Help Kat buy a 'plane

it’s really not that different that a 180hp 172 so unless you specifically said I’m desperate for greater load hauling or longer legs (which you did mention and I guess you’d need for an around-the-world), I’m not seeing a really compelling reason for leaving the plane you already have.
I see where Kat’s coming from. I have a 172N/180 hp which serves my local flying needs well. I too have toyed with the idea of upgrading to a 182, though, mainly because of the 172N’s original 40 gallon fuel capacity, which is skimpy for a 180 hp engine.

What do the assembled regard as a fair price for the one I linked in the OP, if I were to pursue it?

Tough question. I'm sure many will disagree but I have found vref to be a useful source of pricing info for a fairly reasonable price.

The linked airplane looks nice but seems a bit high to me. I sold a 74 C185 with similar engine times (conti reman 700hrs, no prop strike) for 127k, two years ago. This 182 definitely has 25k in extra avionics though, and paint is a little nicer. Good luck.

185 and 182 prices are not comparable, in my opinion. One has little to do with the other.

As a former 182 owner and current 205 owner the biggest thing that just doesn’t seem to fit for me in terms of your mission requirements is that the 182 is so slow(!). I don’t really care about speed because my legs are generally short so it works for me, but if I was specifically looking for a long-legged over-water machine, I think I’d like to do it a little quicker than a 182. I’m still thinking 210 or 182RG, or, my favorite, a turbocharged 182RG, but I generally think in terms of higher altitude flying based on where I fly.

185 and 182 prices are not comparable, in my opinion. One has little to do with the other.
In my opinion, 185 and 182 prices generally correlate, with 185s of similar year and condition being more valuable(say, 30%). Which is why I offered my transaction data point for the OP's consideration. Haven't purchased or sold any 182s recently.

In my opinion, 185 and 182 prices generally correlate, with 185s of similar year and condition being more valuable(say, 30%). Which is why I offered my transaction data point for the OP's consideration. Haven't purchased or sold any 182s recently.

The 180/185 market has changed a lot in the last 6 months or so. Are you factoring those changes in? Personally, I think the asking prices for these planes is a bit artificially inflated at the moment and it will right itself. But I also have talked to some guys who believe the asking prices on the good 180s and 185s will continue to go up. Who knows for sure.

Because of the price delta, if one can live with a tri gear plane and the loss of some configuration flexibility the 182 offers more bang for the buck.

The 180/185 market has changed a lot in the last 6 months or so. Are you factoring those changes in? Personally, I think the asking prices for these planes is a bit artificially inflated at the moment and it will right itself. But I also have talked to some guys who believe the asking prices on the good 180s and 185s will continue to go up. Who knows for sure.

Because of the price delta, if one can live with a tri gear plane and the loss of some configuration flexibility the 182 offers more bang for the buck.
No, I didn't factor in C185 market changes in the past 6 months; I haven't been watching it closely. But I did recommend vref as one source of objective pricing info. I sold my 185 two years ago and offered the transaction info as a related data point for the OP. I have never owned a 182, but have flown a few.

Regarding the inflated prices you mentioned, the 185 does offer more capability in some areas for more $'s(extra 400 lbs useful, more speed, heavy duty conventional gear, ...). And, they are not building them(185's) anymore, but many are being flown a lot of hours, into remote landing areas, on wheels, skiis and floats, and so some are destroyed every year. Tends to drive up the price of the ones that are left. :)

No, I didn't factor in C185 market changes in the past 6 months; I haven't been watching it closely. But I did recommend vref as one source of objective pricing info. I sold my 185 two years ago and offered the transaction info as a related data point for the OP. I have never owned a 182, but have flown a few.

Regarding the inflated prices you mentioned, the 185 does offer more capability in some areas for more $'s(extra 400 lbs useful, more speed, heavy duty conventional gear, ...). And, they are not building them(185's) anymore, but many are being flown a lot of hours, into remote landing areas, on wheels, skiis and floats, and so some are destroyed every year. Tends to drive up the price of the ones that are left. :)

I've had pretty good luck with Vref giving at least a basic starting point for pricing too. I'm not sure how far behind the current times Vref is, or if it would catch the uptick in 180/185 prices or not, since it is pretty recent. But this thread was started inquiring about 182s, and I'd think it would at least reasonably reflect the pricing of those since the pricing has remained fairly flat. :)

Indeed, the 180/185s aren't getting any newer and are getting used and used up. It would be nice if Cessna would recognize that and offer a replacement but that is unlikely. The operators likely wouldn't want to pay the price Cessna would ask for them anyway. I'm kind of curious to see what way the prices go in the future. I'd like to have one but if things keep going the way they are, I'm not going to pay for the privilege. Maybe I'll convert a 182 instead.

...Indeed, the 180/185s aren't getting any newer and are getting used and used up. It would be nice if Cessna would recognize that and offer a replacement but that is unlikely. The operators likely wouldn't want to pay the price Cessna would ask for them anyway. I'm kind of curious to see what way the prices go in the future. I'd like to have one but if things keep going the way they are, I'm not going to pay for the privilege. Maybe I'll convert a 182 instead.
Cessna probably thinks that it has the 185 niche 90% covered with the 206 and it probably does. The 206 has a larger, more useful cabin and is just as capable as the 185 on floats and most wheel-based ops. In my opinion, the only place where the 206 falls short of the 185 is on skis and ops that require bush wheels/tundra tires. I agree with you and the OP that 182's are hard to beat for capability, low mx, and price.

Those new 206s are so damn heavy though... what a shame to turn such an incredible plane into such a pig.

What do the assembled regard as a fair price for the one I linked in the OP, if I were to pursue it?
We purchased a 1972 182P about 18 months ago. All original (but in very good shape). Our had about 700hrs SMOH, new top end and 1900TT. Nothing fancy in the panel. Paid $60K cash. So here's my take:

$65K...$70K: 1973 182P w/900hrs left on the motor and only 1600TT
+ $7K...$10K: Pretty nice, recent paint job
+ $2K....$4K: Very nice interior
+ $5K....$8K: Nice, new 3-blade prop (looks awesome, perhaps not practical, even more nose heavy :(
+ $12K..$22K: Pretty nice panel
+ $1K....$1K: Engine Monitor
+ $2K....$4K: ADS-B out (BUT In only see in listed???)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
$94K...$119K (Wow, for weird my high price exactly matched theirs without trying!)

Getting to know 182's a bit better now, if I was in the market for something way more updated this seems like its in really good condition and not beat to heck.

$102K: Initial offer & $108K tops if your mechanic assures you the first annual will be squeaky clean. Its hard to imagine they will get full price so why offer it. If you got it for $108K that leaves you $11K for all the stuff listed next:

Budget another $1500 for pre-buy stuff.
Budget another $3K for the first annual if pre-buy is minimal
Budget yearly $2K for annuals after that (unless you are a A&P or owner assist).
Budget another ?? for a engine heater if you need one (didn't see it listed)
Budget another $4K if the bladders are really old

Pretty darned nice 182. Ideal if its been in the midwest its entire life (no corrosion). That would easily be our last plane. Definitely won't have the useful load of a simple VFR 182P plane, probably at least -100lbs due to the prop, avionics and interior changes.

That's a super helpful post, thank you! Got the logs yesterday. Unfortunately it spent its first 25 years in Florida and had the wings removed after moving to the Midwest for repairs and replacement of corrosion affected sections. I'm going to get someone nearby to take a very, very careful look at it for me and decide whether to proceed...

Check the 206 comment, but I don't think there's really anything out there that substitutes for a 180 or 185 the way owner/pilots really use them. I looked at buying a 180 to add to the hangar last year but the prices really seemed excessive given the age, times and conditions of these planes.

Whats the view here if one is looking for a capable single engine, metal taildragger. Even the RV-6/7/8 start to look viable, as long as one has no aspirations for floats (yes, I know a few have been flown off the water).

Assuming the pre-buy checks out, looks like I'll be buying a 1982 182R with new paint, STec 30, 430W, JPI730, 3300TT and 120SMOH on a PPonk engine!

The only recommendation I have is to install a BRS on it.

Well, looks like I just bought an airplane. Thanks all!

watermark.jpg

Congratulations!!! :cheers: Nice looking plane... Welcome to the world of aircraft ownership... Hang on tight it can be a wild ride...:rollercoaster:

Congratulations!!! :cheers: Nice looking plane... Welcome to the world of aircraft ownership... Hang on tight it can be a wild ride...:rollercoaster:

Thanks! It can indeed, this is my second; replacing my 172 that I bought back in 2016!

Back