Painting Landing Gear and Wheels

Twin_Flyer

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Twin_Flyer
Just wondering if anyone has a SWAG on the cost involved in this job before I start calling shops? My OCD tries to take over every time I look at the flaking paint... :mad2:

Isn't this something you could just do with the disassemble and re assembly help of your friendly local AP?

I'd probably look into a good tuff paint like por15

I wonder if powder coating would be a better alternative than paint.

Just wondering if anyone has a SWAG on the cost involved in this job before I start calling shops? My OCD tries to take over every time I look at the flaking paint... :mad2:

It might help if you told us what airplane. Painting the gear on a retract is going to cost more than fixed gear.

Hmmmm....
t28dXCCmcb-6.png

At $300, it was a bit more than I expected. But they're magnesium, and were a bit corroded. I had not even asked for an estimate, since the shop had done good work for me before at a fair price. They said a lot of the labor went into cleaning and surface prep.

Pleased with the result (the mains were white and the nosewheel unpainted before):

27751479159_24d5821030_c.jpg

27751479929_92d6b37a8c_c.jpg

27751479479_f2f984616c_c.jpg

At $300, it was a bit more than I expected. But they're magnesium, and were a bit corroded. I had not even asked for an estimate, since the shop had done good work for me before at a fair price. They said a lot of the labor went into cleaning and surface prep.

Pleased with the result (the mains were white and the nosewheel unpainted before):

27751479479_f2f984616c_c.jpg

Looks sharp! And you have one hell of an eye if you can read the tire pressure gage to a point eight!! :)

Paul

Looks sharp! And you have one hell of an eye if you can read the tire pressure gage to a point eight!! :)

I agree measuring tire pressures to the tenth of a psi is silly.

I usually round up and add a tiny bit when checking, so that over the course of a month the pressure probably averages out about right.

My Cessna's spring gear was powder coated over 20 years ago. My plane operates on gravel and parks outside. The gear still looks great.

I bead blasted mine and painted them with rattle can "wheel paint" bought from O'Reilly Auto Parts.

Look out children on school yards and bus loads of nuns!

$300 sounds ok to me. There are a few hours there.
Schnazzy color choice.

Even if you paid yourself $20 an hour by the time you bought the materials to clean, bead blast, Rinse, Prime, Paint, Clean up and reassemble you probably would have more than $300 in parts and labor realistically.

Back