New ADS-B with AHRS

N659HB

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Pops
Seattle Avionics has just released its Merlin ADS-B unit with AHRS and a battery for $249, and it's apparently compatible with ForeFlight. Seems like a good deal.

Seattle Avionics has just released its Merlin ADS-B unit with AHRS and a battery for $249, and it's apparently compatible with ForeFlight. Seems like a good deal.
aka pre-assembled stratux
seems like a decent deal

Guess that explains the FF compatibility! It's a lot less than I paid for my Dual 170. The Dual 190 has AHRS, but it's about the same price as a Stratus 2.

Whats the word on Foreflight retaining compatibility with stratux. Are there enough stratux users that they can't/wont yank compatibility?

Last I knew the Stratux AHRS was still blocked on ForeFlight. Has that changed?

Just got off the phone with them.
They are offering 50% off of either IFR or VFR yearly prices with purchase of the Merlin unit.
For students, they are offering $19.99 first year, and 50% off second year with purchase of Merlin unit.
I believe CFI's qualify as well for $19.99 first year, 50% off second year.
With VFR only that's $54.98 for two years
With VFR/IFR that's $89.98 for two years
or, for non-student, non-CFI that's a savings of $35 VFR and $70 for IFR.
Helps negate the cost over and above a standard Stratux.

As a side note, I scored a used iPad 2 for free. It's a 16gb but with FlyQ you can download and delete states that you need/don't need, right in the flight planning with the tap of a button. Pretty intuitive I thought. Other EFB's may have this capability, I just haven't looked closely at them.
Again, impressed with this company so far.

They are offering 50% off of either IFR or VFR yearly prices with purchase of the Merlin unit.
For students, they are offering $19.99 first year, and 50% off second year with purchase of Merlin unit.

As a side note, I scored a used iPad 2 for free. It's a 16gb but with FlyQ you can download and delete states that you need/don't need, right in the flight planning with the tap of a button. Pretty intuitive I thought. Other EFB's may have this capability, I just haven't looked closely at them.
50% off of what? I"m confused(now).

Nevermind, I guess you're talking about FlyQ EFB which they also make/sell. When people speak of android and efb I assume free.

I guess they can offer the software at a discount because they're charging so much for the Stratux that you can build yourself for much less then the $249.

For me it makes good sense. I can build about anything but...
Right now I'm working more than a full time job, have rental properties, flipping a house, (both which me and my son do all of the work, plus includes 2 yards to mow), moving my kids between houses, flying, studying for PPL written, prepping for checkride, live by myself, have an inground pool to take care of, helping my 92 year old father, and helping a friend fix a fence. I don't have any pets right now, Thank the Lord.

I really don't have time to build a stratux this minute, and don't want to wait till I do have time, it could be months.
With this offer, I get a dual band Stratux, with AHRS, fan, usb, antennas, charger, battery, built pretty much just the way I'd want to build it, and a 12 month warranty...all for about the same amount of money (after the discounts).
Plus, I had pretty much decided on FlyQ anyway.

I was about to pull the trigger on a Dual 170...so i appreciate the OP.

Just thought I'd share the info for anyone interested.

Last edited:
I like the Dual 170, but it has no AHRS. I've never been able to get it to connect to Avare, so I don't use it with my 'Droid tablet. It's a shame, 'cause the 'Droid will go five hours on a charge. My iPad lasts about 1.5 hours!

On the stratux website it says ahrs still in development. Has it been finished?

I just ordered the Merlin and downloaded the FLYQIFR version and it is pretty nice. They gave it to me for 70.00 for one year and I like it so far. The split screen is nice, I hope the AHRS works good.

I bought a Bad Elf and used it with Flight Plan Go and it worked okay but the accuracy wasn't great. I'm looking forward to WAAS accuracy.

I use Xavion, as well as FlyQ, as well as jeppesen VFR applications for the i pad. Does Merlin work with Xavion?

Found a RXWX Dual band ADS-B receiver w/ WAAS GPS and AHRS on Amazon Stratux store that appears very similar to Merlin listed for $175. Does anyone have any experience or info on that. I would be using it with ForeFlight.

I see Flightbox (openflight solutions.com) is offering their ADS-B pro for $600 which has AHRS ..does anyone have any news or opinions ..

On the stratux website it says ahrs still in development. Has it been finished?

They are still working on it. Latest Beta 1.4r2-xxxxxxxxx

AHRS does not work with ForeFlight. I'm running 1.4r1xxxxxxxxx and it runs well with FlyQEFB. I have not flown with it yet. I don't know why Foreflight is keeping them locked out, assuming that's the case.

https://ibb.co/jLmQ26

Here is what happened to my Merlin. It worked great for 25 hours or so then the GPS wouldn't work. I called Seattle Avionics and they said the GPS chip can come unplugged from the USB port, so I opened it up. I found the USB connector broke from the Stratux chip. I called them back and they are sending shipping tags for me to return it and fix it. Which is great, except for being without it for a couple weeks.

Good thing I have a BadElf so I can continue to use the APP.

Just adding to the pirep...

My Merlin gps chip came loose also. (didn't break)
I called them telling them I hear something rattling around. They sent me a replacement, but I had already fixed it and told them not to ship it.
However they sent it anyway, and said keep all the accessories. So I got extra cables, battery, antennae, etc., so it worked out ok for me I guess lol.
Hopefully they'll become proactive, if they haven't already, and add a bracket or a foam/rubber type support to hold it in place better.

I will use my phone as an emergency backup, as well as a last resort handheld...but my replacement has held up well, and has gotten bounced around at times loading/unloading the plane.
Only other issue I've had, is that I had to reboot my iPad once to get it to connect. That was an older iPad 2. I have a mini 4 now, but not enough time on it to see any problems expose themselves.

For me it makes good sense. I can build about anything but...
Right now I'm working more than a full time job, have rental properties, flipping a house, (both which me and my son do all of the work, plus includes 2 yards to mow), moving my kids between houses, flying, studying for PPL written, prepping for checkride, live by myself, have an inground pool to take care of, helping my 92 year old father, and helping a friend fix a fence. I don't have any pets right now, Thank the Lord.

I really don't have time to build a stratux this minute, and don't want to wait till I do have time, it could be months.
With this offer, I get a dual band Stratux, with AHRS, fan, usb, antennas, charger, battery, built pretty much just the way I'd want to build it, and a 12 month warranty...all for about the same amount of money (after the discounts).
Plus, I had pretty much decided on FlyQ anyway.

I was about to pull the trigger on a Dual 170...so i appreciate the OP.

Just thought I'd share the info for anyone interested.
Thanks for sharing. It’s a good option for those with no ability to assemble things.
But If you’re decent at building things, a Stratux literally takes 10 minutes to put together, including the 5 minutes to burn the micro SD card. It’s super quick and easy.

I noticed on the info sheet for the Merlin unit that the unit's AHRS is calibrated for a specific orientation. It's configurable in the software, they say, but what is the specific orientation for the unit, out of the box? In other words, where do you have to stick this thing in say, a C152 or C172 for it to be properly oriented?

You hit a button when you are straight and level and that orients it to your current situation.

You hit a button when you are straight and level and that orients it to your current situation.
Makes sense. Thank you.

I was looking at the Stratus systems (My CFI has one and it works great).. However, when it's $250 versus $850, it's hard not to take a chance on the Merlin, since I'm already using FlyQ EFB anyway.

You mean Asian. Whoops, sorry, wrong thread.

I liked the Merlin and flyq until it broke. The adsb isn't that great it is sort of a repeater off other planes and not that accurate to your position. The weather works and winds aloft is nice but you have to have a Internet connection for it to be current.

I also wish flyq had a flight instrument screen like IFly720 so I could use it as a DG if I'm flying something without a good DG.

I liked the Merlin and flyq until it broke. The adsb isn't that great it is sort of a repeater off other planes and not that accurate to your position. The weather works and winds aloft is nice but you have to have a Internet connection for it to be current.

I also wish flyq had a flight instrument screen like IFly720 so I could use it as a DG if I'm flying something without a good DG.
The durability of the Merlin is the only thing that gives me pause.. I've heard a few stories about the GPS chip coming loose, etc. etc. General consensus is that Seattle Avionics' customer support is pretty good, but that doesn't do you much good if the thing conks out while you're in the air. The Dual XGPS-190 appears to be a good unit, without the 'Radio Shack' project-box look to it. And it doesn't have those 7.5" antennae to have to deal with that the Merlin does. But.... It's back up in the $850 range. IDK, this probably falls into one of those 'you get what you pay for' categories.

Back