Why do we always want what we can't have?

097abb1cf0a024cb5a0d43080f148e5f.jpeg

The family had to sell off the “Capitalist Tool” a long time ago. :)

The same goes for a huge stake in the magazine (of which U2’s Bono was the major shareholder in the investors) in 2006 for a price that by 2009 was twice as much as the magazine was worth.

Guess that means he didn't win...:oops:

you haven't found the right one yet. Celebrated 18 years this summer. I don't feel like a newlywed .... better actually. Theres lots of good stuff still happening.

Good luck @Sac Arrow

36+ for us. I think one of my most satisfying moments was when our 23 (at the time) year old son told us I can see that marriage takes work. It does. No matter who you're married to. I am married to a great one. She encourages my dreams and goals and puts up with my stuff. And I try very hard to do the same for her. Every day does not feel like when we were first married (which would probably be exhausting). The whole relationship (include "stuff") ebbs and flows. But we have the same basic values particularly as to our marriage-we will work at it together.

John

When my girlfriend asked me on my way to Harbor Freight to get a tool or six, she asked me why men need so many tools. I replied probably same reason women need so many purses and shoes. She said “Aha!”

Cheers

36+ for us. I think one of my most satisfying moments was when our 23 (at the time) year old son told us I can see that marriage takes work. It does. No matter who you're married to. I am married to a great one. She encourages my dreams and goals and puts up with my stuff. And I try very hard to do the same for her. Every day does not feel like when we were first married (which would probably be exhausting). The whole relationship (include "stuff") ebbs and flows. But we have the same basic values particularly as to our marriage-we will work at it together.

John
Couldn't agree more. A good friend of mine asked me what the secret was to a successful marriage and my answer was both people being willing to put forth the effort to make it work. Once someone stops working at the relationship it will eventually end. Hopefully mine doesn't ever give up.

Isn't the second one so true. I don't know how you guys with 20+ year marriages function. 'Stuff' stops after about five years.

If that stuff stops after 5, then I'm in big trouble - after 8 years of marriage we have our first child on the way. Sac: were you in New Orleans about 7 months ago????!!!! :p

America.

The only place on God's Green Earth that folks can obtain more stuff then they can EVER hope to properly maintain.

America.

The only place on God's Green Earth that folks can obtain more stuff then they can EVER hope to properly maintain.
Have you seen some of the stuff in Dubai? Ridiculous - and they don't maintain anything right as far as I've seen.

America.

I don’t think so... I’ve seen people with more junk than they could maintain in both Canada and Mexico personally, just to name our neighbors as a starting point.

Have you seen some of the stuff in Dubai? Ridiculous - and they don't maintain anything right as far as I've seen.

So true. When I was in Egypt years ago for an exercise (supposedly) out at Cairo West, the American Air Force was maintaining the Egyptian F-4s for them. Driving from Cairo to the base you'd see vehicles, cars and trucks, abandoned on side of the road because they broke down. Been there for years I was told. Half completed buildings and high risers.

Last edited:
By the way ...

Behavioral Economists have proven people want “free” much more than they want “actual value” in multiple blind tests.

An example is in Freakonomics but there’s much more academic study that’s been published since that book came out.

So “what you want” is often manipulated by changing the perceived opportunity cost lost to obtain it.

“Buy one get one free!”

Etc.

My favorite is the car dealer who always says he’s having “inventory equalization sales”. LOL. WTF does that even mean?! Sounds important though. Haha.

I got over cheap many years ago. I'm much more a buyer in value. Two things got me there.

First, we were getting a bike for our daughter for her birthday. My wife wanted to get one at Toys R Us. I wasn't wild about that, but we both work so our daughter couldn't ride around the neighborhood all summer like I did. Our neighborhood and the surrounding area is hilly, which makes riding a single geared bike tough. Plus there is a lot of traffic. So, I realized she probably wouldn't ride it much anyway and we got the cheap bike. When my daughter first rode it she noticed the brakes were rubbing the wheels. I figured I could adjust that. Nope, the wheel were well beyond my ability to true-up; I'm not great at it, but can do it a little. These wheels were not "round". Like someone heavy was on the bike and dropped it a few feet. :eek: Back to the store, and find they don't have any more of that model. It took us 3 more bikes of different models to find one with wheels that were "mostly round". :oops: I told my wife after that if we didn't spend at least $500 on a bike they didn't need one.

Second, one day I came home and my wife had a sad face and told me, "I broke the blender. I dropped the pitcher for it and it broke." My response surprised her, "Yes!" That damn blender couldn't make a smoothie to save it's life. The kids wanted smoothies. Occasionally we'd forget about the prior poor results and try again, only to fail again. She wanted to go get a $39 blender. I told her no way, $39 blenders don't make smoothies. I told I had a problem buying a $600 Vitamix, even though it was the best out there, but I'd look and we'd get something. I ended up getting a $200 blender, and yes, it makes smoothies. It does a darn good job of making smoothies.

Those events got me to shop far more often on value and not on price. The "$39 blenders don't make smoothies" is a line I use at work to explain to people why I hire people with more experience and higher salaries/billing rates over cheap labor.

Hell try 45+! But then she'd say the same thing about me lol. And, nothing stopped after 5 years either. She's a good one.

All about making good choices. :D Sounds like you made a damn good choice there.

I kind of like the way this thread is drifting, btw

All about making good choices. :D Sounds like you made a damn good choice there.

I think so too but I think being separated on deployments in the USAF and then gone for 3-4 days of airline flying every week helped too! :rofl:

I don’t have Ebola and don’t really want it either. So the premise of the question is busted.

Not really... you *could* have Ebola with surprisingly little effort. You don’t want something you could have.

OTOH, I’d love a different President, but I can’t seem to have one...

Happiness is about having "enough." "Enough" brings peace of mind. It has very little to do with income.

When my girlfriend asked me on my way to Harbor Freight to get a tool or six, she asked me why men need so many tools. I replied probably same reason women need so many purses and shoes. She said “Aha!”

Cheers

I would wager that, on average, more women know how to work with their shoes than men know how to work with their implements. ;)

Happiness is about having "enough." "Enough" brings peace of mind. It has very little to do with income.

...and I'll be happy as soon as I have enough airplanes. I'd like to start with one and see how it does, but I don't have enough money. If I had enough money I'd be happy. I don't wanna have to go out and earn it, I just want it. That way it wouldn't be income- it would just be "my money." Ah, peacefulness...

I'll hit 25 in a couple months. Is it perfect? Nope. Would I do it again? Yep.

And if "stuff" stops after five years, you chose poorly.

This^^^^^^

The secret to a happy marriage is marry the right one in the first place. 32 years here. We still have "stuffs".

Not really... you *could* have Ebola with surprisingly little effort. You don’t want something you could have.

OTOH, I’d love a different President, but I can’t seem to have one...

Ok poor example. I don’t have any missing chromosome disorders and don’t want any. Better?

All sorts of things I can’t have that I also don’t want. It’s one of those stupid phrases people repeat without thinking even more than a nanosecond about it.

Ok poor example. I don’t have any missing chromosome disorders and don’t want any. Better?

All sorts of things I can’t have that I also don’t want. It’s one of those stupid phrases people repeat without thinking even more than a nanosecond about it.

So you’re saying you pretty much have the things you want, or have very few wants? Sounds like a contented life has been achieved, and from your posts here I’d presume that my guess is correct. ;)

So you’re saying you pretty much have the things you want, or have very few wants? Sounds like a contented life has been achieved, and from your posts here I’d presume that my guess is correct. ;)

No, I was specific. There are plenty of things I don’t have that I don’t want.

But your intuition is correct. I don’t have a whole bunch of fake needs like a lot of folks, either.

Back