East Coast Ski Slopes

swingwing

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Swingwing
Now that both kids can ski well we are looking for new slopes that are easy to get to with the plane. Any recommendations on the east coast with airports close?

Not sure what your definition of "east coast" is, but New England has ski areas aplenty in easy distance from GA airports. In VT alone, there is the Stowe area (KMVL), Sugarbush Resort (0B7), and Killington (not far from KRUT). I'm sure that similar destinations can easily be found in ME and NH as well.

I love this idea, but I've never actually been able to pull it off personally, because A.) how do I get 2-4 pairs of skis in a plane, gear, etc., and comfortably fit, and B.) be within W&B. Then, once I get to the airport, how do I get to the ski place? Uber and Lyft are sometimes hard to come by. Big Bear for example I think has just one or two Ubers in the whole city

Cool idea though, if you can pull it off a brief write up would be awesome

Just take your boots, and maybe helmets - rent skis at the hill.

Best courtesy car experience: I called up an FBO near Mt. Bachelor a few years ago, it was early April. Me: Hi, I’m thinking of flying in on Saturday, wondering if you might have a crew car available, and I’ll be buying fuel. Them: Sure. Me: Any chance I could have that all day? Them: (checking with someone) Okay, we can do that. Me: Fantastic! But, just full disclosure, I’ll be driving it up to Bachelor for skiing, still okay? Them: No problem.

I filled up both the plane AND the car. Enjoyed some nice spring skiing with a couple friends, and dinner at a Bend brew pub. Back at home by eight pm.

Still like to think of that.

In NY there's Whiteface, with the Lake Placid airport nearby, and my favorite, Gore Mountain, nearest airport is Glens Falls, about a half hour away.

In NY there's Whiteface, with the Lake Placid airport nearby, and my favorite, Gore Mountain, nearest airport is Glens Falls, about a half hour away.

The Lake Placid airport is nice too. They have made upgrades over the last few years. Very close to downtown and the skiing is great. Highly recommended.

Snowshoe, WV used to be one of my favorites. For being so far south, they get good snow. I haven’t been there in quite a while, but the Western Territory is what made it. All the crowds stayed on the other side of the mountain, so you could ski most of the day with no waiting and few people.
https://www.snowshoemtn.com/

Last edited:
White face as a airport
Titus (just west of it) has a airport
Think there's a airport near Jay peak in VT

Jay is the top pick if you want powder vs ice, but thus is the east coast

White face as a airport
Titus (just west of it) has a airport
Think there's a airport near Jay peak in VT

Jay is the top pick if you want powder vs ice, but thus is the east coast
I thought about mentioning Jay, but it's about halfway between Newport (KEFK) and Franklin County (KFSO) and not really a short drive from either. The ones I mentioned are probably your best bet for fly-in skiing in VT, unless there is a better option in the Bennington area.

Disclaimer: I'm not a skiier - at least not downhill skiing - so check out all options before making any plans. I thought about the problem of getting skis into the plane, don't think I could get my cross countries into my Cardinal, at least not comfortably. But if your destination rents skis, that is probably your best bet.

Seven Springs used to have an airport but you couldn't use it in ski season as one of the runs went across it. It's closed now anyhow. You can get the courtesy car over at 2G9 and drive over (less than five miles).

GBR Great Barrington, MA is (almost) within spitting distance of Catamount. And not all that far from Jiminy Peak.
That's all I know, because I don't ski.

Deerfeild Valley (4V8) in Vermont is a stone's throw from Mount Snow (<4 miles).

Snowshoe, WV used to be one of my favorites. For being so far south, they get good snow. I haven’t been there in quite a while, but the Western Territory is what made it. All the crowds stayed on the other side of the mountain, so you could ski most of the day with no waiting and few people.
https://www.snowshoemtn.com/
I like to head out west as much as possible but growing up in the southeast, this was the closest "big mountain" feeling I've had in the east.

I like to head out west as much as possible but growing up in the southeast, this was the closest "big mountain" feeling I've had in the east.

My wife's biggest complaint with many of the NE skiing locations is that they are by and large day trip destinations. She was looking for the stereotypical apres ski fireplace thing. Looks like Snowshoe may provide it. However, I took her to Squaw Valley and that was more to her liking.

My wife's biggest complaint with many of the NE skiing locations is that they are by and large day trip destinations. She was looking for the stereotypical apres ski fireplace thing. Looks like Snowshoe may provide it. However, I took her to Squaw Valley and that was more to her liking.

hhmm, I seem to recall Killington, Stowe, being big time ski towns with plenty to do, lots of hotels and house rentals, etc...

^Yeah, Stowe definitely has stuff to do and has some up scale lodging with apres ski options, etc. Sunday River also is pretty good for that, not much town, but if you stay at the Jordan Grand they have outdoor heated pool and an okay after hours scene

The skiing side is small, but Nemacolin Woodlands resort has an airport on the resort property so transport once you get off the plane is a non issue. PA88.

GBR Great Barrington, MA is (almost) within spitting distance of Catamount. And not all that far from Jiminy Peak.
That's all I know, because I don't ski.

My first time on ski's was at Catamount...many, many moons ago.

Thank you for all the recommendations.

Getting places is no problem. With the 182 it truly is a “if it fits it ships” plane. The hassle is getting the kids and all the **** to the ski slope. I built a camp stove engine preheater today so I can check that issue off the list.

I think we may plan some longer weekend trips to VT or NY and rent a car at the airport. Whiteface is a good call. I was into Lake Placid last fall to hike the peaks. It is a beautiful area.

My wife and I, BC, use to fly into Summerset and have friends pick us up to ski at Seven Springs. Those were fun days!

Stowe is one of wife and I's favorite destinations.,.and we don't even ski! We usually go in the spring to hike/shop/explore. Wonderful town with lots to do and see. Tons of great trails, resteraunts, shops. I have never flown in but the airport is very close to the town and very easy access to the mountain. Obviously I can't speak to the skiing (although I know it's supposed to be the best in the east coast) but the town and surrounding areas are great and beautiful.

Last edited:
If you don't mind renting a car, there's always Montage in Scranton. If you don't want to pay the fuel prices at AVP, Wyoming Valley (WBW) is right next door, but it will be a tad longer drive since AVP is easy access to 81.

Haven't seen Bryce Mtn VA on the list. Not a huge resort but you can walk from the apron to the ski lift.

Also, Windwood is close to Canaan Valley resort in MD, and cheapish rentals are available at the strip for the short drive.

I grew up skiing the east coast...primarily NY and Vermont. Been awhile though... moved to Utah for real snow :D in 2001. In NY I second Gore. Best skiing around that area. I would stay far away from Iceface (errr Whiteface), and the same goes for Killington and Hunter unless you want to join everybody else from NYC. The best skiing I found was Burlington area and points north. Stowe, Bolton Valley, Jay Peak, etc. Careful on wx though. Skied once up there it was so cold could only do one run at a time, and I have a high tolerance of "cold". I've never skied NH with the exception of hiking up to Tuckerman's Ravine. I think they have some good stuff too. My sister ski instructs at Cannon.

My personal favorites in VT are Okemo and Smugglers. Okemo is about 25 minutes from KRUT. Smugglers can be accessed by the same airport as Stowe or by Burlington. Of the resorts I know....

1. Smuggs is great for families small village with like 3 restaurants kinda isolated.

2. Okemo is in Ludlow literally. You could almost walk it. Ludlow is an ok blue collar town. Many places to eat and places to stay often on the ski shuttle route.

3. Killington is big and busy. By far the most terrain. Access road has many places to eat but is expensive. Rutland is 30 minutes away and only OK.

4. Stratton is very upscale and has a nice little village but it is self contained.

5. Stowe is again upscale. Nice town about 15 minutes away.

I have never been to Sugarbush, Mt. Snow, Jay Peak ( have heard very good things), or Mad River Glen (possibly the most difficult ski resort anywhere).

There are others but those are the big ones in VT.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I live almost a whole mile from Gore Mountain. My back yard is a 3000’ grass airstrip. You’ll need to be on skis to use it, though.

Attachments

• 8182F51C-51AE-470F-A058-47E36563743E.jpeg
    8182F51C-51AE-470F-A058-47E36563743E.jpeg
    297.8 KB · Views: 23
I live almost a whole mile from Gore Mountain. My back yard is a 3000’ grass airstrip. You’ll need to be on skis to use it, though.

NICE! what about when its warm out, fly-in party at your place?

Grrrr, maybe in a couple of years when my plane's back together...

I'd do that in a second..give us a date and u will have 20 poa fools in your back yard

Stowe is one of wife and I's favorite destinations.,.and we don't even ski! We usually go in the spring to hike/shop/explore. Wonderful town with lots to do and see. Tons of great trails, resteraunts, shops. I have never flown in but the airport is very close to the town and very easy access to the mountain. Obviously I can't speak to the skiing (although I know it's supposed to be the best in the east coast) but the town and surrounding areas are great and beautiful.
Stowe does have its own unique atmosphere, that's for sure. For the best burgers I've had in Vermont, try the Blue Donkey, on VT-108 going toward Smuggler's Notch. (yes, their slogan is indeed "Kick-A$$ Burgers") But for hiking on Mansfield, I still prefer Underhill State Park on the Burlington side. The parking areas leading up to and at Smuggler's Notch are usually too crowded, and the trails (other than the Long Trail) are not the best hiking trails for exploring the back country.

Back