Lowell Observatory, Flagstaff AZ

Pilawt

Final Approach
Santa Rosita State Park, under the big 'W'
Display Name

Display name:
Pilawt
Six miles up the road from KFLG, atop Mars Hill just west of downtown Flagstaff, is the Lowell Observatory. It is definitely worth a visit. It was there in 1930 that 24-year-old Clyde Tombaugh made and studied hundreds of photographic plates of the night sky, and happened to notice one tiny white dot moving amongst the field of thousands of stars. That tiny dot was the planet later named Pluto.

Here are the two tell-tale plates. The second was made on January 29, 1930, coincidentally the very day my father was born.

Discovery of Planet Pluto_2.jpg

(I have a bit of a rooting interest in this story; I attended a class taught by Dr. Tombaugh at New Mexico State University in 1967.)

The Pluto Discovery telescope itself has been under renovation for the past couple of years, but has just now been reopened to tours.

The Pluto planet/non-planet debate is a touchy subject to the locals, as you would expect. The tour guide (completely unbiased, of course) told us that if the new IAU criteria promulgated in 2006 were strictly followed, only Mercury and Saturn would still qualify as planets.

I appreciated the sign at the entrance to the observatory visitor center, which pays homage to one of the great philosophers of our time:

:D

Last edited:
Yea great place! Leah and I visited there on our honeymoon.

Thanks for the pics. I remember that place. I went to Northern Arizona Univ. for my undergrad studies. Went up to Lowell several times.

Pretty cool place been there several times. I went to NAU for mechanical engineering. We called Mars Hill, “Makeout Point” lol. I used to do some downhill mountain biking by the “new” Lowell observatory down off Lake Mary Road. There is a cool trail called Centipede. Not sure if it is still there or not.

*sigh* I miss college

Back