. Two were on eBay recently, with bids under $60K for the pair. The problem with them is the "new" engines are heavy and thirsty, making them full fuel, thin pilot only aircraft.

The D model, however, is still fly able and supported, even though only three remain unconverted. Only one has the fixed pitch prop that I had not heard about until this thread.

Please join us over on Mooneyspace, where there is one restored D model.

Hello folks!

RonM is my Dad. He's done some amazing work on N1916Y in the past couple years, and it shows!
Its a great rare Mooney and now updated as a very capable IFR aircraft, while maintaining is classic style.
Here is a link to just a few pics of the Mooney since the work.
Enjoy.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mini-man/sets/72157646864557516/

Beautiful work. Quick question, was there a moisture problem? In one of the photos I notice a small heater on the floor in the back.

Yes the Mooney is very much for sale! It is on Trade-A-Plane .com

An update to the state of N1916Y. She's off the market and comfortably settled in 39N, Princeton, NJ. She does appear to be a one-of-a-kind fixed-gear fixed-pitch Mooney.
Glenn

An update to the state of N1916Y. She's off the market and comfortably settled in 39N, Princeton, NJ. She does appear to be a one-of-a-kind fixed-gear fixed-pitch Mooney.
Glenn

The M20D is a cool piece of history. I'd love to do an air-to-air photoshoot of her. Any chance you'd be interested in getting together sometime to do one?

Last edited:
I shoulda figured. The flap pump handle in mine is just an itty bitty little thing.

What? Little steiny has a little handle? :D

Don't feel too bad, all I have is a little push-to-hold switch . . .

Back