For Sale Custom 3D printed key-rings

jkoper

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
jkoper
I make custom Key-rings. You can get your aircraft logo, name, N number, or a custom one off design 3D printed in durable plastic in the colors of your plane. They cost $ 10.00 ea plus postage. Just send me an E-mail with what you would like and I can make it for you. Jim Koper - jrmachining@gmail.com
Key-rings.jpg

This looks really awesome, but I don't know what kind of logo I would do for my Lance, lol

I make custom Key-rings. You can get your aircraft logo, name, N number, or a custom one off design 3D printed in durable plastic in the colors of your plane. They cost $ 10.00 ea plus postage. Just send me an E-mail with what you would like and I can make it for you. Jim Koper - jrmachining@gmail.com
Can you do other logos besides aircraft? Same pricing? What file format do you need?

Yes, other logos are not a problem. pricing would be the same unless it is something that would require a huge amount of design work. I can work from any good image file, jpg, bmp, png.

Thanks
Jim

BFG_Yankee, I see your based at Winchester. I fly my Vagabond in for the Saturday Breakfast occasionally. I'm based at MMI- McMinn County

Jim

Yes, other logos are not a problem. pricing would be the same unless it is something that would require a huge amount of design work. I can work from any good image file, jpg, bmp, png.

Thanks
Jim
How well would this work out?

DTAP-Color-Transparent-Background.png
(click to view full size)

16336.jpg

Is there a discount if I order multiples of the same design?

Six Papa Charlie,
Unfortunately your avatar image has too much fine detail to work well for 3d printing, but the grumman logo will work well. I will post an image of the design when I finish it.

Thanks
Jim

That is the 3D mock-up with color to be added later?
Yes, that is a 3d model of the key-ring. the color is determined by the plastic filament that is used to fabricate the part. Due to the way this process works there are limitations to how many colors can be used and where they occur. I currently have Red, Blue, White, Green, Yellow, and Orange.

Jim

Is there a discount if I order multiples of the same design?
I'm sorry but I cant really give a discounts for multiples of the same design. I am not currently charging anything for my design time, and the key-rings print one at a time so there is no time advantage to do multiples.

Thanks
Jim

Finally a somewhat practical use for a 3D printer (I have always wondered, since most people seem to make little figurines or boxes for their Stratux). You definitely need to change your pricing model. I have helped with this type of pricing for my GF's studio. Charge for design and charge per color change. i.e. $5 per design, $8 for the first color (up to 450 sq mm x 3 mm) and $2 for each additional color or something like that. It has to be worth your time, or you will stop doing it after a while.

I'll buy a few grumman ones.
Can you swing a cirrus logo?

Finally a somewhat practical use for a 3D printer (I have always wondered, since most people seem to make little figurines or boxes for their Stratux). You definitely need to change your pricing model. I have helped with this type of pricing for my GF's studio. Charge for design and charge per color change. i.e. $5 per design, $8 for the first color (up to 450 sq mm x 3 mm) and $2 for each additional color or something like that. It has to be worth your time, or you will stop doing it after a while.

Thank you for your advise, it's definitely something to consider.

Jim

BFG_Yankee, I see your based at Winchester. I fly my Vagabond in for the Saturday Breakfast occasionally. I'm based at MMI- McMinn County

Jim

Oh hey, awesome! I'm here pretty much every breakfast...I'm the airport manager, lol ;)

Assuming you're doing this with a 3D printer, correct? If so, do you have something to scan in three dimensions? Got a very small plastic part that I've been wanting to try and replicate.

Cool I'll look out for you the next time I'm there.
Yes, I'm using a desktop 3d printer. I don't have scanning capabilities I would have to model it in 3d CAD software. A whole aircraft would be quite a challenge.

Jim

The actual printing took a little less then 2 hours. Why, if you don't mind me asking.

I’d be interested in one with my tail number
N721JF

When selecting colors...is the Primary color the raised portion and secondary the background? Specific to Piper Cherokee rings...

Last edited:
When selecting colors...is the Primary color the raised portion and secondary the background? Specific to Piper Cherokee rings...
The background is the primary color. I will have to add that to my description as I'm sure others have been confused as well.

Thanks
Jim

Nice! I quit messing around with my 3D printer the last few years but fired it up again over Christmas break. My goal was to see if I could replicate a deep cherry wood finish on a 3D printed item. I printed using HatchBox Wood PLA filament (30% wood, 70% plastic). You'll notice I printed it vertically. This is because the "side" of a 3d printed wood item looks a hell of a lot more legit than the bottom or top layer. Printing it vertically produced a more realistic surface with the horizontal grain from the printing layers.

Design:
HstFeUq.png

Printing:
0YBNE5s.jpg

Printed:
SY7sRMS.jpg

Sanded:
ar5HVJE.jpg

I really wasn't sure what to do after sanding. One idea I had was to brush on Miniwax Polystain (it forces the color much better than traditional stain). This did not work worth a **** and it was impossible to control the streaking.

Brushed on Polywax
QlhqhIn.jpg

I was pretty convinced at this point that my entire effort was trashed and I gave up for a day. The next day I was looking at it again and decided that the awful streaks would actually look pretty legit if I airbrushed Polystain over-top of it "just so". It's not really intended to be sprayed - but with enough mineral spirits to thin it...it worked. I was amazed at the airbrush results. A few extra coats of clear polyurethane on top and this is what I ended up with:
a3xjY7Q.jpg

Use this technique and you can make some sweet wood keychains!

Now if you guys could just print out these cup vents for Pipers instead of that thin, cheap, overpriced and breakable plastic it is made from now.

0000324_h68736-00-cup-vent_320.jpeg

Back