Iguanocalypse

steingar

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
steingar
It's so cold in Florida that frozen iguanas are falling from the trees. Thankfully (if you like iguanas, who doesn't?) the little critters aren't dead, but cold-shocked. Most of their autonomic functions shut down but their little hearts keep beating and they keep breathing. Hopefully once it warms up they'll thaw and go about their lacertine business. My guess is lots of them will succumb later to respiratory illness, though. Story on CNN.

frozen%20iguanas_1515121688682.jpg_31141293_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

Ha ha NPR just profiled this, first off some twidget had called them out for being anthropocentric. Then they had a story about a guy who loaded up his van with them and the warmth resuscitated them. Iguanas on a van! Where is Sam Jackson when you need him?

I had a pet iguana as a kid, kinda got a soft spot for them

looks like a squeaky dog toy. a cold one at that.

I wonder how many people pick up the cold iguanas and put them into their armpit to warm them up..??

Even the turtles in Texas are getting cold.

I had two 6 foot iguanas back in the day (one at a time over a few decades). They were hands down the neatest pets I ever had. Wish I could have one now.

One used to have the run of my LaJolla apartment. He’d void in his water, so that wasn’t a big concern. He’d sleep in a high shelf in the back, come down in the morning to sun himself, have breakfast, and then sit under his lamp. He wasn’t friendly or anything (wasn’t unfriendly either) but he was there. The best thing was if I was going to travel I just left him some extra water. That was it. The things are poikilothermic, they don’t really have to eat all that frequently and can go a LONG time between meals.

I’ve heard they make good eating and I don’t doubt it. I know they farm them in South America for sustainable agriculture. A recent import into Florida, but I doubt a destructive one. They’re primary herbivores but arboreal, i cant think of a Floridian equivalent. Most places in the tropics that niche is filled by primates.

Iguanageddon.

Back