Air-to-Air 3 Christen Eagles at OSH

Lowflynjack

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jack Fleetwood
Well, the IAC magazine with my photos is finally out, so I'm now allowed to share the pics.

36358173313_024e36dc1f_b.jpg

37000805402_b63da450c2_b.jpg

37030399261_57d01e60a6_b.jpg

37030396831_f958ae26c9_b.jpg

37000788892_3531931467_b.jpg

37030395641_9872dc6088_b.jpg

36358178453_0f5d8ccf6b_b.jpg

36335856914_45ace428cf_b.jpg

Wow wow wow Jack! Fantasic!

Those are the coolest Staggerwings I've ever seen. :ihih:

Wow. Golly. Those are great. I'm gonna send you an empty memory card and throw away my cameras. Just send the card back to me full, please...

Hey mods, I have a complaint or actually a suggestion. Let's do away with the like button and replace it with a 1-5 star system so we can give posts like this the acclaim they deserve.

Oh what the hell, I'll just give it these:
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Wow. Golly. Those are great. I'm gonna send you an empty memory card and throw away my cameras. Just send the card back to me full, please...
Now that's funny!! Thank you!

Hey mods, I have a complaint or actually a suggestion. Let's do away with the like button and replace it with a 1-5 star system so we can give posts like this the acclaim they deserve.

Oh what the hell, I'll just give it these:
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Sweet, three purple guys giving me a thumbs up! I couldn't ask for a better compliment. Thank you!

Jack, it's a good thing you can take great pictures, you sure as hell can't count. ;)
I sure missed that one! I think I was still thinking about three planes... that or I'm exhausted... or I can't count! :D

Christen Eagles not Christian. It's named after the designer Frank Christensen.

Christen Eagles not Christian. It's named after the designer Frank Christensen.
Strange, I know the planes and the name very well. Is there spell check on titles? This is the second time that's happened.. Maybe a mod can change it for me.

Then again, it could be a case of exhaustion on my part. I went to Blakesburg for 4 days, came home for 1 day, flew (commercially) to Louisville, KY for a week, went home for 1 day, helped my friend fly his RV-7A from Austin to Pittsburg yesterday, and then drove a rental car from Pittsburg back to Louisville today to work here another week. I'm worn out.

Strange, I know the planes and the name very well. Is there spell check on titles? This is the second time that's happened.. Maybe a mod can change it for me.

Usually one who can't count can't spell either, just saying. :D

sorry Jack, you left it open

From the magazine. Only the photo of the three Eagles is mine.
21557971_1764925876869131_1102723041187420191_n.jpg

And the "bestest" ones Jack! Congrats on getting published. Well deserved.

And the "bestest" ones Jack! Congrats on getting published. Well deserved.
Thanks. It's cool to not only be published, but to get my friends published. They're loving this.

Thanks. It's cool to not only be published, but to get my friends published. They're loving this.

Oh I didn't even think about them, but yes, I'm sure they are.

Last edited:
The guy in the middle Eagle is a close friend of mine. He's the one I've taken a lot of photos of in the past.

Jack,

Awesome photos are usual, are you going to make the trip to Sun and Fun next year?

Jack,

Awesome photos are usual, are you going to make the trip to Sun and Fun next year?
Thanks. Not sure yet. My contact at EAA just resigned. I was hoping to hit her up for an invitation. I'm starting all over, but I'm going to try!

You can fix it yourself. At the top right of the thread. See image

Attachments

• IMG_0010.PNG
    IMG_0010.PNG
    322.1 KB · Views: 6
Great pictures! And I have to admire the nice spacing on the formation too. Good flying !

I can't find any purple guys, so here's a couple smiley guys!
:D:D:D

Great pictures! And I have to admire the nice spacing on the formation too. Good flying !

I can't find any purple guys, so here's a couple smiley guys!
:D:D:D

Thank you. I was putting these guys through hell. They had never flown together, but all had formation flying experience. In a photo shoot, I'll typically move planes around in 5' increments. Anyone who stumbled across this frequency would have heard an earful. #1, Up 5 #3 forward 5 and down 5, #1 forward 5, #1 forward 5 more, etc. I think we flew with these guys close to 45 minutes to get the shot the IAC wanted and they were all exhausted afterward.

A newbie here, non-pilot (RC 58% Pitts S1-C is the biggest thing I fly)......so I was searching for info on the Christen 'Super' Eagle and ended up signing up here. Saw this wonderful photo of what I take it are 2 - two seater Eagles and 1 - single seater Eagle. Is the latter a 'Super' and if so what are the main differences between it and the 'standard', as I'm currently looking at building a 50% Eagle and might change to a Super if I can find enough information to do so accurately?

Thx for any/all responses

Bill

A newbie here, non-pilot (RC 58% Pitts S1-C is the biggest thing I fly)......so I was searching for info on the Christen 'Super' Eagle and ended up signing up here. Saw this wonderful photo of what I take it are 2 - two seater Eagles and 1 - single seater Eagle. Is the latter a 'Super' and if so what are the main differences between it and the 'standard', as I'm currently looking at building a 50% Eagle and might change to a Super if I can find enough information to do so accurately?

There were 5 single place Eagles built originally. Some people call these the Super Eagles. Three of them were for Eagles Aerobatic Team, Charlie Hillard, Tom Poberezny, and Gene Soucy. These three are hanging in the EAA museum. The other two are still flying.

A few two place eagles have been modified to be single place, including the one in the photo, making it a Super Eagle. This was originally one of two in the Iron Eagles Aerobatic team. Other than being a single place plane, the only differences I know of are the larger engine, an IO-540, and a modified engine cowling to fit the larger engine.

My friend Randy Ott owns this one. At one time it belonged to Bill Gordon. Bill died when the P-47 Jacky's Revenge had engine issues over the Hudson and he went in.

Last edited:
There were 5 single place Eagles built originally. Some people call these the Super Eagles. Three of them were for Eagles Aerobatic Team, Charlie Hillard, Tom Poberezny, and Gene Soucy. These three are hanging in the EAA museum. The other two are still flying.

A few two place eagles have been modified to be single place, including the one in the photo, making it a Super Eagle. This was originally one of two in the Iron Eagles Aerobatic team. Other than being a single place plane, the only differences I know of are the larger engine, an IO-540, and a modified engine cowling to fit the larger engine.

My friend Randy Ott owns this one one. At one time it belonged to Bill Gordon. Bill died when the P-47 Jacky's Revenge had engine issues over the Hudson and he went in.

Thanks for the history lesson. I didn't know any of that.

Well, just when I thought the EAA didn't love me anymore, I got the official invite for Oshkosh 2018! I'll be back wearing the bright yellow vest and taking your pictures. I can't wait.

Also got a cool shot in the EAA Vintage magazine!
27742571529_ea659c0b59_b.jpg

Congratulations Jack

I look forward to this year’s photos. Hopefully I will see you there. I have one week more vacation than my wife this year and that seems like a good way to use it.

Gary

Back