Sub-zero gas sumping

Last edited:
Minnesota/Wisconsin ought to qualify (especially this year) & i've been talking this for 35 years. I don't find it well known yet. I expect my quick drains to work in cold weather too, although I have deliberately not flown in subzero for many years.

What happens if you dont sump and take the plane to somewhere warm? Some planes with tip tanks could easily take off from say Chicago which is -5 right now, and not stop until Texas-type place. Would the ice melt upon descent and cause issues, or would it be used as the fuel is being drained during flight?

A few drops may pass through the engine and cause a minor miss, but I'd expect the majority of the water to end up in the gascolator. That's one of its purposes - they're typically installed at the low point of the fuel system and have the bowl on the bottom to catch the water. Similar to a water separator on a diesel.

This is news to me. Last year when i was training, I remember sumping all freaking 13 drains in 172 SP in -10F . No one ever told me or any other student not to sump in winter.

A few weeks back i did have a frozen drain, but I suspect that may be because of all the mud and slush that got thrown under the wing while taxi (low wing)

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Back