Got the dreaded letter in the mail...

eman1200

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bro do you even lift
c5964936d4a9a5e64b56c0cf95aeea89.jpg

Can I plead stupid because technically the LLC owns it? Pretty please?

Depends on the state, but there's probably no way around it. I know it is a mandatory tax in Georgia.

yep. fuuuuuuuuuuuudge. well I budgeted for it, but it can still suck a big fat one.

The Luscombe is housed in another county, where taxes are lower, but I'm paying to the county where I live, where the rate is nearly three times higher. Bend over....

I pay about $1500 a year to Washoe County, Nevada for my plane and none of the money goes to anything aviation related according to the breakdown they provide. It is considered the same as a parcel of land. My plane even has a parcel number.

How long have you already owned the aircraft?

I'd say if they haven't figured it out by now....

Ofcourse don't do anything which wouldn't please the crown, YMMV, etc.

In Missouri they remain quite, wait five years or more, then check the FAA database and bill you for the tax with 5 years of penalities added on. It is not a sales tax, so there is no mechanism to collect the tax when you buy the plane.

I got caught on my first plane as did Senator Clare McCaskill. My republican friends (She is Dem) were saying she had to have known, while I am silently shaking my head.

Remember, the mot brazen mobs and drug dealers know to laundry the money and pay tax. You can commit all kinds of crimes, but if you mess with the tax man you are in deep trouble.

The Luscombe is housed in another county, where taxes are lower, but I'm paying to the county where I live, where the rate is nearly three times higher. Bend over....
A year and a half ago I moved my airplane to the county south of mine to take advantage of their new hangars. My property tax bill shifted to the county where my airplane is based. You should look into getting your taxes moved to the county where the airplane is based.

A year and a half ago I moved my airplane to the county south of mine to take advantage of their new hangars. My property tax bill shifted to the county where my airplane is based. You should look into getting your taxes moved to the county where the airplane is based.

plane is based in the same county I live in, which is the cheaper rate of the 2 local counties.

What if you had registered the LLC in a low tax State? Is the tax based on where the plane is domiciled physically, or where the ownership is registered?

I know a tax dude who I think can help you with a little sugar and a cherry on top of that pretty please. He's indisposed now but is up for parole in a couple months

What if you had registered the LLC in a low tax State? Is the tax based on where the plane is domiciled physically, or where the ownership is registered?
Property tax is based on the location of the property.

Yeah, don't blink, don't hesitate and pay up!

It wasn't gunning down mobsters that ultimately sealed Capone's fate; it was tax evasion. :eek:

I would, but here in SC they go by the FAA registration address. Can I use the airport's address for registration?

My experience has been that all the states I’ve had planes in look at the federal registry and send out a notice based on your physical address, not where the plane is based. But if you send back a letter stating that the aircraft is not based in the state they will not pursue any taxes. That does not absolve you from paying taxes to the state in which the aircraft is based however, they’ll eventually find out and send you a bill.

I know some guys who tried to circumvent the system by having a Vermont based LLC owning their airplanes. They claimed that they didn’t have to pay state registration and taxes to the state in which the plane was based. The state thought otherwise, and they got a hefty penalty which was based on the state assigned value of the plane. You can probably guess that the state assigned value was higher than actual value too.

I know some guys who tried to circumvent the system by having a Vermont based LLC owning their airplanes. They claimed that they didn’t have to pay state registration and taxes to the state in which the plane was based. The state thought otherwise, and they got a hefty penalty which was based on the state assigned value of the plane. You can probably guess that the state assigned value was higher than actual value too.
That smells fishy. Does an out of state airline pay “property tax” on their plane to another state just because it happened to be sitting on a ramp somewhere for a while one year?

Sorry to here about the added expense you will encounter for aircraft ownership. You could always fly the plane to Alaska and I will keep it safe for you to fly when you visit on vacation....:rolleyes: Just kidding of course!!!

Many people do this, it is where it is registered. I know of several jets that sit in a certain state that are registered in another state for this very purpose.

Hot air balloons, ultralights, and gliders. Doesn't say anything about Moonanzas.

In MissourI there is a county property tax on the plane based on where the owner lives, regardless of the location of the plane, and a state "sales tax", although that is not what it is called, but isn't collected if the plane is hangared in another state.

The county tax varies by county. In my county they have a greatly reduced property tax on "vintage" vehicles (both cars and planes). The planes have to be flown 50 hr or less during the year, and be at least 25 years old.

Ohio has a simple $15 /seat annual 'registration tax'. I plan to take my plane with me when I retire - this gives me yet another thing to consider - hangar availability and cost being another.

Whew..... I was thinking the letter might have said something like DNA testing proves that you are with 99.98% accuracy........

So you’re saying that eman is actually the PofA monkey? Oh, wait- different DNA test.

Did you base the LLC in Delaware like most people do?

Whew..... I was thinking the letter might have said something like DNA testing proves that you are with 99.98% accuracy........

I thought he was gonna tell us he's pregnant....how's that happen, anyone know....I mean he's a man right......or is he......

I already wrote a big fat check to the state when I got mine... is the Fed tax man going to ask for more??

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

"Do you own an aircraft (includes hot air balloons, ultralights and gliders)?"

So are those three types of aircraft an all inclusive list? Is that their definition of aircraft? If no, why list just those three?

Which is funny because the FAA in effect defines ultralights as vehicles, not aircraft. Even though they define aircraft as "a device that is used or intended to be used for flight in the air" which an ultralight fits.

But the FAA does define drones (UAS) as aircraft and drones require registration which ultralights do not. Plus you can get a pilot certificate for drones though not for ultralights. So would you have to answer the question yes if you had a drone?

What if your ultralight is a powered parachute of the type where the engine is a backpack rather than a trike type with a seat. Would they want you to answer yes if that is the case?

As far as gliders, are they including hang gliders or do they realize that those fall under ultralights - non powered?

Oh and then there are balloons. They listed hot air balloons but not gas balloons. What about blimps? What is up with that?

The lack of clarity in their question and the lack of consistency with FAA definitions seems to render the question difficult to answer with certainty of correctness. So I'd just answer 'no'.

Not a legal opinion.
Just having a little fun with this.
Don't take me too seriously.
Not like y'all do anyway.
:D

Just paid my registration "tax" today. Pi$$es me off but at least it's only $46/year. :)

Back