E/AB IFR Panel Build Suggestions

bigred177

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
bigred
I've come across a fresh airframe without any avionics I'm considering. I'd like to price a panel and autopilot for it but I don't know much about GA avionics in general and less about the experimental possibilities.

I'm definitely looking for solid state: HSI, EADI/flight director, LPV capable, coupled autopilot, altitude preselect, etc. Trained with and fly with Garmin G5 like displays (glass displays of round gauges) but wouldn't mind a G1000 type display.

What I'd like is a capable setup for (obviously) the lowest cost possible that can also drive an autopilot. If a G430W and two uncertified G5s would get the job done I'd be fine with that. I just don't know what's out there, especially in the A/P world. Also really like having the a RMI displayed on the EHSI, I don't know if that's an easy thing or not.

Thoughts?

Happy New Year Fellas

Do you also desire engine monitoring, Comm gear, an audio panel, Txp/ADS-B, etc?

Garmin G3x (which interfaces with a whole system of ancillaries) and Dynon Skyview are the market leaders for "Whole Enchilada" applications. GRT Avionics has excellent products too.

There is a tremendous amount of information over at Vansairforce.com. Also, vendors like Steinair are happy to educate you over the phone if you can clearly describe your needs.

What I'd love is to find for engine monitoring is a single lever FADEC system to run a 300hp engine, but the only thing I've found is the Lycoming IE2. That's a lot more engine and a lot more price than I want.

FADEC is going to add a bunch of $$$ to the price. If you want engine monitoring and a glass panel, look at GRT. I have their HXr displays with remote mounted avionics (except for a Garmin GTN625), EIS and autopilot.

My exp build is almost finished. I chose the Garmin G3X Touch system with remote comm, remote ES txp, waas GPS, GDL39R, and two axis autopilot. Engine monitoring and control of comm, txp, and autopilot are limited to the panel display. Moving map, ADS-B, and synthetic vision w/adhrs are shared via bluetooth so I can use my iPad or iPhone with Garmin Pilot as a backup or additional display. The capability is amazing. To learn how to use it smoothly should be fun. I looked at GRT, MGL, and Dynon systems before I decided on Garmin. To my eyes the G3X Touch and Dynon Skyview have better looking displays. Not everyone agrees with that.

Garmin and Dynon are the leaders in EAB avionics. There’s places that you can farm the whole panel out to and they’ll send you a finished panel, labeled, looms, and the boxes to plug and play.

You can get the same or better capability with EXP avionics cheaper than you can certified. $15K can take you a long way in that marker.

First: What's the plane?

Then: Do you want/need the PFD, communications and EMS to be in the same box? Then you're SkyView or G3X. If you want a "classic" radio stack you can look at something like a Dynon D-180 to do PFD, EMS, and A/P... leaving the rest to another box.

So many ways to go on this.

Someone already mentioned Stein... but I see you're in Round Rock so you should head over to 52F and talk to Walt Arranow. EXP Aircraft Services.

Last edited:
$15K can take you a long way in that market.

I'm in for about $22k with a GTN625, a <single> G3x touch 10" screen, a GTR200, Garmin transponder, audio panel, autopilot, engine monitor, harnesses and antennae. I'm providing the switches and panel design, cutting, painting, and labeling...

At the end of the project I'm into the G3X Touch for about the same. I did choose to have an avionics shop build my harnesses for all the component boxes. That's $6K most guys forget to budget for.

First: What's the plane?

Then: Do you want/need the PFD, communications and EMS to be in the same box? Then you're SkyView or G3X. If you want a "classic" radio stack you can look at something like a Dynon D-180 to do PFD, EMS, and A/P... leaving the rest to another box.

So many ways to go on this.

Someone already mentioned Stein... but I see you're in Round Rock so you should head over to 52F and talk to Walt Arranow. EXP Aircraft Services.

Harmon Rocket.

That's the thing, I'm not sure. Not a lot of panel space but I don't really have a preference for either. Mostly a capability per dollar requirement. I've only flown planes with traditional type setups.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give him a call.

At the end of the project I'm into the G3X Touch for about the same. I did choose to have an avionics shop build my harnesses for all the component boxes. That's $6K most guys forget to budget for.

I'm not worried on that one. I have a Czech Electrical Engineer in the basement I'll have do it as long as I keep him in beer. :aureola::cheers: Dilly Dilly

@BigBadLou

This is what I fly with now. Literally the CAP C-172 on the ramp outclasses our NAV capability.

080610-F-0756R-008.JPG

Look at RV-8 and RV-4 panels on the net. Basically the same panel real estate.

7" skyview or a full GRT setup would be the easiest/cheapest/most capable.

You're probably not going to go to far on redundancy for a Rocket. (My 6A is mostly a cross country cruiser so I designed in a lot of redundancy)

I’m starting with dual G3X Touch’s in my S-LSA, with a 307 autopilot controller in the panel, GTR 200 in the panel (will add 200R later for 2nd com), a GTX45R. Leaving room for a GTN 650 later and G5 backup display, no room for steam with AP & radio panel mounts

How does the Garmin G3x compare to the G500 TXi I was thinking of going with g500 TXI

How does the Garmin G3x compare to the G500 TXi I was thinking of going with g500 TXI

It doesn't.

The G3x series is not for certificated aircraft and costs ~1/3 of the G500 series for the hardware alone.

Dynon’s Skyview is close to being STC approved for some airplanes. Garmin’s G3X Touch is OEM in Cubcrafters’ Part 23 certificated X Cub. If you’re a certificated guy about to drop a bunch of money on glass? You might oughta wait a little to see if Dynon or the G3X gain a foothold in the certificated category.

Don't go with a 7 inch unless you are planning dual screens. The 10 inch will fil in a rocket, I have one in my 4. The 7 inch is just to small for all the info in a single screen set up.

Bob

I’m starting with dual G3X Touch’s in my S-LSA, with a 307 autopilot controller in the panel, GTR 200 in the panel (will add 200R later for 2nd com), a GTX45R. Leaving room for a GTN 650 later and G5 backup display, no room for steam with AP & radio panel mounts

I have to ask. Why the 747 setup in an LSA? Between the money involved, the added weight, etc. it seems like overkill.

The Mrs flys with me a lot, so it was worth it IMO to add the second screen. Also, at some point I intend to teach the grandkids and having the screen on the right will make my job easier. So for me, it’s worth the expense. Going into retirement, this will be my gift to myself an prolly my last plane.

The Mrs flys with me a lot, so it was worth it IMO to add the second screen. Also, at some point I intend to teach the grandkids and having the screen on the right will make my job easier. So for me, it’s worth the expense. Going into retirement, this will be my gift to myself an prolly my last plane.

Sounds like a good plan.

Does the G3X touch have any features different from a standard G3X other than the ability to finger it? Would a standard G3X dual 7" be worth it at $3k used vs ~$6500 new for G3X touch? Will it still drive the auto pilot and all accessories?

@bigred177 just asked a High Wing / Low Wing type question!

Functionally the same AFAIK. There's a user G3Expert on VAF that can help with all questions on their system. Very responsive and complete answers from the factory.

I have a 2-screen non-touch G3X coupled to a GTN 650, SL 30, and a TruTrak GX Pilot autopilot in my panel. Like Rob said, they generally have the same functionality, but a few of features that only the Touch has is:

- 10 and 7 inch landscape screens
- Bluetooth
- Display of true Sectional/IFR Enroute charts (with a FliteCharts subscription)
- Remote control of certain Garmin radios and Garmin audio panels
- Connection to the GAD 27 electrical control system which provides low voltage protection during engine start, a control of the flaps, trim, external lighting, and cockpit lights.
- Supports inputs from the GTX 45R/345/345R transponders, or the GDL 39R
- Can send basic flight plan data to a GTN or GNS WAAS navigator

If looking at a used G3X, another thing to consider is which ADAHRS does it have -- the obsolete GSU 73 or the current GSU 25. The latter is much smaller which typically makes installations easier, particularly if you want to install more than one. If it has the GSU 25(s), you could install the legacy system and upgrade later to a touch system by swapping out displays as there's a 7 inch portrait touch display (GDU 470) that's a drop in replacement for the non-touch GDU 370/375s.

Back