So, student pilots.. Who are we and where do we stand?

Roughly 10 hours into my PPL Training but money is starting to become an issue. - uuu, that's baaad :(
For years I've been paying off all my debt and when my c.score hit over 800, I confidently applied for a massive credit card and started my training charging everything on the card (knowing that work is secure and income is stable to pay off the card in the future).
Without that card, I wouldn't have been able to save enough to start training but whatever I read prior to starting my training about how long it will take, how much it will cost, none of it was true. Don't believe what you read. They say 40+ hours and you are ready, $10-$15 large total and you finished. Bulls**!
I am at 89 hours and little north of 30 grand and only now I reached the point of CR next month. Good thing the excellent score provided a big credit limit but I was surprised how fast the money was flying out the window. Especially here on the west, where CFI rates at $100 per hour, C-172 is almost $170/h.

But the bright side? Credit card is with an airline, I accumulated enough points to take hubby on a fancy multi-city vacation :)

Ps: here's a trick for any of you trying to have the bank increase your credit limit on those cards: a friend of mine said he needed to use my credit card for a large transaction ($5,000) because he was participating in an educational course and his name and card was already on file with the system but he needed a new name/new card to receive some course at a discount. He gave me the 5K, I gave him my cc. He charged the 5K on my card, got access to that course thing he wanted, I put the cash in the bank the next day and instantly the bank raised the credit limit on that card with 3 extra thousands. More flying time for me :D
So if you know someone (you trust) who's about to make a large purchase and they have the cash for that, lend them your card to put the charge on it, pay it back in full the next day and voila, credit limit goes up!
After I got my plane I also got 2 credit cards with a combined limit of 40k and no interest for 16 months on one and 21 months on another. So I have ample time to not pay any interest. Might consider this option as well.
I am pretty sure someone will chime in and say,if u need new credit cards to fly, u shudnt fly . I don't buy it... just saying. If u can manage ur finances rt, nothing wrong with paying via credit card and not pay interest. Basically free financing by the bank

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

First landing today. Cessna 172N. Practiced power on and power off stalls out in the practice area along with slow flight maneuvering. Kept expecting the CFI to say he had the controls when we were coming in to land. This time he didn’t. This may not be a cheap hobby, not by a long shot, but it is without a doubt an absolute trip. :D

I'm starting to think my wife isn't as excited about me learning to fly as she says. She made me sick (intentionally, I am sure) so I had to cancel my lesson today and might have to cancel Sunday's as well.

Passed with a 90 on my written. 1st attempt and took a few minutes over an hour. I didn't feel too confident, but breezed through most of it. I think I lucked out on getting questions I knew well. Missed two questions on VORs from a careless error and not thinking through the whole question. Saved myself a couple times too by double checking with the legends in the testing supplement. I used ASA Test Prep book and the free online practice tests from King.

I too have the ASA Test Prep Book and started taking the King tests. Glad to know they worked for you.

First IR training flight in 13 months this morning. I am RUSTY. (Not real surprised.) We did basic attitude flying and filled out a performance sheet for the airplane. Also captured and tracked VORs a couple of different vectors and times.

The good: I didn't scare anybody. I did pretty well with level flight, turns, climbs and descents-even when combined. Then she added radio calls (training area traffic calls) in and I handled all that.

The bad: I kept drifting heading to the right and having to get back on it. I'm not used to having a heading bug so she kept reminding me to use it. I don't remember ever flying constant rate climbs before so that was a new experience.

The ugly: MCA dirty under the hood I kept fixating. I get focused on altitude being off and by the time I fixed it, heading was off (30 degrees sometimes). I'd then focus on getting heading back and airspeed was off. Etc. Etc.

CFI comments: "You did much better than you think you did. I kept adding tasks and you kept up. Except MCA dirty. We'll do that again. Checklists! Checklists! Flow is fine, but verify."

Next lesson is Friday.

John

Take my written tomorrow. Do not feel as prepared as I should, but I don't think that feeling will ever go away no matter when I take it.

Also a bit of depressing news. I only need my long solo cross country, dual night cross country, and an hr or so of solo practice before I begin checkride prep. But our 152 just hit the 100 hr mark inspection mark and is grounded and won't even go into the shop until December 18th. I am debating asking my instructor if he wants to just switch over to the 172 (we have 2 in our club) and just finish out on that but will most likely just twiddle my thumbs and study for another 3 weeks until she comes out of maintenance. Last 100 hour she was down for 2 weeks though waiting on a prop AD. I would hate for something like that to happen again.
Did you pass?

Roughly 10 hours into my PPL Training but money is starting to become an issue. - uuu, that's baaad :(
For years I've been paying off all my debt and when my c.score hit over 800, I confidently applied for a massive credit card and started my training charging everything on the card (knowing that work is secure and income is stable to pay off the card in the future).
Without that card, I wouldn't have been able to save enough to start training but whatever I read prior to starting my training about how long it will take, how much it will cost, none of it was true. Don't believe what you read. They say 40+ hours and you are ready, $10-$15 large total and you finished. Bulls**!
I am at 89 hours and little north of 30 grand and only now I reached the point of CR next month. Good thing the excellent score provided a big credit limit but I was surprised how fast the money was flying out the window. Especially here on the west, where CFI rates at $100 per hour, C-172 is almost $170/h.

But the bright side? Credit card is with an airline, I accumulated enough points to take hubby on a fancy multi-city vacation :)

Ps: here's a trick for any of you trying to have the bank increase your credit limit on those cards: a friend of mine said he needed to use my credit card for a large transaction ($5,000) because he was participating in an educational course and his name and card was already on file with the system but he needed a new name/new card to receive some course at a discount. He gave me the 5K, I gave him my cc. He charged the 5K on my card, got access to that course thing he wanted, I put the cash in the bank the next day and instantly the bank raised the credit limit on that card with 3 extra thousands. More flying time for me :D
So if you know someone (you trust) who's about to make a large purchase and they have the cash for that, lend them your card to put the charge on it, pay it back in full the next day and voila, credit limit goes up!
How are you both '10 hours into' and 'at 89 hours'? Did you mean to type 100 hours in? Not sure credit card debt is the best choice of funding, how do you plan to fly after you get your cert? 10-15k is average I think, not quite BS. It takes what it takes though, sounds like you're in a more expensive than average area.

Did you pass?

Sure did, 90%. Missed a couple questions that I shouldn't have but overall felt pretty good about it. I didn't mention it earlier, but some other guy was taking his commercial drone license next to me. I heard him being briefed by the proctor and when the proctor asked if you have ever seen the testing supplement before, the guy said no. Then proceeded to finish the test real quick, followed by a few 4 letter words when he submitted it. I don't think he passed :lol:

Last edited:
I had another lesson this morning. Was informed that the DPE we were planning on using is going to be going south for the winter. I am moving to South Carolina for a few months, so I was given the option to either 1. Do my checkride with a "harder" DPE, ...

Technically there shouldn’t be “harder” or “easier” DPEs... the ride is the ride, and it’s documented as to what it’s supposed to be.

I think it’s weird for your instructor to set you up to be nervous about a DPE by saying that. Once in a great while a DPE is doing something weird and “everyone” knows it, usually. But it’s not common.

I’d forget he ever said that, book the “hard” DPE, do the oral and flight to standards or better, and grin as he shakes your hand.

First IR training flight in 13 months this morning. I am RUSTY. (Not real surprised.) We did basic attitude flying and filled out a performance sheet for the airplane. Also captured and tracked VORs a couple of different vectors and times.

The good: I didn't scare anybody. I did pretty well with level flight, turns, climbs and descents-even when combined. Then she added radio calls (training area traffic calls) in and I handled all that.

The bad: I kept drifting heading to the right and having to get back on it. I'm not used to having a heading bug so she kept reminding me to use it. I don't remember ever flying constant rate climbs before so that was a new experience.

The ugly: MCA dirty under the hood I kept fixating. I get focused on altitude being off and by the time I fixed it, heading was off (30 degrees sometimes). I'd then focus on getting heading back and airspeed was off. Etc. Etc.

CFI comments: "You did much better than you think you did. I kept adding tasks and you kept up. Except MCA dirty. We'll do that again. Checklists! Checklists! Flow is fine, but verify."

Next lesson is Friday.

John

I'd guess when you were doing MCA you may not have had or held enough rudder, and that caused your heading to drift. Common mistake, easily fixed with practice. Your CFI sounds like she was pleased with your performance so that's always a positive. She sounds like a good instructor, organized and prepared. Yeah, use that heading bug! Really an assist in holding a constant heading. Constant rate climbs and descents should have been shown to you from the beginning, maybe you just forgot. Good flight!

Technically there shouldn’t be “harder” or “easier” DPEs... the ride is the ride, and it’s documented as to what it’s supposed to be.

I think it’s weird for your instructor to set you up to be nervous about a DPE by saying that. Once in a great while a DPE is doing something weird and “everyone” knows it, usually. But it’s not common.

I’d forget he ever said that, book the “hard” DPE, do the oral and flight to standards or better, and grin as he shakes your hand.

I like you, Nate. That's exactly my plan. This DPE believes in a longer oral, but my instructor said a student nearly spun the aircraft during a stall and still didn't fail the practical. I'm pretty confident in my oral (haha) so I'm not as worried about that portion.

I'd guess when you were doing MCA you may not have had or held enough rudder, and that caused your heading to drift. Common mistake, easily fixed with practice. Your CFI sounds like she was pleased with your performance so that's always a positive. She sounds like a good instructor, organized and prepared. Yeah, use that heading bug! Really an assist in holding a constant heading. Constant rate climbs and descents should have been shown to you from the beginning, maybe you just forgot. Good flight!

Thanks.

If it was only during MCA I'd agree, except that would be too much right rudder at MCA. (Said no CFI ever.) But it wasn't just during MCA. The irony is the plane has a very slight tendency to roll left. I think I was, perhaps, over correcting for that. We'll see how I do Friday.

John

Next lesson is Friday.

John

Cool! Keep those eyeballs moving. That’s what gets me when I haven’t flown enough on instruments... set a metronome in your head and the eyes have to move at every virtual “click” no matter what the airplane is doing.

I feel ya on the heading bug thing... but if you set it, you’ll see it moving when you look from altimeter to AI, even.... it’s just right there and the motion attracts the eyeballs... very useful. Treat it like an OBS that has to be set for vectors and you’ll soon miss it when it isn’t there. :)

13 months is a long time. Note how rusty you got and it highlights why most folks suggest a full IPC every so often for newly rated Instrument pilots or Instrument pilots like me who can’t find IMC conditions that are flyable very often. Reinforces all the habits. Speeds up the scan that has slowed. Etc.

Didn't get to fly today...plane wouldn't start. It was really cold out (0*C) and someone pulled the oil heater stick out of it a couple hours early.

So we did a flight planning exercise and talked about my first dual cross-country. Should be fun! Got a good one scheduled for the 16th, my first dual.

How are you both '10 hours into' and 'at 89 hours'? Did you mean to type 100 hours in? Not sure credit card debt is the best choice of funding, how do you plan to fly after you get your cert? 10-15k is average I think, not quite BS. It takes what it takes though, sounds like you're in a more expensive than average area.
The 10 he and 89 he were from 2 diff posts

The 10 he and 89 he were from 2 diff posts

Look at the one I quoted, I thought I got them both from that, unless he combined posts at some point into that one

Look at the one I quoted, I thought I got them both from that, unless he combined posts at some point into that one
Yah there is a mis-quote/ non existing quote from OP on the post u quoted

Yah there is a mis-quote/ non existing quote from OP on the post u quoted

OK thanks, I see now, the 10hr post was a one liner that hippike meant to quote and add to.

1.2 under the hood yesterday, 1.6 total on the flight.

Did steep turns (first 4-5 were terrible), slow flight, emergency engine failure (did that because I forgot to pull carb heat on in slow flight, so he said "you lost your engine") which was pretty difficult under the hood for the first time, then some VOR work and back to the airport.

Flew the radial back to the airport on the ILS to about 800' above, then he took over for me to get the foggles off, and I took back the plane to land. After being under the hood so long, getting your eyes back right before landing was weird. Oh, landing was beautiful. Wasn't even a squeaker, made no noise at all. Went from flying to tires rolling with very little movement.

Good lesson day, overall. Shook off some hood rust and got in some good instruction.

Saturday is a cross-country (dual).

1.2 under the hood yesterday, 1.6 total on the flight.

Did steep turns (first 4-5 were terrible), slow flight, emergency engine failure (did that because I forgot to pull carb heat on in slow flight, so he said "you lost your engine") which was pretty difficult under the hood for the first time, then some VOR work and back to the airport.

Flew the radial back to the airport on the ILS to about 800' above, then he took over for me to get the foggles off, and I took back the plane to land. After being under the hood so long, getting your eyes back right before landing was weird. Oh, landing was beautiful. Wasn't even a squeaker, made no noise at all. Went from flying to tires rolling with very little movement.

Good lesson day, overall. Shook off some hood rust and got in some good instruction.

Saturday is a cross-country (dual).

I feel ya. Most of my steep turns are terrible. Pretty cool instrument training though- I don't think we messed with the VOR too much on mine.

Whew...FINALLY some progress to report.
I found that theory was too much combined with flying lessons a while back and since here in Norway one has to have passed the exam to be able to solo, and I was nearing my first solo decided to concentrate on ground school to get the exams out of the way.
So I took the nine sections of the exam in October. They mention "It can take up to three weeks to get the results" and they aren't kidding. They really do take that long...to the DAY. So first results were I passed 6 (with good margin. I was very happy with the grades) but failed (miserably) the last three.
Air Law and ATC, Navigation, and (of course...) meteorology.
Took those three again almost three weeks ago to the day. I even rented a room in the hotel where the exams are held the night before, even though its in the same city I live in. Traffic to the exam is killer, and I wanted to have a night alone to study up some more, and not stress with traffic to the exam (held at 5 p.m. so peak rush hour).
Spent the last three weeks being sure I 1) failed one of the three, 2) failed two of the three, 3) passed all...barely, 4) failed all.
Just got the results and passed all three...with good margin. That didn't really enter my mind as a possibility :)

I am SO relieved. Now I just have to renew my med, have an appointment for monday, and then it's just FLY!! Of course, now in winter less good weather days, but I am so happy right now. Sorry for making this so long, I JUST got the results, and needed to share with folks that get it.

Congrats @LongRoadBob! Sure sounds like it's more of an ordeal than here Bob.

Yeah, I'm not sure (maybe it's just me :) ) but one instructor did mention that he had been in the US and felt that they had slightly less theoretical requirements, but on the other hand slightly more and better hands on, actual flying. If I had to choose, it sounds better with more experience in the cockpit.

One thing I really am looking forward to beside getting to fly again without worrying about exams, I can start rereading those books for pleasure, insight, etc. It really is a different feel when you aren't constantly thinking "I HAVE to remember this, it will for sure be on the exam" all the time while reading.
The pressure is off, and I am still very interested in most of what we had to learn, so I can read leisurely and really get into it.

But mainly to fly again. It's been a while now. The club is selling "my" plane (Piper Cherokee) and I'm going over to a Cessna 172 which I am looking forward to. Thanks!

Another IR lesson today. More attitude flying. Navigation (both tracking VOR and using the GPS screen for SA), constant rate climbs and descents, both straight and while turning, slow flight in a dirty configuration with turns (messed that up chasing things last week), steep turns under the hood and radio work while doing climbs with turns. And a nice cross wind landing at the end in 10ish knot 80 degree crosswinds...

My scan is much better than last week. I fly again Friday but it will be a short lesson.

Had to postpone my solo c x today due to high winds along my route and at my first destination airport, so i opted to practice X wind landings at my home base KCRQ. I guess a few others decided to do the same....

Ed

Another IR lesson Friday. Time was short due to other conflicts, so we stayed in the pattern. I did my first simulated 0-0 takeoff. I can't really imagine a situation where I'd ever, ever want to do that in real life. According to the instructor I did it "perfectly". Other than the freak out factor, it's not rocket science: line up carefully, hold the brakes, smooth slow power addition while keeping the DG and TC centered, include airspeed in the scan and rotate using the AI at the correct speed, then wait for it to fly off. We did have a small crosswind component but not really enough to make much difference.

Other than that it was under the hood at ~200' give or take, standard rate turns to a heading (I am consistently setting the heading bug now) while climbing or descending, maintaining altitude and speed, out from under at varying points on final. 6 landings and a go around (instructor induced cow on the runway). Seems pretty easy at this point.

John

First cross-country Saturday (pics in the other thread). Flight was 3.2 hours! Puts me a little over 66 hours now.

Unfortunately (or not) I'm leaving on vacation out of the country (Colombia) for 2 1/2 weeks starting Saturday so I won't have another lesson until I return. That's scheduled for January 13th. SOOOO far away!

CFI said we'd do pattern work to knock the rust off then discuss the night cross-country. And after that it's pretty much getting the requirements met and practicing. I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel!

Hey everyone, new student pilot here.

I'm ~ 8.5 hours into this adventure and it's starting to seem like it's gonna be A LOT harder than I anticipated! I have discovered some basic facts though:
1) I am absolutely terrible at radio communication (what language is it they speak anyways?)
2) I apparently get nauseous flying S Turns across a road. I had just done my first three or four complete turns around a point and went right into the S turns when, with zero WARNING, cold sweat instantly leapt off my forehead, soaked my clothes and my stomach decided it wanted to practice somersaults!
3) I cannot keep a Diamond DA20 straight on the ground to save my dadgum life! That 'not-connected to the rudder' nose wheel sucks! Take-offs can be a real treat with that lack of ability as well...

I have put this dream off for 33 years now (life got in the way) so I am not giving up. I just wanted to share my consistent string of blunders with someone besides my CFIs.

I'm ~ 8.5 hours into this adventure and it's starting to seem like it's gonna be A LOT harder than I anticipated! I have discovered some basic facts though:
1) I am absolutely terrible at radio communication (what language is it they speak anyways?)
2) I apparently get nauseous flying S Turns across a road. I had just done my first three or four complete turns around a point and went right into the S turns when, with zero WARNING, cold sweat instantly leapt off my forehead, soaked my clothes and my stomach decided it wanted to practice somersaults!
3) I cannot keep a Diamond DA20 straight on the ground to save my dadgum life! That 'not-connected to the rudder' nose wheel sucks! Take-offs can be a real treat with that lack of ability as well...

I have put this dream off for 33 years now (life got in the way) so I am not giving up. I just wanted to share my consistent string of blunders with someone besides my CFIs.

None of this sounds unusual. One of the club members where I was training made a nice little 1/4 page sheet with all the basic VFR departure and arrival comms scripted with blanks to fill in for ATIS info, runway, etc. That was a real help until I got more used to the comms. I've never had motion sickness so I dodged that one. As for steering on the ground (even in a C-172 who's rudder pedals are only connected via bungee cords) the CFI I was flying with had me sit on my hands to taxi while he handled the cross wind inputs. Two or three trips to/from the runway like that and I got it.

You'll get there. It's a whole raft of new eye-hand skills.
John

the CFI I was flying with had me sit on my hands to taxi while he handled the cross wind inputs
- haha, when I don't pay attention, I still catch myself turning the yoke while steering the aircraft with my feet. I just can't shake the ingrained habit of trying to turn the plane on the ground with my hands :D My CFI used to slap my hand gently when I did that.

I am absolutely terrible at radio communication (what language is it they speak anyways?)
Listen to liveatc, or watch youtube videos of ATC communications with subtitles, that seemed to help me a lot when I started using the radio. Don't worry, it will get easier very quickly!

Got sporty's i instrument course, so i guess I am student again. Most of the stuff is going above my head. So far I have learnt, keep ur wings level in IMC at all times, unless banking and u are golden.

What I like to do is when on the computer at home pull up liveatc.net and go to my home airport for listening to the tower and at the same time go to flightradar24.com and view the traffic at this same airport. They are not always in sync but it's fun to listen and watch traffic at the same time.

Bryant, I’ve had all the issues you mentioned, and plenty more. I started in my late fifties , and I’m convinced both the book and kinesthetic learning take longer at this age. You’ll get discouraged, but keep plugging away. You’ll break through whatever the current issue is, move on to the next, and it all will come together for you. Hang in there!

And btw, I took my check ride yesterday, he punched a hole in my old plastic certificate, and gave me this nice new paper one! :)

Last edited:
29 hours as of today. Talking about solo in the next few days :).. At 61 takes a bit longer to get the feel of things and 35 years of hang gliding needs to deprogrammed. But finally can land reasonably consistently.

Back