Spinal Cord Stimulators

F

Foot pain

Tell me your experience with them. On yourself or a family member or friend or even 'I heard...'
Ignore for now, what it might do to a pilot's FAA Medical status.

Do they work? On most patients, or not, or?
For how long; ie do they quit working?
Frequency and severity of adverse effects?

In this case, for collapsed disc causing neuropathy which affects only the feet.

No first hand experience but I have anesthetised a bunch of folks getting them put in. Typically they do a trial to see if it helps you. If the trial yields positive results they put in the permanent implant device which is a little larger than a pacemaker. Some report significant improvement in their symptoms. I would say most report that it helps. I have seen some removed due to infection. I have seen some folks complain that it is uncomfortable at the device location near the belt line or on the side where they sleep. I have see a few dural punctures which typically result in a short term headache.
For a collapsed disc they would want to be sure that no nerve root compressor remains before proceeding to an implant for treatment.

I made a living since 1998 as an advanced pain management guy- and implanted a good number of these. Yes, they work. However you have to find someone who is selective and know in which syndrome and in which person, it will work.

I made a living since 1998 as an advanced pain management guy- and implanted a good number of these. Yes, they work. However you have to find someone who is selective and know in which syndrome and in which person, it will work.
Bruce, what should we know (and share with others) about obtaining and maintaining a 3rd or better medical if the airman has one of these implants?

Bruce, what should we know (and share with others) about obtaining and maintaining a 3rd or better medical if the airman has one of these implants?
To thoroughly document that there is no central canal impingement, no nerve root entrapment, no functional numbness nor weakness.

Then the evaluation by the AME has to be "somewhat thorough" as to any operational limitations, and to do a separate eval with the thing turned off.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back